Poll

Do you hunt at all

Yes
No

Author Topic: Hunters  (Read 7434 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Hunters
« on: February 04, 2013, 07:41:56 PM »
CNS news has an article that states that of the gun owners non hunters outnumber the hunters 5:1. I'm curious if that is the same ratio on APS.
I know that there a couple of hard core hunters on here, myself being one of them. I've hunted for about 30 years and I have noticed less and less people in the field over the years, so I am not denying the stats in the article.

Here is the article.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/us-gun-owners-outnumbered-hunters-5-1-2011
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
I no longer hunt.  I did growing up in Texas, but since I don't have private land to hunt on, I don't do it anymore.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 08:02:57 PM »
I still consider myself to be a hunter, but confess that I didn't go once this year.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:12:54 PM »
I no longer hunt.  I did growing up in Texas, but since I don't have private land to hunt on, I don't do it anymore.

Why not? I live and hunt in Iowa with the one of the lowest amounts of public land in the nation and I do about half of my hunting on public lands. Most the private land I have permission to hunt is crappy habitat for pheasants and deer because much of it is row cropped ditch to ditch, public lands is about the only place I can find suitable habitat for many of the species I like to hunt.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
Not a hunter here.  Never had much interest in it.  That is probably a good thing because I just don't need another hobby.
However, I applaud those that do hunt as, IMHO, it is a great outdoor activity for both individuals and families.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:30 PM »
When I hunt, the animals quite often have a mouth full of teeth, and I handle them bare handed and alive.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 08:28:55 PM »
When I hunt, the animals quite often have a mouth full of teeth, and I handle them bare handed and alive.

Whatever fisherman.

Uranus is a gas giant.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »
I always enjoyed it, though opportunities are limited these days.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 08:31:28 PM »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 08:43:12 PM »

Hunting is something that circumstance never offered, and ignorance did nothing to relieve that shortcoming.

It is, however, on my bucket list.

I just need to find someone who's willing to serve as guide to a guy who isn't as fit as he once was, and has only willingness to learn where experience ought to be.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 09:00:46 PM »
I don't get out as much as I used to and I don't try very hard to fill my tags but I still go out.

I still have a week of small game season open. I might have to drag the Savage 24 out this weekend.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 09:01:48 PM »
Why not? I live and hunt in Iowa with the one of the lowest amounts of public land in the nation and I do about half of my hunting on public lands. Most the private land I have permission to hunt is crappy habitat for pheasants and deer because much of it is row cropped ditch to ditch, public lands is about the only place I can find suitable habitat for many of the species I like to hunt.

In north Texas, the public hunting land is too busy. Or, it was when I was there.
In NH, it is similar. There are plenty of public, and available private, areas to hunt, but the total acreage isn't that much.
Since I haven't had a hunting license in years, I'd have to go to hunter education first.
All of the above, plus, hunting just doesn't appeal to me that much. I'd rather spend the time shooting.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 09:10:37 PM »
Been hunting a few times.....too much work to just shoot once....

....if I'm killing animals, it's for varmint control....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 09:11:40 PM »

Yeah, well, if you're talking about hunting cougars then the teeth come out.   :lol:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:49 PM »
I'm mostly in it now because working with a bird dog is so much fun.  Actually shooting a bird is secondary.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »
Hunt. I used to hunt big game, small game, and birds regularly in my 20s-30s. Then work got in the way and I went to mostly bird hunting with an occasional pig hunt here and there. I'm looking forward to doing more big game again as soon as I retire. One of the places I'm looking at has elk and moose migrating not far past the house (though that might not really be hunting :)  ). I'll continue to bird hunt a lot, probably till the day I die. Being out in the field with my dog is simply one of my greatest joys in life.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »
I don't hunt. Never had the opportunity, and don't current have the time or the money. I intend to get into hunting someday (probably deer and birds, lots of opportunities for both in WI), but it's taking a back seat right now to other, more pressing things.
Andy

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 09:31:35 PM »
I don't hunt. Never really had anyone to show me the ropes, and I wouldn't know the first place to start around here.

It is something I would like to get in to, just haven't.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 09:49:57 PM »
I think I was the only kid growing up who was into guns, due to parental influance who didn't hunt.

Dad shoots possums and coppperheads, and that's pretty much it. The only think he's ever been halfway intrested in was going boar hunting in on some island in the south pacific with a 1911a1, which he read about in a gun magazine.
We both determined that this was unwise to do without practice (supposedly, it's really dangorous), therefore, we should try hunting first in a more traditional venue.
The conversation that followed determined that only turkey was not cute enough to refrain from killing, and since turkey hunting is supposed to be very difficult and not the safest (due to other hunters, rather then the birds themselves) we scratched the whole plan.

In all honesty, i'd like to give hunting a try and at least learn the ropes (including how to dismantel the game and then cook it in a tasty manner)
I don't see this so much as a "fun" activity, but more of a life skill that would be good to have.
I attended multiple 4H hunter safety days and got to snare the mouse squeaker once for the morning wake up call at shooting camp (the squeaker was the prize for all of us kids who didn't know how to make noise on the turkey caller and the like) which is the extent of my "hunting experiance". Well, that and mouse hunting at work, but that's more along the lines of trapping. =D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »
This is embarrassing, folks. The hunters still outnumber us. Seriously, the second amendment is not about hunting. No one needs to kill innocent animals.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »
This is embarrassing, folks. The hunters still outnumber us. Seriously, the second amendment is not about hunting. No one needs to kill innocent animals.  :P
Their innocence is removed via their tastiness
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 10:03:29 PM »
Don't get to spend near the days hunting I'd like.  But with Thing 4 due in the next month I guess that's to be exected.  As the kids get older (and vacation time increases to something reasonable) that should improve.

Mostly I hunt deer and elk.  Would really like to get into ducks eventually.
Formerly sumpnz

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 10:05:40 PM »

Actually hunters are us, most just don't realize it or want to admit it.  I hunt but not as much as I want.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »
Don't get to spend near the days hunting I'd like.  But with Thing 4 due in the next month I guess that's to be exected.  As the kids get older (and vacation time increases to something reasonable) that should improve.

Mostly I hunt deer and elk.  Would really like to get into ducks eventually.

Warning duck hunting is expensive. My wife would freak if she knew how money I have in decoys.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 10:43:33 PM »
Warning duck hunting is expensive. My wife would freak if she knew how money I have in decoys.

That's what friends are for.
Formerly sumpnz