Author Topic: Got an iPhone or 3G iPad? Apple is recording your moves  (Read 2626 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Got an iPhone or 3G iPad? Apple is recording your moves
« on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
http://radar.oreilly.com/2011/04/apple-location-tracking.html

Ever since iOS 4, Apple has been recording the iPhone and 3G  iPad users' locations, in an unencrypted file.
We're not sure why Apple is gathering this data, but it's clearly intentional, as the database is being restored across backups, and even device migrations.
  The file is also stored on any device that you sync your iOS device too.  It stores the lat/long and a time stamp in a file named consolidate.db  More at the above linky.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Got an iPhone or 3G iPad? Apple is recording your moves
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »
For some reason, I seem to recall saying in threads here that Apple was a little too Big Brother-esque for comfort?

Yeah, this is one of those things...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:57:27 AM »
Wow, The world might actually be ending when us Android users feel like Google is respecting our privacy.

/tougue in cheek

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »
Wow, The world might actually be ending when us Android users feel like Google is respecting our privacy.

/tougue in cheek

:D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:04:07 AM »
News outlets being sensationalists. It's not as it seems

There would be no reason to create this log file if they didn't have some plans to use it later.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 02:15:32 AM »
"Oh you hysterical gun owners. What possible harm could mandatory registration of all guns do?"

MS, Google, and Apple are all interested in raping your privacy for profit. If you trust one over the other you're fooling yourself.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 04:06:40 AM »
Sigh. Read the article
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:35:12 AM »
Sigh. Read the article

So it's not very good at saving your information. IT still saves your information.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:38:11 AM »
So what? All cell phones,  All of them, give the carrier, the gov, etc the ability to see where you are. What difference does it make in how it is implemented?
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 08:45:48 AM »
So what? All cell phones,  All of them, give the carrier, the gov, etc the ability to see where you are. What difference does it make in how it is implemented?

That is true, but this gives anybody that can access your phone (say you lose it) to see your movements.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 09:08:14 AM »
If you lose ANY phone, people can get names, addresses, etc.

Poor resolution location data is the least of your worries in that scenario.

Besides, if you have a smartphone, you absolutely should be running a utility or service that can remote wipe in the event of loss. Especially with how many people do banking on their phones
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »
If you lose ANY phone, people can get names, addresses, etc.

Poor resolution location data is the least of your worries in that scenario.

Besides, if you have a smartphone, you absolutely should be running a utility or service that can remote wipe in the event of loss. Especially with how many people do banking on their phones

Good point.   Still don't like it.  I know that the .gov and cell providers can do the tracking, but that generally takes a warrant.  I don't like the tracking without my consent or fully being informed about the tracking.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 10:54:54 AM »
Warrants. Lol.

Do they bother to get those anymore?

Anyhow, according to several tech blows, android phones do it too. it appears the location data is only locally readable. My guess is its being cached to improve performance in some function.

Also, disabling location services seems to stop the caching, at least on my Android phone.

Can anyone with an iPhone see if disabling all location services stops the caching?
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 11:21:01 AM »
Warrants. Lol.

Do they bother to get those anymore?

Yes, they can and do access your locational data provider side without warrants.  It is however less useful in prosecution.  The iPhone/iPad data (and provider data obtained with a warrant) can be used as evidence.

Anyhow, according to several tech blows, android phones do it too. it appears the location data is only locally readable. My guess is its being cached to improve performance in some function.

Also, disabling location services seems to stop the caching, at least on my Android phone.

Can anyone with an iPhone see if disabling all location services stops the caching?

The Android information held in /data/data/com.google.android.location/files is not remotely identical.  It's a location cache.  Not a extensive log file.  It's meant to decrease the time to find your accurate location.  Virtually all GPS units do this.  It gets wiped and replaced every so often with updated info as you turn location service on and off, or move around.

The Android thing is a not aimed at privacy breach, but pretty much necessary timely functionality.
The iPhone thing, who knows?   But it is not in any way necessary to improve functionality.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 11:37:08 AM »
Hmmm....makes me glad to be a Blackberry user....for now....  [tinfoil]

And now this.....

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/?CPID=KNC-kw327221_p6&HBX_PK=rim|0be88466-9499-1528-925d-00007cb3b663

:cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »
Fitz: so why do you think Apple has designed this? Not like it accidentally happened.

Frt I don't think this is a Big Brother scenario, they don't need help in this area. I think it's a camel's nose for location specific adverts. Which is enough to make me vehemently against it. I loathe targeted advertising.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 12:41:55 PM »
Hmmm....makes me glad to be a Blackberry user....for now....  [tinfoil]

And now this.....

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-tablet/?CPID=KNC-kw327221_p6&HBX_PK=rim|0be88466-9499-1528-925d-00007cb3b663

:cool:

Blackberry is the most secure smartphone on the market.  By an insane margin.  It's best used with a BES, but is pretty good even stand alone.  It was designed to be, whereas the iPhone never was.

And I agree with Balog's assessment.  It's probably designed for something annoying, as the phone company handles the more troubling Big Brother scenarios.  They do not have an option under CALEA either.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »
Blackberry is the most secure smartphone on the market.  By an insane margin.  It's best used with a BES, but is pretty good even stand alone.  It was designed to be, whereas the iPhone never was.

And I agree with Balog's assessment.  It's probably designed for something annoying, as the phone company handles the more troubling Big Brother scenarios.  They do not have an option under CALEA either.

Secure-er: yes (its morning, I'm using made up words because I'm hungry and the GF won't wake up)
Better: mine sucks. YMMV

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 08:19:29 AM »
wake her ass up. I'm hungry. Wee need to eat!
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog