Author Topic: Cop or Soldier?  (Read 19308 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Cop or Soldier?
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »
"And if they do, we already have an organization to deal with the situation: it's called the National Guard. "

who can tell us why this is a fail? 

Not following your question there.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
who can tell us why this is a fail?
Posse Comitatus doesn't apply to National Guard working under orders of the governor of their state.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 09:15:41 AM »
Actually there are lots of times that a lightly armored APC comes in real handy in a stand off situation.  They work great if you have to go in and rescue civilians and/or wounded out from the line of fire.

North hollywood shoot out for one.  Several times they tried to rescue wounded people and were beat back by the robbers overwhelming firepower.

Of course, there is already a vehicle in production that fits the bill.  Money transport armored truck or van.
Were I the police chief and the SWAT commander wanted an APC, I'd kick him in the jimmy and make him requsisition one of these

High front bumper for ramming gates, running boards for deploying swat police in a hurry.  And the first person that tried to mount a machine gun on it would get said machine gun inserted rectally.

Utah county SWAT van

Perfect use of police dollars there.

This, however, is *expletive deleted*ing insane

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »
Posse Comitatus doesn't apply to National Guard working under orders of the governor of their state.

getting warmer
why would that shoe not fit this foot?  think time
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »
I'm not following you CandS.

The National Guard called out under the orders of the governor may have police powers.  We had them while we were in NO after Katrina.  The 82nd, who also was there couldn't even load ammo in their magazines unless they were in direct threat of their lives.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
gov has to declare a state of emergency for that.  many cop applications for an armored vehicle would be over before they could get the focus group together. i know it ruffles a certain demographic but when they roll one of those puppys into the front yard of a crack house it tends to discourage the stupid from getting froggy. keeps everyone intact
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 10:03:23 AM »
gov has to declare a state of emergency for that.  many cop applications for an armored vehicle would be over before they could get the focus group together. i know it ruffles a certain demographic but when they roll one of those puppys into the front yard of a crack house it tends to discourage the stupid from getting froggy. keeps everyone intact

I agree and trust me when the National Guard is out it is an emergency and people know that we come loaded for bear.

But at the same time the over use of "military" weapons, tactics and tools by police force is one of the reasons that people don't trust them.  Not saying that there isn't a time in place for their use.  Just not every time someone calls out for a kitten in a tree.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »
I agree and trust me when the National Guard is out it is an emergency and people know that we come loaded for bear.

But at the same time the over use of "military" weapons, tactics and tools by police force is one of the reasons that people don't trust them.  Not saying that there isn't a time in place for their use.  Just not every time someone calls out for a kitten in a tree.

Amen.  Or, when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail.
This is why we've got police departments with shoot on sight orders in reference to dogs during raids.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »

agreed
 a machine gun turret?  only for real cops like sheriff joe. the armored vehicles?  they seem to be the same kinda kryptonite to folks of a certain persuasion as evil black guns with the shoulder thingy that goes up is to the mcCarthy's of this world.
the recent case of the park ranger gunned down is a good example of a case where one would be useful
this
http://www.metafilter.com/101862/Were-they-Above-The-Law-or-Out-For-Justice

not so much so

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2012, 10:25:12 AM »
"This is why we've got police departments with shoot on sight orders in reference to dogs during raids."
  got a source for that one?  i looked

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2012, 10:26:18 AM »
I know several departments that want/need APC's and other military equipment because they are going to be outgunned otherwise in certain situations.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 10:47:34 AM »
I know several departments that want/need APC's and other military equipment because they are going to be outgunned otherwise in certain situations.

And that is a problem. The solution, however, should not be militirization of police. Perhaps if police weren't fighting the war on drugs, they wouldn't be coming up against military-grade violence quite so often.

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
And that is a problem. The solution, however, should not be militirization of police. Perhaps if police weren't fighting the war on drugs, they wouldn't be coming up against military-grade violence quite so often.

is there a viable solution there or are you channeling my wife and just saying "i don't like that!" without offering an alternative?  and contrary to what you read on lew rockwell or what al jones says there are plenty of non drug war uses.  they get use more often than the tower fire trucks do

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 12:39:36 PM »
is there a viable solution there or are you channeling my wife and just saying "i don't like that!" without offering an alternative?  and contrary to what you read on lew rockwell or what al jones says there are plenty of non drug war uses.  they get use more often than the tower fire trucks do

I have no doubt they are used regularly. See Jamis above on the nail/hammer analogy.

To extend the analogy: When all you've got is misogyny, everything a woman says starts to look stupid. Yeah, it doesn't fit quite as well, but hey, my brains must have leaked out my vagina when I turned twelve.

Astonishingly, the grammar and punctuation synapses remained intact. Weird.

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2012, 12:49:22 PM »
I have no doubt they are used regularly. See Jamis above on the nail/hammer analogy.

To extend the analogy: When all you've got is misogyny, everything a woman says starts to look stupid. Yeah, it doesn't fit quite as well, but hey, my brains must have leaked out my vagina when I turned twelve.

Astonishingly, the grammar and punctuation synapses remained intact. Weird.

so thats a no? as to your viable alternative

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 12:59:12 PM »
so thats a no? as to your viable alternative

Nope, but you have lost any reasonable expectation you may have had of hearing my thoughts on the matter.  Speak to me civilly and I'll be happy to discuss topics of mutual interest. Act like a jackass, and I'm gone. You tend to prefer echo chambers for your "debates" anyway, don't you?

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
i am chagrined the world will be denied that solution you are holding out on

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 01:32:26 PM »
Nope, but you have lost any reasonable expectation you may have had of hearing my thoughts on the matter.  Speak to me civilly and I'll be happy to discuss topics of mutual interest. Act like a jackass, and I'm gone. You tend to prefer echo chambers for your "debates" anyway, don't you?

Of all the things you can rightfully accuse c&s's Daddy of, wanting an echo chamber for his debates is not one of them.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »

I think the tone of your reply is a bit over the top.  Easy on that stuff right there.
JD

brimic

• friends
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »
Of all the things you can rightfully accuse c&s's Daddy of, wanting an echo chamber for his debates is not one of them.

LOL. So true.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 02:37:40 PM »
LOL. So true.

I'm trying to think of what it would look like visually. I'm thinking something akin to that empty white place with no boundaries in THX-1138...
I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »
North hollywood shoot out for one.  Several times they tried to rescue wounded people and were beat back by the robbers overwhelming firepower.

Of course, there is already a vehicle in production that fits the bill.  Money transport armored truck or van.
Were I the police chief and the SWAT commander wanted an APC, I'd kick him in the jimmy and make him requsisition one of these

High front bumper for ramming gates, running boards for deploying swat police in a hurry.  And the first person that tried to mount a machine gun on it would get said machine gun inserted rectally.

Utah county SWAT van

Perfect use of police dollars there.

This, however, is *expletive deleted*ing insane

you do realize that pic 2 will cost more police dollars than 3?

i can see 3 in a metro area with special assets to protect

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »

If they didn't want to be outgunned, they shouldn't use an M113.

.308 AP will penetrate from a zero deflection side shot.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »
what will that .308 do to the windshield on pic 2?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »
If they didn't want to be outgunned, they shouldn't use an M113.

.308 AP will penetrate from a zero deflection side shot.

*yawn* A3.