Author Topic: My first real ice storm experience...not fun  (Read 7420 times)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: My first real ice storm experience...not fun
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 01:57:18 AM »
We get ice storms in Missouri?  I moved here fairly recently (Jan 08), haven't experienced that yet. 
Not only do you get ice storms, but you get ice storms that can knock out the power for a week or two at a time.  I imagine you're resourceful enough to cope with that, but it still ain't fun.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 04:53:40 AM »
If it would make you feel better, I'm sure we could arrange for some guys to beat the hell out of your property every two years or so.

Sounds like a deal.  Just let me go beef up on the insurance first...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 07:29:20 AM »
We went to freezing rain up here. I'm not looking forward to the drive in the morn.
Once I got out of the development, the drive was surprisingly easy.  The roads were wet but there weren't many cars out this morning.  Hopefully, this afternoon will be similar.

To be honest, I think this might be the first real ice storm I've had to deal with.  In Jersey we didn't seem to get more than rain.  Most of the time, anyway.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 08:07:22 AM »
almost every tree on my 3 acres had at least some damage except the 2 POS Bradford pears my wife insisted on a few years ago.

That's odd. Around here the Bradford pears are the first to go.

I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 12:48:07 PM »
That's odd. Around here the Bradford pears are the first to go.

That was what I expected, hoping to have an excuse to replace them :(.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »
I recall a real nasty ice storm I think it was 2000 or 2001 heck could have been 02 for all I remember, anyways I was living in
Overland Park, KS (suburb of KC Metro area)  That evening was one of the eeriest I can remember, standing outside around 9pm it was so quiet except for the constant sound of crackling tree limbs, it was almost like popcorn popping.. but consistently for hours on end.  Every once in awhile a loud "cannon boom" would go off as a transformer popped.  The sky had a blueish green glow to it do to all the transformers popping.  You could even see distant yellowish glows from powerlines going down and or fires.   My roomate and I were standing outside when a line fell just a few houses down, it crackled and popped as the end of the line flopped and flipped around like a snake with it's tail on fire.  That was a pretty wild ice storm.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 08:27:09 PM »
If it would make you feel better, I'm sure we could arrange for some guys to beat the hell out of your property every two years or so.

It happens every winter, no need to hire anyone.  And then during the summer millions of acres get burned.  And occasionally the melting ice makes the rivers flood so there's the flood damage to deal with also.  So no thanks, there's already enough damage up here.  I'd rather have an ice storm every two years or so.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 01:49:15 AM »
It happens every winter, no need to hire anyone.  And then during the summer millions of acres get burned.  And occasionally the melting ice makes the rivers flood so there's the flood damage to deal with also.  So no thanks, there's already enough damage up here.  I'd rather have an ice storm every two years or so.

Well, you know, when it happens all the time, you get used to it and it's not a big deal, right?  I mean you're used to wildfires and floods, so that makes 'em all ok, right?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
I recall a real nasty ice storm I think it was 2000 or 2001 heck could have been 02 for all I remember, anyways I was living in
Overland Park, KS (suburb of KC Metro area)  That evening was one of the eeriest I can remember, standing outside around 9pm it was so quiet except for the constant sound of crackling tree limbs, it was almost like popcorn popping.. but consistently for hours on end.  Every once in awhile a loud "cannon boom" would go off as a transformer popped.  The sky had a blueish green glow to it do to all the transformers popping.  You could even see distant yellowish glows from powerlines going down and or fires.   My roomate and I were standing outside when a line fell just a few houses down, it crackled and popped as the end of the line flopped and flipped around like a snake with it's tail on fire.  That was a pretty wild ice storm.
Where you there in '97?
Early October, 13 inches of snow on trees that still had leaves.
It was worse then any ice storm I can remember.

I was working in OP, KS during the ice storm your talking about.
Making coffee and cooking burgers out in the shop on a propane grill.
A little whiskey in the coffee at 7:30 in the morning. Fun times waiting to get back power and phones so we could get back to work.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 09:33:36 PM »
Well, you know, when it happens all the time, you get used to it and it's not a big deal, right?  I mean you're used to wildfires and floods, so that makes 'em all ok, right?

Yeah, pretty much.  Gets to where you don't even notice them.  But you send someone up here to beat up the property, they might get shot.  :laugh:
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »
Quote from: Jim147
Where you there in '97?

A little whiskey in the coffee at 7:30 in the morning. Fun times waiting to get back power and phones so we could get back to work.

I moved to OP in 2000  however I remember similar conditions in Wichita (where I moved from) in 97
the 02 storm was quite the experience though.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 08:05:09 PM »
Where you there in '97?

I lived in KCK during the 97 storm.  Talk about a bitch.

Missed the Dec '07 storm here in Tulsa last year due to being at Ft Bliss for deployment training.  This one I got to be here for and really didn't have any problems.  Tulsa missed the brunt of the storm as the real damage was done south and east of here.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 12:40:05 AM »
the best way to experience a good ice storm is in a tent. did that once  and only once. listening to stuff fall as the tent sagged lower and lower. trying very hard not to touch tent. first time i ever cooked inside a sleeping tent
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I