Author Topic: Dillon SDB Break  (Read 2640 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Dillon SDB Break
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »
I went out today to load up my last few hundred 9mm pills.

On the 4th pull of the lever, the shell plate entered all 4 dies on top to its apex, then the set bolt in the center of the shellplate snapped in two.

Fully disabled the press.  I can't retract the stub of bolt in the middle of the ram.

I'll be taking it to Dillon tomorrow.

I bought it second-hand with an unknown round count, and I've probably done about 6000 rounds or so on it.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Dillon SDB Break
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:24:22 AM »
Look for The Brown Truck of Joy.

As I understand these things, Dillon not only stands behind their product but has outstanding customer service.  That phone call should get you put back into business.

stay safe.

WAIT!

"Taking it to Dillon"?  You are close to them?  If they let you inside, get pictures of the magic elves that make the stuff.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 08:25:46 AM »
Dillon has a commercial store now.

AZ will walk in with his broken Dillon and walk out with a new one. No charge.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:45:33 AM »
I had problems with my SDB several years ago, part of the priming system broke. Dillon sent me a new part, no charge.

The new part didn't fit. It turns out I had an early SDB, and Dillon had re-engineered the entire priming system since I'd bought mine.

The elf at Dillon apologized, and a few days later, I had an entire NEW priming system - no charge.

Dillon is one of the BEST companies out there when it comes to customer service.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »
I bought a Square Deal when they first came out. had a couple of minor part failures and Dillon took care of them. Had another when the handle broke at the link. The Dillon tech that took my call noticed my history and asked how many rounds it had loaded. I told him 30k maybe more. He asked if they could have it back for the engineering guys to look over, promised to pay shipping both ways and have it back in 10 days. I received it 7 days later totally rebuilt/refurbished to new condition and they threw some freebies in with it besides. Its still cranking them out no problems.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 03:56:56 PM »

WAIT!

"Taking it to Dillon"?  You are close to them?  If they let you inside, get pictures of the magic elves that make the stuff.

Dillon's main warehouse and storefront is in north Scottsdale.  About half a mile from my office (that I go to once a week).  Or, about 20 miles from my front door.

I go in to it probably once a month or so, to pick up odds and ends for reloading if they have anything in stock.  Been tight recently.

Also have Bruno's Reloading Supply not far from work, up in Deer Valley.  Another awesome place.  Great prices on powder and primers.  And them being local, I just swing by and pick up rather than paying hazmat and shipping.  Though I do pay sales tax. :mad:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
Just looked at reloading equipment for the first time in a few years... 

JEEEEE-iminy Cricket!  I recall the Lee Pro 1000 as being a little over $100 and a possibility for a "set it up once and done," loader.  Now it has a $250+ Lee price, ~$175 from MidwayUSA.

Inflation, er, "Quantitative Rogering" and Obamascare prices, I expect.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
i havent bought much reloading equipment in the last few years but my neighbor used to be a machinest at Lee which is in the next town over. I got a ton of factory seconds stuff through him for cheap.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 07:13:20 PM »

JEEEEE-iminy Cricket!  I recall the Lee Pro 1000 as being a little over $100 and a possibility for a "set it up once and done," loader.  Now it has a $250+ Lee price, ~$175 from MidwayUSA.

Actually interested in a Pro 1000?  I haven't used mine since getting the Classic Turret.

Inflation, er, "Quantitative Rogering"

=D

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »
Well, I didn't walk out with a new one.

I am currently Dillon-less.

They'll ship it back to me when it's all fixed.  Should have it by next week sometime.
--Lysander Spooner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 08:51:13 PM »

JEEEEE-iminy Cricket!  I recall the Lee Pro 1000 as being a little over $100 and a possibility for a "set it up once and done," loader.  Now it has a $250+ Lee price, ~$175 from MidwayUSA.

Inflation, er, "Quantitative Rogering" and Obamascare prices, I expect.

WHAAAT?

The Lee Pro 1000 is $165.35 from Natchez, but that's including dies in the caliber of your choice, case feeder, on-press priming system, and Autodisk powder dispenser. That's not a bad deal when you compare it to any other brand of press that includes everything you need to start loading.

Dillon's service is phenomenal. A few years ago a friend bought some reloading equipment at a garage sale. It included a Dillon balance beam powder scale. He already had one, so he gave me the extra -- but it didn't include the little pan that you transport the powder in.

I called Dillon to ask about buying a replacement pan. They told me they couldn't just sell me a pan, I had to send in the scale. Didn't make much sense, but I did it. When it came back, it had been cleaned and recalibrated, it sported a spiffy new pan ... and they didn't charge anything.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:55:00 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 09:43:26 PM »
I wish Dillon would get into the vehicle market. I would pay a lot for a vehicle with that kind of warranty and customer service even if it only came in smurf blue.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 10:27:47 PM »
https://fsreloading.com/reloading-equipment/presses/progressive-presses/lee-pro-1000/

$169 from FS Reloading.  (My preferred source for Lee stuff.  Good prices and I get it quick.)

How long ago was it just over $100?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 06:55:55 AM »
https://fsreloading.com
How long ago was it just over $100?

If it has been since 1999, I missed it.  I got started in reloading around that time and bought a Lee Turret because their progressives were well over $100 at the time (the turret press was about $60ish IIRC).

When Lee upgraded the turret press in the mid 2000s, I bought the updated model because, again, no progressive was anywhere close in price (lee or otherwise).  At that time, the updated Turret was $80-$90. 

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 11:26:39 AM »
I wish Dillon would get into the vehicle market. I would pay a lot for a vehicle with that kind of warranty and customer service even if it only came in smurf blue.

If Dillon gets into the vehicle market, I want one of their Suburbans with the minigun setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C73EZOM0nrY

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »
When Lee upgraded the turret press in the mid 2000s, I bought the updated model because, again, no progressive was anywhere close in price (lee or otherwise).  At that time, the updated Turret was $80-$90. 

The updated (4-hole) Turret Press is still $74.87 from Natchez. Lee now offers a heavier "Classic" turret press with a cast iron base that sells for a bit more. For anyone getting started in reloading, the Turret Press starter kit at $120 is the best deal available.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 01:17:11 PM »
My first Lee Turret was the old 3-hole model.  I updated it to the 4-hole with an update kit.  The 2nd press I mentioned is the heavier cast model and is the one I use today.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
Actually interested in a Pro 1000?  I haven't used mine since getting the Classic Turret.

mtnbkr seems to like his Classic Turret, too.

Why does your 1000 sit idle?  What caliber is it?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 01:56:06 PM »
mtnbkr seems to like his Classic Turret, too.

Why does your 1000 sit idle?  What caliber is it?

It's no caliber now.  I'm keeping the 9mm die set that it came with.  (I also "borrowed" the Pro Autodisk off it to get the Classic Turret running.) 

I'm not using it because the Classic Turret, even with 4 pulls/loaded cartridge, is a lot less trouble than the the Pro 1000.  It's also safer loading taller cartridges like .38 Special, because I can more easily visually check the powder charge.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 09:36:11 AM »
I have a Lee catalog from 2000.  It shows MSRP at $199.

I have a Natchez Shooters Supply catalog from 1998.  It shows the Lee Pro at $119.  So, 15 years ago they were "just over $100".

That's when I was starting to handload, and was accumulating equipment.  Glad I didn't get one then, as I think the frustration level combined with newbie-hood would have driven me from handloading.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
Customer service is likely the best ROI of "advertising" dollars.

It is always a pleasure to find a company or person who understands this simple concept.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
FYI, this problem happened on the 21st (a Sunday).

I took the unit to Dillon on the afternoon of the 22nd.

They sent it back to me on a UPS truck so that I received it on Friday, the 26th.

That's pretty awesome.
--Lysander Spooner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
Dillon has a commercial store now.

AZ will walk in with his broken Dillon and walk out with a new one. No charge.

where is that? I've been considering moving from the autocratic kingdom of harry reid nevada
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »
where is that? I've been considering moving from the autocratic kingdom of harry reid nevada

Scottsdale, AZ.

Pretty high-priced living in Scottsdale, though.  Pretty much all the small business entrepreneurship of the PHX valley lives in Scottsdale and Cave Creek (right next to each other).  There are NO cheap apartments anywhere in Scottsdale, with the possible exception of way down in south Scottsdale near ASU and Tempe.  And even those are much nicer than a cheap apartment you'd find in Phoenix proper.

Relocating to the PHX area on the cheap would probably involve headed to the west side of town.  Glendale, Buckeye, Avondale.  However, I don't think that side of town is as economically vibrant as the east side.  All those Scottsdale entrepreneurs don't want to drive 40 miles across town to their business site.  They want it somewhere along the east side 101/202 corridor.

--Lysander Spooner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 11:17:26 AM »
I grew up near 75th and Indian School (old "wino junction").  Was a pretty nice little lower middle class development (John F Long) back then, with cotton, lettuce, onion fields all around.

I drove out there in a rental car back in 2001 and it's become a barrio.  Not a tree or blade of grass and every house has ten or 12 cars half of which are up on blocks. 

The grade school has barbwire around it and is totally closed off hours.  We used to could go down on weekends and play on swings, etc.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin