Author Topic: Janus Vs. AFSCME  (Read 1579 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Janus Vs. AFSCME
« on: June 27, 2018, 01:29:40 PM »
https://apnews.com/0f83c64b1dd249de9ec89ab85235790a/Supreme-Court-deals-big-setback-to-labor-unions

So the court basically ruled that you don't have to pay union dues, or even "fair share" or "agency" fees to work for a government agency if that agency's workforce is represented by a union.

Surprisingly, this is going to have a pretty significant impact on private sector unions as well, as some (for example, Teamsters) represent public agencies in addition to private businesses.

I agree with the decision, but I think that the impact on unions from this decision is going to be massive.  Significant enough that I would surmise some unions *will* fail as a result of this decision.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Janus Vs. AFSCME
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 01:34:51 PM »
As a former fed.gov employee, let me say emphatically that NO public worker needs a union. Government workers are pretty much in a de facto union just working for Uncle Sugar. It was interesting to me that there wasn't even a union option for me (which I wouldn't have taken), but in my outfit, besides people like meteorologists and wage marines, all the lawyers had a union.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
I've said it here before, but my membership in the federal technician's union is optional.  Fine by me.

But, having been compelled to dance with the devil in the pale moonlight join the SEIU in the past, all I can say would too vigorously offend Art's grammaw.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 05:25:59 PM »
This is "Right to Work" writ large, just like what happened in Wisconsin after Walker became governor will now happen through most of the rest of the US. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:47:29 AM »
This is just like ACT-10 from WI on a national scale.
Expect meltdowns, feces throwing (literally), and general insanity from the left in levels that you've never seen before.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:13:20 AM »
Expect meltdowns, feces throwing (literally), and general insanity from the left in levels that you've never seen before.
How much low and high level intimidation do you expect between unions and federal employees?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:30:54 AM »

I agree with the decision, but I think that the impact on unions from this decision is going to be massive.  Significant enough that I would surmise some unions *will* fail as a result of this decision.

Good. Too many unions have remained in existence, not to mention power, only because of forced participation. Now they will have to actually provide a benefit. Those who's benevolence and usefulness is deemed worthy of member participation will succeed. Those who exist simply to suck up money from forced dues will fail. That's the way it should be.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »
As a healthcare executive, I have worked with many unions.  I have always said that the first duty of a union is to convince people they need a union.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 06:42:21 PM »
How much low and high level intimidation do you expect between unions and federal employees?

Dunno about federal, but I shared an office on a construction site with an inspector from my state's government. He liked to talk ... a lot. About things in general, and about himself in particular. It seems that, at least in my state, government employees vote the way the union tells them to vote.

Period. Full stop.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 09:59:10 PM »

I follow one of our reps Facebook page (Jeff Duncan) to read the comments from the batshit crazy leftists that love to *expletive deleted*it all over his page. He posted in celebration of this ruling. His usual crop of rabid leftists were beside themselves over this

Apparently if you aren’t in a union according to them you don’t get overtime pay, sick leave, vacation time, health benefits, and retirement pay...much less appropriate pay. We non union workers are too *expletive deleted*ing stupid to manage our own lives and choose our career outcomes according to our betters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 09:22:33 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Wisconsin_protests

The actual protests were a big win for WI conservatives.
When you have one political direction protesting incessantly, attacking legislators, destroying public property, acting like enraged chimps, and leaving areas of the inner capital building smeared with human feces, it pretty much paints the left (Democrats) as unhinged crybabies who who don't deserve a seat at the table.
Other than Senator baldwin (replacing Kohl) elected in 2012, and a single WI supreme court race won by a liberal (the right completely screwed the pooch on this race), the democrats haven't won much of anything of importance in this state since 2011.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Grebnaws

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 11:23:41 PM »
I can't wait to get $600/yr back in my pocket. I chose to contribute an extra amount and become a full fledged member to gain voting rights in the union and so far have been on the losing side of every vote, while the new president laughed and guffawed at my concerns while making the rounds. We don't get to vote for our leadership so what good is being able to vote on a new contract every 4 years? Rescinding my membership will be a pleasure. If they want me back they can drop the leftist rhetoric and quit electing representatives that vote against my personal interests. Simple as that.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 04:22:15 AM »
Most of the sources I've seen say that union membership in Wisconsin is down 40% after ACT-10.  If you figure approximately the same numbers nationwide, that will put a serious hurt in the union's coffers and political spending. 

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »
Most of the sources I've seen say that union membership in Wisconsin is down 40% after ACT-10.  If you figure approximately the same numbers nationwide, that will put a serious hurt in the union's coffers and political spending. 

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Couldn't happen to a nicer group.
Formerly sumpnz

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 11:32:32 PM »
Elena Kagan wrote in a dissent, this is:

weaponizing the First Amendment, in a way that unleashes judges, now and in the future, to intervene in economic and regulatory policy.” She added, “Speech is everywhere—a part of every human activity (employment, health care, securities trading, you name it). For that reason, almost all economic and regulatory policy affects or touches speech. So the majority’s road runs long.

Which is a good reason why the fed.gov should. butt dot out.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 12:01:33 PM »
I've always felt that worker unions should be treated a bit more like a hiring firm or even one of the old guilds.

To wit:  If the workers decide that they want to organize and be treated as one unit, more or less, they can do so.  You can also chose to fire the union, which means firing all the workers in the union, but oh well.

The potential of losing a substantial part of their work force should keep the businesses honest, it to being a nuclear option.

Unions should understand that the nuclear option exists, and act accordingly.

I believe a lot of the hate for unions in the USA is because the unions in the USA are too powerful, too disruptive.  There's lots of unions in other countries, but they are restrained better.  Ergo, actually beneficial to the business.  For example, in many European countries, they take care of the worker's pensions and medical benefits.  The business doesn't have to worry about it.  Bonus.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 12:15:55 PM »
In years past I knew some people who were members (against their will) of unions in and around Philadelphia, and one man who worked for a large-ish construction company that used union workers. Basically, the trade unions around Philadelphia make the Mexican drug cartels look like Mother Theresa by comparison. Construction trade unions around Philadelphia (I was told) don't bother with little things like strikes to get what they want. They pretty much start out with slashed tires, move quickly to kneecappings (literally), and from there it escalates to arson and firebombings.

Basically, your all-around good neighbor types.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design