Author Topic: World reaction to a completely unexplainable event  (Read 6982 times)

Snowdog

• friend
World reaction to a completely unexplainable event
« on: March 28, 2014, 03:17:25 AM »
My imagination slips gears at about 3am....

If an airliner "went missing" and by chance was found shortly after in the form of a debris field on the surface of the moon, what would likely be the global reaction? 

After the initial panic subsides, would the world be any more unified than it was before the discovery?

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: World reaction to a completely unexplainable event
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 05:13:03 AM »
SWMBO and I say this all the time, nothing will unify mankind quicker as discovering we are not alone.  The event you describe will have the tinfoilers come out in force.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:22:35 AM »
Front of the moon where everybody could theoretically see it, or back of the moon where we need to trust sattelite pictures and computer-generated images?

Plausability/believability for front-of-the-moon would be <25% at best.  Everybody with 1.5 neurons would be harping on how come "they" didn't see it when it landed there.

Plausability/believability for back-of-the-moon would be >75%.  Everybody with 0.75 neurons would be quoting every sci-fi story, movie, and tv show to "prove" how it happened.  And they could name the alien beings responsible in 4 notes!

Jules Verne had to wait until two folks bought & read his stories and then for a third to overhear them discussing it, and for newspapers/letters to spread the word.  Orson Wells had to rely on the popularity of "Fireside Theater" for an audience, and then for the networks to pick up on the reaction/response..  With Facebook & twitter & the rest of the internet The Abominable Snowman, who is still stuck with dial-up, will know about it in mere hours - and then send eight walls of text (each in 15 parts) proving his theory is the correct one.

Yes, I have faith in humankind.  More's the pity what I have faith it will do.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »
SWMBO and I say this all the time, nothing will unify mankind quicker as discovering we are not alone.  The event you describe will have the tinfoilers come out in force.

There will always be an abundance of toadies, boot lickers and collaborators. Either as individuals or on a national level.
Don't think for one second that even the USofA would back down from a chance to be top dog with a little help from "above".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 10:36:28 AM »
My imagination slipped off its leash last week:  

President Obama, rather than being anti-gun, is really doing his best to get everyone in the U.S. well-armed in order to defend against what he knows will be the coming alien attempt to take over the Earth...

"Gorke satu leio'aa Earth.  Nakro'oma-el taneog-i AR-15 bosnogde ple Chevy Suburban."

Translation:

"We can't invade Earth.  There'll be an AR-15 behind every Chevy Suburban."

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 11:04:54 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
You crackpots didnt slip gears, yall stripped them out...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 02:01:47 PM »
You crackpots didnt slip gears, yall stripped them out...

What gears?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 02:06:57 PM »
If an airliner "went missing" and by chance was found shortly after in the form of a debris field on the surface of the moon, what would likely be the global reaction? 

Don't know, don't care. I'd use it as an excuse to start a cult. Probably Cthulu worshipping, just for entertainment. And the ATF, because folks are less likely to burn ya alive if you call them "Emissaries of the Divine" or some claptrap. They might catch on if I declare them to be the "tip of the tentacle!"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »

President Obama, rather than being anti-gun, is really doing his best to get everyone in the U.S. well-armed in order to defend against what he knows will be the coming alien attempt to take over the Earth...

"Gorke satu leio'aa Earth.  Nakro'oma-el taneog-i AR-15 bosnogde ple Chevy Suburban."

Translation:

"We can't invade Earth.  There'll be an AR-15 behind every Chevy Suburban."

Terry, 230RN

It also explains why the Government has been pushing a high carb diet since the 70s: they needed to get everyone fattened up to better survive the crop shortages when the aliens attack.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 04:37:59 PM »
If I were Elon Musk, I'd finance a secret disposable robotic Mars mission to dump empty beer cans and cigarette butts around wherever the first manned Mars mission was set to land.

Just because.
I promise not to duck.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 05:13:05 PM »
After the initial panic subsides, would the world be any more unified than it was before the discovery?

Allow me to quote from my second novel:

"...Even if a friendly race shows up, I think the Earth has enough problems without being dragged into the galactic community.”
“Yeah,” began Christie, “but then again it might provide a real impetus for the countries of the Earth to put aside their differences and work towards a common goal.”
“HA!” exclaimed Richter.
“Hey, you don’t know.”
Richter laughed.  “If the survival of all life on Earth hasn’t been impetus enough for the last sixty years, what makes you think first contact would change anything?”
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 05:39:33 PM »
There is really no evidence that an alien craft did not lead the missing plane astray  ;)   [tinfoil]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »
Personally, I think that the vast majority of humanity wouldn't notice a gorram thing.  They'd go on about their zombie lives without a thought in their little zombie brains . . .

Might be thread drift . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 03:13:57 AM »

Blame Bush.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »

"Gorke satu leio'aa Earth.  Nakro'oma-el taneog-i AR-15 bosnogde ple Chevy Suburban."

Translation:

"We can't invade Earth.  There'll be an AR-15 behind every Chevy Suburban."

Terry, 230RN

You guys are tearing me apart!!!  :rofl:
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 08:32:25 PM »
The only way all humanity gets united is for all or part of it to live in oppression.  People that literally brainwash their kids that other people are subhuman or devils and who send their little kids off to blow themselves up are not about to unite for anything. 

In one future SciFi book I have read, the Earth's colonies are united (sort of), but Earth remains divided.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 09:29:06 PM »
We had 9-11.  We were attacked by radical Muslims.  Thousands were killed in New York and elsewhere that day, before and after?

I suggest we are more divided now than during Revolutionary Times.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 08:04:47 AM »
Being divided is Ok by me.

The main casualty in any uniting of humanity will most likely be individual liberty.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 11:59:58 PM »

I suggest we are more divided now than during Revolutionary Times.

I can't disagree with that.  :'(
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
Could just be an errant worm hole too. No need to drag ET into this.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 08:33:14 AM »
Could just be an errant worm hole too. No need to drag ET into this.

Personally, I think it was a micro-blackhole. Sucked up all the passengers, crew, and luggage and then dissipated. The plane then flew on as a ghost plane until it ran out of gas. It's why they can't find any debris.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »
i hear horses not zebras
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
Being divided is Ok by me.

The main casualty in any uniting of humanity will most likely be individual liberty.

Hmmm. Yep.

If you found an airliner on the moon no one would believe any most likely explanation which in that case would be aliens or some space/time oopsie. I work with otherwise mostly rational adults who believe the moon landings were faked and 9/11 was an inside job. No telling what level of unhelpful crazy they'd be if Marvin the Martian showed up.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »
i hear horses not zebras

CLEARLY you aren't trying hard enough, then.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »
i hear horses not zebras

I hear giraffes...or maybe the unicorns are just really distorted due to their proximity to the black hole's event horizon.