Author Topic: Turkey and Stuffing in August  (Read 3506 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Turkey and Stuffing in August
« on: August 27, 2023, 05:31:11 PM »
Well, I was making the plum sauce a few days ago for this year's Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey, and when I went to put the containers in the chest freezer, I discovered I still had a container of plum sauce from last year in there. So I figured "What the heck?" and went to Costco for a turkey breast (Costco has amazing turkey breasts), got the stuffing components, and had "Thanksgiving in Summer" today.  :laugh:

I just made the stuffing in a casserole dish, which, yeah, you lose a little of the meat juices from cooking it inside the bird, but I find that on the plus side, it makes a nice crust on top.

I just sliced up part of the turkey breast, buttered and seasoned the slices, and stuck them in the countertop convection oven for ten minutes. Came out great. I'm actually thinking that for the first time ever, I might not roast a whole bird this Thanksgiving and just do the breast. The whole turkey was always a nice tradition when family was still around, but this method is simple, takes like 80% less time, and still tastes great.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Turkey and Stuffing in August
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 07:23:24 AM »
My family used to do a full-bore holiday turkey dinner in mid summer.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 05:02:55 PM »
Not plum sauce but a frozen creation we call cranberry sherbet.  My grandmother used to make it every year and, when she could no longer do so, my Mom did.  Now I'm doing it.  And yes, I still have a 1 qt. container in the freezer from last year.  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 05:30:44 PM »
You had best be posting the recipe for the cranberry sherbet.  It would be racist if you didn't.  Or would you be racist if you did?  I'm not sure.  Just post the recipe.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 07:33:21 AM »
Not plum sauce but a frozen creation we call cranberry sherbet.  My grandmother used to make it every year and, when she could no longer do so, my Mom did.  Now I'm doing it.  And yes, I still have a 1 qt. container in the freezer from last year.  =D

Recipe, please!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 07:35:37 AM »
"I just sliced up part of the turkey breast, buttered and seasoned the slices, and stuck them in the countertop convection oven for ten minutes."

Interesting. Never thought of doing something like that.

I wonder what simmering the slices in seasoned butter, aka confit, would do for them.

I bet make them unhealthy as hell.  :rofl:

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 02:17:58 PM »
We do one or two turkey breasts a year outside of Thankful Thursday. We usuall do them in the summe so we have turkey breast left over for sandwiches. 

bob

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 06:10:34 PM »
I have an Aldi turkey thawing in the fridge for this weekend. I always look for them right after thanksgiving sometimes as cheap as $.49 per pound. Gonna do it in the pit barrel cooker.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 09:24:23 PM »
Recipe, please!

Cranberry Sherbet

Knox unflavored gelatin – 1 ½ Tbs.   (2 packets)         Orange juice – 1 cup
Sugar – 3 ½ cups    Lemon juice – 4 Tbs.   Cranberries – 2 lbs.

Put berries in a large pot (or sink) of cold water to rinse them off. 
CLEAN berries & pick out bad ones (soft/mushy).  Put in large pot with 4 ½ cups hot water – cook until tender, about 12 min. after they start boiling.
SOAK gelatin in OJ & ½ cup cold water.
REMOVE berries from stove after cooked – MASH & STRAIN into another pan. *(I have an old hand-cranked rotary food puree tool to do this.  We used to use a large metal spoon and a wire strainer but that requires two people.)
ADD about 3-½ cups sugar plus a pinch of salt.
PUT on stove, bring to a BOIL.  Add gelatin/OJ mix, COOK for a few minutes, until all the gelatin has dissolved.

REMOVE from stove – ADD 4 Tbs. lemon juice, TASTE, add more lemon juice until desired tartness is reached.
SCRAPE white or pink scum as it cools.  POUR into container and refrigerate UNCOVERED (you may need to skim more scum) until COLD, then FREEZE.

Historical notes:
Cranberries used to be in 16 oz. bags.  They are now 12 oz. bags, that’s why you use 3 bags (36 oz.)
The gelatin packets hold just a bit less than 1 Tbs. and as you’re using a bit more of the berries, just use 2 full packets. 
The rest of the ingredients stay the same.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 06:54:01 AM »
Nice! Thanks!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 05:02:50 PM »
I'm making Barber Farms chicken breasts stuff with broccoli and cheese for dinner, and as an accompaniment I'm making store brand stove top stuffing mix.

Just not up to cooking anything more elaborate.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2023, 10:03:17 PM »
I'm making Barber Farms chicken breasts stuff with broccoli and cheese for dinner, and as an accompaniment I'm making store brand stove top stuffing mix.

Just not up to cooking anything more elaborate.

Those sound good too.