Author Topic: 10 things the military won't tell you  (Read 1492 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
10 things the military won't tell you
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-things-the-military-wont-tell-you-2014-12-12

Interesting economic and financial tidbits about service.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: 10 things the military won't tell you
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
Some of that has always been true.

My father graduated from Annapolis in 1948 and spent the next six years in the U.S. Navy.  During the Korean War he served in a U.D.T. Team (a sort of precursor to U.S. Navy SEALs) and for one year after the end of the war, in the Submarine Service.  He resigned his commission in 1954 when he decided to marry my mother, since he didn't believe married life was compatible with military service (this was HIS OPINION and reflects only how he felt about this; we all know other servicemen who have had successful marriages and careers). 
He did remarkably well in his civilian career.   A testament to his drive, ambition, and also IMHO the education he received at Annapolis. 
He didn't much like discussing his Korean War experience, but during the Vietnam war there were news reports on TV that would provoke him as he felt they were based on ignorance of war and were unfair, and he'd sometimes relate a wartime exprience to illustrate his point.
As a young child I was of course very curious about his wartime experience ... but I learned also that he didn't want to talk much about it so I learned to respect that.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 12:35:44 PM »
Every person sitting down with a recruiter should be handed a copy of http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/tommy.html and have to read it out loud and explain what they think it means before signing on the dotted line.

As much as I make fun of
I am grateful to know that there are those that will stick it out and fight to keep us free.  (That does not imply that I always agree with the foreigh policy being enforced through military might, or the way that might is being applied.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »
Every person sitting down with a recruiter should be handed a copy of http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/tommy.html and have to read it out loud and explain what they think it means before signing on the dotted line.

Ain't THAT the TRUTH. 
I love Rudyard Kipling ....
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:19:19 PM »

As much as I make fun of
I am grateful to know that there are those that will stick it out and fight to keep us free.  (That does not imply that I always agree with the foreigh policy being enforced through military might, or the way that might is being applied.)

stay safe.

Tommy sees what you did there.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:36:46 PM »

+ yes
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »
Some of that has always been true.

My father graduated from Annapolis in 1948 and spent the next six years in the U.S. Navy.  During the Korean War he served in a U.D.T. Team (a sort of precursor to U.S. Navy SEALs) and for one year after the end of the war, in the Submarine Service.  He resigned his commission in 1954 when he decided to marry my mother, since he didn't believe married life was compatible with military service (this was HIS OPINION and reflects only how he felt about this; we all know other servicemen who have had successful marriages and careers). 
He did remarkably well in his civilian career.   A testament to his drive, ambition, and also IMHO the education he received at Annapolis. 
He didn't much like discussing his Korean War experience, but during the Vietnam war there were news reports on TV that would provoke him as he felt they were based on ignorance of war and were unfair, and he'd sometimes relate a wartime exprience to illustrate his point.
As a young child I was of course very curious about his wartime experience ... but I learned also that he didn't want to talk much about it so I learned to respect that.

A lot of the guys I went to West Point with had the same feeling about service life vs. married life.  Others got married within days of graduation.  I was of the same mind as your father.  Didn't want to drag a wife and kids around the country/world with me, forcing them to recreate their lives each time I had a change of duty post.  For those of us who made that decision, the finances weren't as bad living as a young single lieutenant.  Of course, it was the 80's, the Cold War was coming to an end, and Army service was pretty much a day job.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark