Author Topic: Obama's budget "ends Reagan era"  (Read 4792 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Obama's budget "ends Reagan era"
« on: February 27, 2009, 02:13:29 AM »
So we're back to the Carter era. But they don't say that.

Obama's budget is the end of an era
The president's ambitious proposal breaks with the conservative principles that have ruled national politics since Reagan.

By Janet Hook
February 27, 2009
Reporting from Washington -- Not since Lyndon B. Johnson and Franklin D. Roosevelt has a president moved to expand the role of government so much on so many fronts -- and with such a demanding sense of urgency.

The scope of President Obama's ambition was laid bare in the budget blueprint issued Thursday.

The budget would account for 24.1% of next year's estimated gross domestic product, one of the highest percentages since World War II, and would raise taxes, redistribute income, spend more on social programs than on defense, and implement policies that touch almost every aspect of Americans' lives -- their banks, healthcare, schools, even the air they breathe.

Even more stark than the breadth and scale of Obama's proposals was his determination to break with the conservative principles that have dominated national politics and policymaking since Ronald Reagan's election as president in 1980.

"It changes the whole paradigm," said Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.). "We're going to have a government that helps people."

House Minority Leader John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) took another view. "The era of big government is back, and Democrats are asking you to pay for it," he said.

Obama's budget plan asserts that in some areas, government can do a better job than private enterprise and do it for less. For instance, he argues, Washington can provide loans to college students just as efficiently and at lower cost than the private lenders who dominate the field.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-obama-budget-assess27-2009feb27,0,33189.story

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:17:05 AM by Manedwolf »

PTK

• friends
Re: Obama's budget "ends Reagan era"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 02:40:14 AM »
Nothing to really add other than I love the two very descriptive pictures you added.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 03:52:10 AM »
Bush killed the Reagan era. This is just the control shot to the head.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »
Unfortunately there are no Republicans any more.  All we have now are Democrats1 and Democrats2.

If the Democrat1 have 60% of the pork in the budget, that means 40% of the pork belonga Democrat2.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:19:14 PM »

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »
Well, just wait, some see us going back a lot farther than that...  =D

http://volokh.com/posts/1235712057.shtml

Bringing Per Capita Carbon Emissions Down to Below 1700s Levels.

The most dangerous proposal in the new budget is the institution of a cap-and-trade system for carbon emissions. Indeed, the single largest source of new tax revenue in the budget going forward are these payments to be made by businesses for the right to emit excess carbon.

The goal is an 83% reduction in carbon emissions by 2050 compared to 2005 levels.

That would bring US per capita emissions of CO2 down to a level below what we had in the 1700s. As Steven Hayward wrote in the WSJ last April about an 80% reduction then on the table:

Begin with the current inventory of carbon dioxide emissions – CO2 being the principal greenhouse gas generated almost entirely by energy use. According to the Department of Energy's most recent data on greenhouse gas emissions, in 2006 the U.S. emitted 5.8 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide, or just under 20 tons per capita. An 80% reduction in these emissions from 1990 levels means that the U.S. cannot emit more than about one billion metric tons of CO2 in 2050.

Were man-made carbon dioxide emissions in this country ever that low? The answer is probably yes – from historical energy data it is possible to estimate that the U.S. last emitted one billion metric tons around 1910. But in 1910, the U.S. had 92 million people, and per capita income, in current dollars, was about $6,000.

By the year 2050, the Census Bureau projects that our population will be around 420 million. This means per capita emissions will have to fall to about 2.5 tons in order to meet the goal of 80% reduction.

It is likely that U.S. per capita emissions were never that low – even back in colonial days when the only fuel we burned was wood. The only nations in the world today that emit at this low level are all poor developing nations, such as Belize, Mauritius, Jordan, Haiti and Somalia.

Recognize that the cost of the cap-and-trade system far exceeds the tax collected from those who are willing to pay the money just to exceed the limits set by the government. The businesses that do not buy indulgences face the cost of the restrictions themselves.

If Obama succeeds in his quest to reduce carbon emissions by 83% by 2050, American business will be destroyed. Manufacturing in the US will essentially disappear to countries that do not have anti-business, anti-growth policies, mostly in the Far East.

It would be hard to imagine a government policy that is likely to be more destructive of jobs and economic growth than this one.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:48:47 PM »
Unfortunately there are no Republicans any more.  All we have now are Democrats1 and Democrats2.

If the Democrat1 have 60% of the pork in the budget, that means 40% of the pork belonga Democrat2.

Interesting you say that.  Fox news was discussing the new budget, and said that 40% of the spending was Republican sponsored pork.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »
It is likely that U.S. per capita emissions were never that low – even back in colonial days when the only fuel we burned was wood. The only nations in the world today that emit at this low level are all poor developing nations, such as Belize, Mauritius, Jordan, Haiti and Somalia.

This is the most important part of the Global Warming agenda. Capitalism has fostered "irresponsibility," with "greedy" nations "hogging" too much of the world's resources. This is just economic Communism. To each according to his carbon-producing need, from each according to his ability. And not only that, but punishment (that's what this is) of those aristocratic, wasteful, ostentatious, and/or bourgeois peoples who have denied the world proletariat their right to the same economic "opportunity" they enjoy.

The radical environmentalists are like watermelons. Green on the outside, and as red as Lenin himself on the inside.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »
Cool!  I was a kid during Carter.  It will be my second childhood!

Shooting on greatgrandpa's farm, summers at Luddington Beach, making snow forts during the blizzard of '78.

Of course, there's the taxes, the bottom falling out of my SEP and the enemies of my country emboldened but I anticipate a good time. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 03:08:22 PM »
Green = Communism + feudalism with Obama as the Green Pope.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 06:28:14 PM »
El Tejon, my wife and I were married during the Carter administration. Would I trade economics for youth?

Boy, that's a tough one.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 02:29:25 AM »
The president's ambitious proposal breaks with the conservative principles that have ruled national politics since Reagan.

This reporter obviously hasn't been paying attention the last decade or so.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 02:36:10 AM »
Not since Lyndon B. Johnson and Franklin D. Roosevelt has a president moved to expand the role of government so much on so many fronts -- and with such a demanding sense of urgency.

Apparently the author is unfamiliar with DHS.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 04:21:41 AM »
Apparently the author is unfamiliar with DHS.

BUT THAT DOESN'T COUNT!

We had to do it to combat the islamo-fascist threat!
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 05:02:56 AM »
No no... we had to do it to combat the "Israeli student living in his parents' basement" threat... ;)

Seems to have worked so far!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 11:43:49 AM »
No no... we had to do it to combat the "Israeli student living in his parents' basement" threat... ;)

Seems to have worked so far!

Boy, that's gotta hurt! =D
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G