Author Topic: How not to start a bonfire  (Read 795 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
How not to start a bonfire
« on: October 06, 2022, 04:22:19 PM »
Well, they wanted a spectacle for Homecoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9BSS1Nxe_g

This, ladies and gents, is why you use diesel as your starting fluid, not gasoline.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: How not to start a bonfire
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 04:40:45 PM »
He cuda been kilt.

Why do you need any  accelational stuff anyhow?  You touch a match here or there or maybe both and it's in the nature of fire to spread all by itself.

You help it out, and that "spreading" effect may occur too much too soon.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 07:20:16 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2022, 04:46:57 PM »
Do you really think that was gasoline?  With gas, I would have expected a big fireball, but not an explosion throwing big pieces of debris all over the place.   
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2022, 04:48:11 PM »
Do you really think that was gasoline?  With gas, I would have expected a big fireball, but not an explosion throwing big pieces of debris all over the place.   

Maybe someone left the can in the pile?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2022, 04:53:11 PM »
yeah, how much gas did they use?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 05:03:49 PM »

Yeah, it was gasoline.

Pour a bunch of gasoline on a stack of wood and let it sit for a bit. If it's relatively still, or if the pile is big enough to block a air throughflow (like, say, for a bonfire), fuel vapor will permeate the entire pile, complete with plenty of air to support combustion. It's essentially a giant FAB at that point. One spark and the entire cloud of fuel vapor ignites almost instantly. That's why country folks use diesel, kerosene, or fuel oil to start fires.

Brad
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 05:16:09 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2022, 05:51:09 PM »
The vapor was also contained by what appears to have been some sort of berm. If your campfire is in a low spot, and you soak it, the gas vapor will spread out... Most of the time it doesn't cause much of a problem, because it will burn fast, but there they probably had several feet concentrated, rather than a few millimeters.
Blog under construction

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2022, 05:53:20 PM »
I know gasoline mixed with air can be an explosive mixture, but I'm still moderately surprised to see what looks like a pile of wood out in the open blow up that way.

Filing this away in my memory for future reference under "Don't do this" . . . sometimes it's better to learn from other people's mistakes, rather than by making your own.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 07:19:14 PM »
Yeah, it was gasoline.

Pour a bunch of gasoline on a stack of wood and let it sit for a bit. If it's relatively still, or if the pile is big enough to block a air throughflow (like, say, for a bonfire), fuel vapor will permeate the entire pile, complete with plenty of air to support combustion. It's essentially a giant FAB at that point. One spark and the entire cloud of fuel vapor ignites almost instantly. That's why country folks use diesel, kerosene, or fuel oil to start fires.

Brad

Thank you.  Beat me to it.

Same thing happens in the cylinders of a gasoline engine, except the combustion's sudden expansion throws the pistons "out."

Same process with a potato cannon except they use hair spray or other combustibles for a fuel.

https://youtu.be/PvqMWqxYuL8 (1:43)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 07:49:13 PM by 230RN »

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 07:22:16 PM »
It was the containment that did that...
Blog under construction

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 07:44:56 PM »
I've got an area set aside for burning yard waste, about 10'x15', surrounded by corrugated sheet metal on edge.

Had a pile of debris in there one time, must have been 9' high.  It was wet, so I decided to use a small quantity of gas to get 'er going, about a cup or so.  Poured it on the pile at about 5' high on one of the long sides, stepped back & tossed in a lit wad of paper.

Blew out the corner of the surround.

DW came out the back door wondering WTF!!  (House is a good 75 yards from the pile).

Fortunately I didn't loose any hair. 

And the damn fire didn't start.  Had to use the propane weed burner to get it lit.  I still use the weed burner - every time.

Yeah, not a good idea to use gas in an enclosed area.  Those fumes will build up quick.  And release their energy even quicker.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 07:46:44 PM »
Reminded me of in incident my cousin had.  He was working in the 2 car garage, near the open front door, using a pan of gas to clean parts.

He shouldn't have lit that cigarette.

He did loose some hair in the large fireball that shot out the front door.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2022, 07:53:32 PM »
It was the containment that did that...

I'm not clear on your meaning.

Do you mean for the pistons to move as opposed to the junk in the woodpile to get blown around?

I submit that you don't need "containment" to throw the junk around.  The sheer speed of the combustion is all the "containment" you need.

You get, say, 1000 psi from the rapid combustion on one side ot a free plank and 14 psi on the other, and the plank will move.  Rapidly.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 07:54:09 PM »
I've been known to start wood stoves with a little white gas.  It has the same vaper->boom issue as gas, so you have to know what you're doing.

You generally want accelerants with flash points above ambient temperature if you are doing something like that.  safer all around.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 07:58:08 PM »
He cuda been kilt.

Why do you need any  accelational stuff anyhow?  You touch a match here or there or maybe both and it's in the nature of fire to spread all by itself.

You help it out, and that "spreading" effect may occur too much too soon.

Have you ever set fire to wood? It takes some work.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 08:09:04 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 08:19:41 PM »
I use old gas on large brush piles. I also use it on top of diesel or waste oil because I want something that burns awhile. I also light the thing with a flaming object from my max throwing range. Road flares work good, or make a torch from a branch.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 08:52:46 PM »
Every year at Homecoming time we get to see new ways to try to set yourself on fire. Soon, very soon my pretties.  =D

bob

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 08:56:59 PM »
4 parts Diesel or used motor oil : 1 part gasoline is what we were taught as a starting point for drip torches. In certain environments it is an acceptable accelerant. "Certain environments" doesn’t include homecoming bonfires or throwing matches at any volume of concentrated fumes.
7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2022, 09:51:56 PM »
Something to file away.  I have lit gas on fire and poured gas on a fire.  Never saw anything but a fireball as it lit up.   

Most all I have ever burned up is dry underbrush.  Can't remember needing gas on that.  Once it gets going, it burns good.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2022, 09:56:52 PM »
"Why do you need any  accelational stuff anyhow?  You touch a match here or there or maybe both and it's in the nature of fire to spread all by itself."

Have you ever set fire to wood? It takes some work.

"Match" isn't inclusive enough; poor choice of words on my part.  But you can consider it a metaphor for a flame thrower, I suppose.  And there's also the concept of tinder to consider.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 10:36:34 PM by 230RN »

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2022, 10:06:37 PM »
"Match" isn't inclusive enough; poor choice of words on my part.  But you can consider it a metaphor for a flame thrower, I suppose.  And there's also the concept of tinder to consider.

I figure out where you're at, it might well work as you originally stated!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2022, 10:56:30 PM »
I figure out where you're at, it might well work as you originally stated!
Oh, yeah, colorful arid Colorado.  I cringe whenever I see a you tube with someone launching model rockets in the grass, or, the other day, a vid where they were shooting incendiaries into cinder blocks.

Or the thought of someone throwing a road flare around.  Terry cringeth sorely.

Terry, 230RN

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2022, 11:02:05 PM »
At that homecoming thing, they had a sort of berm around the whole clusterbleep... So the fumes got some height on 'em before the flare hit.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2022, 06:02:59 AM »
At that homecoming thing, they had a sort of berm around the whole clusterbleep... So the fumes got some height on 'em before the flare hit.

By "containment," I thought you meant as in a cylinder / piston, which I talked about in the immediately previous post.