Author Topic: Phone bill cramming  (Read 1350 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Phone bill cramming
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »
Church treasurer gave me a copy of the phone bill and said it didn't look right.  There's a third-party provider charge of $39.95 (plus tax) for BROADVIEWMEDIAMONTHYLFEE.  It also says something about ILD Teleservices, and has both a local phone number and a (800) number.

I looked BMC up on the Internet and it's a company that supposedly does search engine optimization consulting for a setup fee of $9.95 and a monthly fee of $39.95.  ILD seems to be an electronic payment clearinghouse for phone charges -- so that's BMC's billing company.  There are hundreds of complaints against ILD for bogus 3rd-party phone charges; ILD claims it's just a victim of [hundreds of] innocent misunderstandings. [ar15]

I checked with the other church board members to make sure it wasn't somehow a legitimate charge.  Time to go "Old Testament" on somebody; where to start?

I'll call the phone company tomorrow and dispute the charge and see if I can turn off all 3rd party billing.  Then maybe call the FCC and the state Atty General.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
Re: Phone bill cramming
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:46:03 PM »
You might try your county prosecuting attorneys office. Someone there may be able to help.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 09:56:01 PM »
I checked with the other church board members to make sure it wasn't somehow a legitimate charge.  Time to go "Old Testament" on somebody; where to start?

Skip the frogs and other sissy stuff and go straight to boils.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »
Phone company and then FCC.

I had to call rhe FCC on Sprint recently... Because of themselves.  Brilliant, that lot.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »
Skip the frogs and other sissy stuff and go straight to boils.
I was thinking more along the lines of The Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.  (but boils is good too)   :angel:
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 01:18:25 AM »
Been there, done that...

If someone answers a phone "Yes?" that is grounds for the numbnuts to add it to your bill. Thing is, you can happily tell the phone company "I'm paying your bill. I'm not paying the part that goes to these losers." and they (at least when I did it...) will take it off your bill, and lock down your account.
Blog under construction