Author Topic: Fort Hood Trial  (Read 2214 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Fort Hood Trial
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:25:06 PM »
The judge has halted the trial because Major Hasan's "standby" attorney thinks the defendant is trying to be convicted.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/08/07/Judge-halts-trial-in-Fort-Hood-shooting-rampage

I happen to agree with the attoreny, but I think if a defendant chooses to plot a course that will lead to his (or her) conviction, that's his/her right. I don't think the trial should be halted. I think the trial should proceed, that Major Hasan should be convicted, and that he should be sentenced to life in prison without possibility for parole -- one life sentence for each victim, to be run consecutively, not concurrently. He should not be allowed to escape the consequences of his actions by execution.

IMHO, what Hasan clearly wants is to be put to death so he can (at least to his twisted way of thinking) be considered a martyr for (radical) Islam. He doesn't deserve to be allowed that exercise in self-glorification. Let him spend his life in prison, where every day for the rest of his life he can look at his paralyzed body and think of the lives he took.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Fort Hood Trial
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 04:34:07 PM »
Fort Leavenworth is lovely this time of year.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:35:35 PM »
Hasan got the idiots in charge to delay proceedings for months by refusing to shave.

Now another delay? He WANTED to plead guilty, but wasn't allowed to - so the "standby" attorney gets the judge to halt things because he's decided that the guy who wanted to plead guilty wants to be convicted.  :facepalm:

Bum sure knows how to work the military legal system, which is clearly being run by buffoons.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
The judge has halted the trial because Major Hasan's "standby" attorney thinks the defendant is trying to be convicted.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/08/07/Judge-halts-trial-in-Fort-Hood-shooting-rampage

I happen to agree with the attoreny, but I think if a defendant chooses to plot a course that will lead to his (or her) conviction, that's his/her right. I don't think the trial should be halted. I think the trial should proceed, that Major Hasan should be convicted, and that he should be sentenced to life in prison without possibility for parole -- one life sentence for each victim, to be run consecutively, not concurrently. He should not be allowed to escape the consequences of his actions by execution.

IMHO, what Hasan clearly wants is to be put to death so he can (at least to his twisted way of thinking) be considered a martyr for (radical) Islam. He doesn't deserve to be allowed that exercise in self-glorification. Let him spend his life in prison, where every day for the rest of his life he can look at his paralyzed body and think of the lives he took.

I disagree.

post commander needs to take him outside and put a bullet in his head immediately.

We don't imprison vermin. We exterminate them.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
The [bleep]ing "standby" attorney needs to shut his pie hole and stand by unless and until Hasan asks for his advice.

And the [bleep]ing judge needs to instruct him to do just that.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 04:48:17 PM »
I disagree.

post commander needs to take him outside and put a bullet in his head immediately.

Normally I would agree with you. However, in the case of radical Islamic terrorists who, in their eyes and in the eyes of their cohorts and sympathizers, achieve martyrdom by dieing for the cause, I don't think it appropriate to provide them an easy path to their self-styled martyrdom. If they are killed in the act of a terroristic attack, that's one thing. To hand them an easy martyrdom after the fact, when they can instead be allowed to live with the shame of having failed in their mission and failed to achieve their hoped-for martyrdom  ... what's the point? I say let them live with their failure rather then help them achieve martyrdom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 04:50:56 PM »
I disagree.

Yup.

This is a turncoat traitor, if the evidence demonstrates such or he confesses to it.  A violent enemy on a domestic military installation.

Frankly...

We declared war against "radical islam."  And "terrorism."  The battlefronts for these entities are poorly defined, but Hassan brought one to Fort Hood.  Given the sheer number of witnesses and the egregious violation of trust, it's not out of my normally libertarian/anarchist realm of thought to think it appropriate for his commanding officer to clap an M9 just behind his ear and pull the trigger.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
Hasan got the idiots in charge to delay proceedings for months by refusing to shave.

Now another delay? He WANTED to plead guilty, but wasn't allowed to - so the "standby" attorney gets the judge to halt things because he's decided that the guy who wanted to plead guilty wants to be convicted.  :facepalm:

Bum sure knows how to work the military legal system, which is clearly being run by buffoons.

The UCMJ and military legal system does not permit the defendant to plead guilty in a capital case.  The trial judge has no discretion on this.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
Normally I would agree with you. However, in the case of radical Islamic terrorists who, in their eyes and in the eyes of their cohorts and sympathizers, achieve martyrdom by dieing for the cause, I don't think it appropriate to provide them an easy path to their self-styled martyrdom. If they are killed in the act of a terroristic attack, that's one thing. To hand them an easy martyrdom after the fact, when they can instead be allowed to live with the shame of having failed in their mission and failed to achieve their hoped-for martyrdom  ... what's the point? I say let them live with their failure rather then help them achieve martyrdom.

Well I , as a taxpayer and soldier, am fine with that. i loathe the idea of the military paying to feed and clothe him ad infinitum.

I hope that as soon as he's in, the CO of leavenworth puts him in genpop. Problem will solve itself instantly.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 05:11:56 PM »
Is Leavenworth as bad as San Quentin and other major prisons?

I would think with it being exclusively a military prison, the population would be considerably less unruly.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 05:25:29 PM »
Is Leavenworth as bad as San Quentin and other major prisons?

I would think with it being exclusively a military prison, the population would be considerably less unruly.

Sure it would. But, you don't think a bunch of former military (a large chunk of whom love their country and just did bad things) would take care of the problem? I know I would.

Leavenworth is actually pretty tame. But it's filled with military personnel. Military personnel sometimes lie, cheat, beat their wives. Sometimes they steal, sometimes they kill.

But at some point, they all swore an oath. Some of them break that oath. But many of them still believe in it.

I don't think he'd last a week.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 06:40:05 PM »
Fort Leavenworth is lovely this time of year.

So is Gitmo....and I really want to know who he's been talking to.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 08:01:09 PM »
The UCMJ and military legal system does not permit the defendant to plead guilty in a capital case.  The trial judge has no discretion on this.

I understand this and the article so stated. This was not about Hasan entering a plea. It's about how (badly) he is conducting his own defense. In essence, the (standby) attorney is offended that Hasan is trying to throw the game. While it probably is (and should be) unethical for an attorney representing a client to throw the game, when an individual is representing himself there is no applicable code of ethics, and IMHO the (standby) attorney is out of place making an issue of this.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »
How dare Hasan contradict the Obama administration narrative!
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 08:45:07 PM »
Well I , as a taxpayer and soldier, am fine with that. i loathe the idea of the military paying to feed and clothe him ad infinitum.

I hope that as soon as he's in, the CO of leavenworth puts him in genpop. Problem will solve itself instantly.

What?!?

It's 700 miles from Hood to Leavenworth.  That'd be 20 gallons of gas just in my little Honda!  I ain't payin' for that.  There's plenty of good walls and at least one bullet within a few yards of him now.