Author Topic: Yet another country taken over by Islamic extre- wait, what?  (Read 2360 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303292204577514842797430140.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

TRIPOLI—A coalition of liberal parties have made a strong showing against well-organized religious groups in Libya's first free election since Moammar Gadhafi seized power in 1969, according to unofficial results reported by party officials and election observers.

It appears the foreign-policy 'realists' were wrong once again.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Yet another country taken over by Islamic extre- wait, what?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 12:53:36 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303292204577514842797430140.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

It appears the foreign-policy 'realists' were wrong once again.

Maybe, maybe not.  I have read some articles claiming Brit mohammedians are going to Libya for their training and suchlike from AQ sorts, as those in power either are AQ sorts themselves or are sympathetic.

Until the more-decent folks craft a gov't and have a near-monopoly on organized violence, Libya's transformation from dictatorship to popular Islamic gov't is still a net loss for decency in the world and American interests.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 12:41:44 PM »
Let's see how things actually transpire before either celebrating or despairing.

Edited to add:

With a Muslim Brotherhood president, some Islamists in Egypt are now calling for the destruction of the Pyramids.

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/raymond-ibrahim/muslim-brotherhood-destroy-the-pyramids/

From reading the article, it seems the crazies have decided that since they're pre-Islamic, the Pyramids are evil and ought to be destroyed. (Reminds me of the Taliban blowing up some immense carvings in Afghanistan.)

We'll see if this is just the teeny, tiny lunatic fringe that Islam's supporters always talk about, or if the notion starts to gain some traction.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 12:59:04 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
HankB, you bring up a point that I am watching with great interest.  Egypt is a source of tremendous archiological wealth, which in the past they have used to generate tourist income in large amounts.  If Muslim extremist take over, will they act in such a way to destroy that source of income?  And if they do, how long will the people sit and watch before they toss out this government like they did the last one?  I'm hoping that they will act before soldiers place large amounts of explosives in the Vally of Kings and blow the history to bits.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »
There is no History outside Islam.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

agricola

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »
Let's see how things actually transpire before either celebrating or despairing.

Edited to add:

With a Muslim Brotherhood president, some Islamists in Egypt are now calling for the destruction of the Pyramids.

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/raymond-ibrahim/muslim-brotherhood-destroy-the-pyramids/

From reading the article, it seems the crazies have decided that since they're pre-Islamic, the Pyramids are evil and ought to be destroyed. (Reminds me of the Taliban blowing up some immense carvings in Afghanistan.)

We'll see if this is just the teeny, tiny lunatic fringe that Islam's supporters always talk about, or if the notion starts to gain some traction.

There is a lot of nonsense in that article, fyi.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"