Author Topic: Pet Peeve: Dogs in pickups  (Read 1945 times)

Paddy

Pet Peeve: Dogs in pickups
« on: September 06, 2007, 11:02:26 AM »
Piss me off.  angry  Every time I see a dog(s) suffering in the back of a pickup truck I want to  slap somebody.  There were several around here during this last heat wave.  It's 100+ degrees outside and the dogs are in full sun with no shade or water.  It's usually a new or nearly new bigazz doublecab 4x4 that's as clean as the day it came off the showroom floor. Some of them have bedliners (which really tells me the guy is a sissy), black bedliners, making the bed even hotter. These aren't work trucks.  These aren't ranch dogs.
Inside sits some big fat poseur with the A/C on full blast sucking on a 90 oz Big Gulp (or whatever the biggest size is).  Then they'll park the truck out in the sun while they go in for a double double whopper to stuff into their big fat gut. 

I'd love to chain some lardass in the back of his own stupid-all-for-show-look-how-macho-I-am truck for an afternoon during August and watch him sweat.  [/rant off]

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Pet Peeve: Dogs in pickups
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 11:15:54 AM »
Not sure about these days, but the bed in my Dad's early 80's vintage Toyota pickup would get hot enough to burn me through a pair of jeans. Hate to see a dog in the back myself just because of that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 11:18:43 AM »
I saw a dog tumble out of the back of a truck going around a corner at speed awhile back.  Putting animals in the back of trucks is cruelty in my opinion, and should be a chargable offense.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 11:44:20 AM »
My brother used to put his golden lab in the bed of his pickup all the time...

Right up until he had an accident and the dog got flung out of the pickup at high speed and died - not quickly either - slowly and painfully.

Brother doesn't do that anymore.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:04:02 PM »
I was crusing down the freeway once, and witnessed a dog, chained to the truckbox, standing on the truckbox, taking a big fat steamer.  Poetic justice, but the redneck probably beat the dog for it.
I used to see it alot in Utah, but haven't seen it yet here in VA.  Oh, and I've got a truck.  With a bedliner.  Up yours.  grin
My dog's only been in the bed of my truck when we were out front watching the kids ride bikes. Otherwise, she rides between the carseats in air conditioned comfort sucking on a 90oz big gulp.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 12:08:21 PM »
against the law to have a dog in back unretrained in va  was still egal to put kids back there for 10 years after they made it illegal for dogs

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 12:09:26 PM »
I put my doggie in the front seat, and roll down the winders. 

I say Riley only started this thread because he loves any excuse to talk about "bigazz" vehicles.  Who's with me?

Also, I'm confused about the bedliner issue.  I thought a bedliner prevented scratches, which prevents rust, which prevents stuff from falling out of the gaping holes in the bed.  Huh? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 12:11:59 PM »
Riley, are you a Pious driver?
There is a South Park episode you need to watch.
 grin
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 12:14:40 PM »
Used to see a lot as a kid.  Cannot remember last time I saw a truck with a dog in it???

I could care less about animals, but I would think that if one valued his dog one would not do it.

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Paddy

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Oh, and I've got a truck.  With a bedliner.  Up yours.  grin

Yike. I knew I'd hear about that. IT'S A FREAKING TRUCK.  It doesn't need rhinoplasty up along the sides and over the top for an additional $300+.  It looks wussie, IMO   grin

Also, I'm confused about the bedliner issue.  I thought a bedliner prevented scratches, which prevents rust, which prevents stuff from falling out of the gaping holes in the bed.

I use a thick rubber bed mat when I don't want stuff sliding around.  If you keep a truck long enough under such severe conditions that rust creates gaping holes, I'd say the truck has lots of other problems, too.

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 12:34:20 PM »

The lady of the house drives the Pious.  I drive either a 'yote Echo or Ford Ranger 4x4.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 12:39:59 PM »

The lady of the house drives the Pious. 

Oh, so you do drive a Pious? 

Sorry.  Couldn't resist. 

Oh, about bed-liners.  How about preserving resale value?  Is that wussy?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 12:59:54 PM »

The lady of the house drives the Pious. 

Oh, so you do drive a Pious? 

Sorry.  Couldn't resist. 

Oh, about bed-liners.  How about preserving resale value?  Is that wussy?

Really it boils down to this.
I have a bedliner, and a 4x4 pickuptruck, and guns, because I have a small penis.
JD

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 01:01:51 PM »
There is a South Park episode you need to watch.
 grin

The one about creating the clouds of deadly smug?  grin grin grin grin grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Paddy

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 01:09:51 PM »
I have a bedliner, and a 4x4 pickuptruck, and guns, because I have a small penis.

Sorry, fistful has already used that excuse. You'll have to come up with your own.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 01:19:57 PM »
I use a thick rubber bed mat when I don't want stuff sliding around.  If you keep a truck long enough under such severe conditions that rust creates gaping holes, I'd say the truck has lots of other problems, too.
My Dad used to have a scrap piece of conveyor belt material from a coal power plant he did a job at.  That was a really tough bedline.  Rhino liner is good stuff though.  I would have gotten it, but I got a cover instead. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »
Where exactly is the dog safer?  If he is inside the truck during a wreck, how is that better than the bed of the truck?  The seat belts aren't made for him.  He just goes through the windshield before flying out of the truck.  I have seen dogs tied to a leash in the back of the truck.  I doubt that is better, but maybe. 

IMO, the guy who lost a dog taking a corner too fast is neglegent by his driving, not the location of the dog.  You can put people in the back of a truck also.  That doesn't mean you take speed bumps at 60 MPH. 

I have seen a number of people with the dog in the cage that is tied down in the back of the truck.  Mostly hunters.  That might be the best option. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 01:42:58 PM »

Sorry, fistful has already used that excuse. You'll have to come up with your own.

Oh, I didn't know I could use that as an excuse.  What exactly can I get away with, then?   smiley

I don't have a bed liner, or a 4x4, just the guns.  Big Manly Ones!  I used to have a big, manly pickup truck.  It had one of Riley's thick rubber mats in the back.  I thought that was a bed liner. 

jeepmor

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 01:48:17 PM »
Spray on truck bed liner is great stuff.  I have it inside my jeep and also had it completely undercoated with the stuff.  After 11 years with this stuff on it, it still looks great, not all scratched up and what not from 11 years of muddy dogs scratching the piss out of it.

However, I agree with the bigazz truck statement.  Being in the city, it just sucks to see these damn things everywhere when you know 90% of them are owned by folks with a boat or trailer that gets used once a year.  Meanwhile, they waste our resources as fast as they can all in the name of being free in Amercia because they can "afford" it.  Check out FUH2.com for some good laughs.

As for dogs in the back of the truck, it depends on the dog.  We had a lab as a kid (I'm from the Oregon coast, not many scorching days there) that, when parked, would climb up over the cab and lay on the hood because it was warm and he could keep an eye on you better.  Much like the avatar of my dog on my jeep.  She doesn't do that BTW, it was just a picture.

As for my dogs, they do ride in the back of the jeep unrestrained, at least one of them.  The other has followed me into store once or twice.  Not a big deal in home depot, but frowned upon in a grocery store.  On hot days, they stay home with a big bowl of fresh water and a 40 foot maple tree that offers lots of shade.

Riley, apparently you don't live in the rust belt or you'd embrace the bedliners as a good thing.  As for heat index, yep, they raise it significantly.

And some of you obviously are forgetting the joy it brings a dog to stick his face into the wind at highways speeds.  The one in my avatar lives for it and whines if the car windows don't get rolled down for her.  Again, for the record, the dogs do stay at home most of the summer on errand runs due to the heat.  And I've parked 1/4 mile away from my shopping location just so the dogs can be in the shade.  My wife and I have decided not to shop while out and about for lack of shade before also.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

"Oh, so now you're saying they don't have a right to whine about their First Amendment rights?  Fascist."  -fistul

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2007, 01:54:42 PM »
Actually a real work truck has a spray on liner because the user is worried about functionality, not looking macho or keeping the truck "pretty".

I agree with the dog thing though, not a good thing to do.  Although personally I don't see the big deal with the dog riding in the back of the truck under reasonable circumstances.  A lot of people work with dogs, not just keep them simply for pets, and 999/1000 nothing bad will happen.

I do agree you shouldn't drive down the highway like that or take hairpin turns, but every time somebody says "There outta be a law..." there usually shouldn't be.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2007, 02:02:35 PM »
every time somebody says "There outta be a law..." there usually shouldn't be. 

Never heard that one before.  I like it. 

But since this thread is really about bed liners,  smiley don't some trucks get those at the factory? 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2007, 03:20:32 PM »
I think there is a law in MT that makes it a felony not to have a dog riding in the back of your pickup when you drive into town  grin

Back in Gunnison, there used to be a rancher that drove around town with a cowdog riding on top of the cab  shocked

As far as bedliner, up here we mostly use loose hay, orange twine, empty oil cans, wood scraps, rusty bolts, etc to protect the floor of the bed.  Though more often than not it is a "Hydra-bed" or some other flatbed type. Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2007, 03:38:07 PM »
As somebody who has a Line-X bedliner in his pickup, I'd say the denigration of said practice has gone about far enough in this thread. I have plenty of reasons to protect my investment, so let's not go there.  Rather, why don't we get back to the thread topic of dogs in pickup beds, ok? Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2007, 04:50:19 PM »
As somebody who has a Line-X bedliner in his pickup, I'd say the denigration of said practice has gone about far enough in this thread. I have plenty of reasons to protect my investment, so let's not go there.  Rather, why don't we get back to the thread topic of dogs in pickup beds, ok? Wink

That Line-X and Rhino Liner stuff is kinda rough and could chafe the doggy's paws. grin
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 05:33:58 PM »
Yeah, if you've got some wussy dog!!!111