Author Topic: Brewing Evolution  (Read 1138 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Brewing Evolution
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2022, 11:39:11 AM »
I find that when I use large amounts of fruits in mead-making (pyments, cysers, melomels, capsaiglins) that the fruit essences drop out of the final product significantly unless I do three things: 

1. Ensure I heavily oxygenate the must when I pitch the yeast at first.  I use a wand with a 50 micron porous stone at the end of it that attaches to an O2 bottle I pick up at Home Depot, but you can also get away with a very energetic and extended sloshing of your container.

2.  Ensure I use a yeast nutrient/energizer additive when pitching.

3.  Rack the product off the trub, at least for the first racking, quickly after primary fermentation is concluded and attenuation is reached.  If you oxygenate well and have a nutrient/energizer in there, it'll complete even a 15% fermentation in 2 weeks, maybe 3 tops. 

I think the weakening of fruit essences in a wine has to do with over-enthusiastic yeast that is trying to reach its attenuation threshold, but lacking in potassium and other nutrients that yeast require.  It ends up throwing off-esters that mask the flavor profile of the base wine.  And leaving any must/wort on its trub can have flavor dulling effects during a long resting period.

I've never had a strawberry wine.  Sounds like a fun project.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Brewing Evolution
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2022, 04:07:17 PM »
I add potassium chloride or carbonate to meads; I haven't tried it with wine.  And I always use at least a little yeast nutrients with everything except beer.  A full dose for mead and full-strength wine. (I wonder if I should add nutrients to some beers)  I racked the strawberry wine off the lees quickly and was just bulk aging it waiting for it to clear and it never did.  The Sparkolloid took care of that right quick-like, but it may have pulled some of the flavor out too.  I didn't think to taste it before adding the clarifier.
"It's good, though..."