Author Topic: Shoes  (Read 4472 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Shoes
« on: November 28, 2005, 06:04:40 AM »
I need some business casual appropriate shoes.  I prefer brown leather and a sole with good traction.  My size is a 10C (narrow) with high/rigid arches.

In the past few years, I've worn Doc Martin, Clark, and Rockport.

Any suggestions?

Chris

Smith

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 06:13:44 AM »
Merrell.

mtnbkr

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 06:21:10 AM »
They're a bit too casual for my needs.

Chris

Unisaw

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 06:35:20 AM »
Rockport; Nunn Bush
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Shoes
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 06:39:27 AM »
what ever is cheap at DSW

Wink

I was looking at 50 timberland dress shoes at a discount place in PA on Friday
They were nice but 50 bucks a pair....

I can find Sketchers for 30...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 06:49:37 AM »
what ever is cheap at DSW
Cheap shoes kill my feet.  Narrow widths aren't cheap when you can find them.  

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 06:52:15 AM »
Quote from: Unisaw
Rockport; Nunn Bush
I just wore out a pair of Rockports in just over a year.  Over at Zappos.com, there aren't any 10B or 10C Nunn Bush shoes listed.

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 08:20:22 AM »
Dunham Ruggards.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

grampster

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 08:31:37 AM »
google up Wolverine Worldwide.  Nose around.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

DrAmazon

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2005, 08:58:54 AM »
Red Wings and Dunhams.  Check www.nbcloseouts for Dunhams.
Experiment with a chemist!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Shoes
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 09:03:40 AM »
My $0.02:

Red Wing
They will fit you correctly and have a fine product.  Selection is more oriented toward those with high demands on their footgear, but business casual models are available.

I wear Red Wings in a business casual enviroment every day.  It took me 4 years to wear out the sole with 5 days/week wear.  I then had them resoled and bought another pair.  I now alternate workdays with the resoled & the newer pair.  I expect that, if I remain in a business casual environment, I will have to resole them both in about 8 years.

For the price of two pair of Rockports (1 pair Red Wings), I got 4 years of service.  For the price of 1 pair of Rockports (re-sole), I will get another 4 years.

Allen Edmunds
Few rubber soles here and they are more oriented toward business formal, but many can be worn in business casual environment.  You can pay more for a shoe, but you won't get a better shoe or a more comfortable shoe in this class.

I haven't worn them enough to wear out the original soles.  Every time I wear them, however, I am reminded why I don't buy Florsheim & Rockports anymore.

------------

Both Red Wings and Allen Edmunds are pricier than the average shoe.  More importantly, they are of a much higher quality than the average shoe.

My wife never complains about my prediliction for initially-pricey shoes.  She knows that I buy quality, take care of them, and I prefer classic or timeless styles that will not make me look like a fool a few years hence.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

...has left the building.

Shoes
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 12:40:39 PM »
Alden makes a good shoe IMHO.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Shoes
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 12:59:22 PM »
+1 for Red WIngs.

With my size I am extremely hard on footwear.  I was averaging 8-10 months on a pair of dress shoes. Bought my first pair of RedWings when I found that they carry extremely wide widths. I am wider than a 6E and they have an 'H' width that fits el perfecto (yes, I have duck feet). The first pair lasted almost six years and I am four years into the second pair with only minor wear and tear visible. Unfortunately, they stopped making the wingtips in my width and only carry the plain uppers now. The 'tips are still available in most other widths, though.

They were a little more in the beginning, but a lot less in the end.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

pauli

• http://episteme.arstechnica.com
Shoes
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2005, 04:18:10 PM »
the current model of my business casual footwear: http://www.wolverinebootsandshoes.com/catalog/detail.aspx?pid=7219&stid=M&stocknumber=&parnavid=BGPG

it's worth noting that the uppers on my pairs are much more conservatively cut and have much smoother leather... and i polish them. what sticks out from under a pants leg is easy to identify as a boot, but at the same time, not obnoxiously so. and they are dress shoe shiny. i've never had a complaint. the steel toe is quite a plus for the sort of pc tech work i tend to end up doing. the steel shank is nice, too.

the pair i have on right now is about seven years old, and i'm really not sure how the soles are still attached, to tell you the truth. this is not my work pair, it's my comfortable pair for when i'll be standing for a LONG time. ie, i wear them to the range Smiley my work pair is two or three years newer, and in great shape. i did have to have some stitching repaired recently. they're currently drying after i washed them and applied fresh polish; tonight or tomorrow i'll brush them up to a near mirror shine. then i will promptly brush up against something rolleyes

best part is that since i bought them at either rugged wearhouse or gabriel brothers, they were $45 a pair. that in mind, the fact that one upper may be 1/4" ahead of the other really doesn't bother me. slightly irregular for the win!

oh, and for those times when boots are absolutely, positively not appropriate... i've got steel toed hush puppies. :p

mtnbkr

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 05:21:27 PM »
Folks,

I appreciate the suggestions, but the key words here are NARROW WIDTH.  Most of the brands suggested don't offer anything narrower than a medium.  I need a B/C (medium is D).  The only brand suggested that offers a narrow was the Allen Edmunds and they're way out of my price range.

Chris

telewinz

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 05:27:48 PM »
Try ebay, great prices and great shoes.
Career Corrections

Dannyboy

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 05:29:52 PM »
Born, or if you want to spend a few bucks, Mephisto.  I recommend the Borns.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Shoes
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 05:42:47 PM »
Larry's Shoes.

http://s105378385.oneandoneshop.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=15438bcbef1fdfb/shopdata/index.shopscript

Might be hard to find a location near you, though. They're reorganizing. I've bought almost every pair of shoes I've owned for the last 35 years there.

They do have an online store. They specialize in 'difficult to fit' sizes. In a dress show I wear a 12 AA but I can wear a AAAA if it's available. Yes, my feet look like cross-country skis...and I have absolutely no arch. On a wet tile floor I can stick like a suction cup. I can make rude noises with my feet.

If you're ever near a Larry's, stop in. They know how to fit your foot. They carry the very best shoes, and the prices are good.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

...has left the building.

Shoes
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 05:57:18 PM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
Folks,

I appreciate the suggestions, but the key words here are NARROW WIDTH.  Most of the brands suggested don't offer anything narrower than a medium.  I need a B/C (medium is D).  The only brand suggested that offers a narrow was the Allen Edmunds and they're way out of my price range.

Chris
Alden does have some narrow ones but they're frequently north of $400.

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
Shoes
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 07:30:46 PM »
I like my Doc Martens. Got them at www.zappos.com they usually have a sale of some sort going on.

Smith

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 02:11:07 AM »
Mtnbkr, since you said narrow, I'll chime in again.  I have narrow feet too and Red Wing hooked me up.  I say go there and get fitted properly.

mtnbkr

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 03:43:03 AM »
Looks like we have a winner: http://www.redwingshoe.com/shoe-zoom.cfm?style=8619

The first time I searched their site, all I found were mediums.  

Chris

Smith

• friend
Shoes
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 01:45:37 AM »
I have had that exact shoe.  I really liked it.