Author Topic: Media Screwup on Guns #975,347,210  (Read 2262 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Media Screwup on Guns #975,347,210
« on: January 19, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »
This is a good one. "Led projectile gun".

http://www.kcoy.com/Global/story.asp?S=20627618

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Media Screwup on Guns #975,347,210
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:57:33 PM »
The reason being is when an animal is shot and its not retrieved a condor could get to it, eat it, and get lead poisoning.

No, that's not from the comments. A real-deal professional news site actually put that sentence in an article.  [barf]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:01:17 PM »
That article reads like it was written by a 12 year old.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:04:19 PM »
No, that's not from the comments. A real-deal professional news site actually put that sentence in an article.  [barf]

There is actually a lead ban for that entire region of CA (one of the reasons I put this in politics) because of the California Condor. However it also irked me that they created a new dangerous weapon type called the "Led (sic) projectile gun", which they refer to as an "illegal gun", once again creating more false information on firearms.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
yes, it does read like someone in grade school or junior high wrote it.

The gun used was a led projectile gun which is illegal as there is a lead ban in the area. The reason being is when an animal is shot and its not retrieved a condor could get to it, eat it, and get lead poisoning.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:24:17 PM »
L e d... Does it make pretty lights?

Seriously, forget message boards, with my bad spelling, grammer fails and failure to do research before I post, I should just become a journalist.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 10:56:41 PM »
L e d... Does it make pretty lights?

Seriously, forget message boards, with my bad spelling, grammer fails and failure to do research before I post, I should just become a journalist.

You do know you will have to be lobotomized before you can assume that title don't you?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:59:44 PM »
You do know you will have to be lobotomized before you can assume that title don't you?

I could still do a better job then half these hacks.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »
I've been seeing a lot of misspelling, poor grammar and other very basic mistakes in newspaper stories from all over. Makes me wonder if the newspapers can't afford spell check anymore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »
Makes me wonder if the newspapers can't afford spell check anymore.

Well, "led" is spelled correctly. What they need are freakin' proofreaders with an IQ not in the double digits. Don't even get me started on fact checkers.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
There is actually a lead ban for that entire region of CA (one of the reasons I put this in politics) because of the California Condor. However it also irked me that they created a new dangerous weapon type called the "Led (sic) projectile gun", which they refer to as an "illegal gun", once again creating more false information on firearms.

Does this Led projectile gun bring down zeppelins?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 11:53:37 PM »
I've been seeing a lot of misspelling, poor grammar and other very basic mistakes in newspaper stories from all over. Makes me wonder if the newspapers can't afford spell check anymore.

Stop wondering. Now, they can't. Stories are now uploaded essentially the way they are received, and "edited" only for length where necessary to make space for the one paid ad they were able to sell this week.

What I love are the "articles" that appear on the web sites of local television stations -- the "articles" that are nothing more than (poor) transcriptions of the illiterate ramblings of the roving, on-the-scene reporters and their red-hot interviewees. The roving reporters can't speak proper English, and God forbid anyone should, like, correct it before putting it up on the web.

And we wonder why Johnny can't read.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 12:31:27 AM »
I sometimes think that reporting has been outsourced to India, along with telemarketing.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 01:07:36 AM »
I sometimes think that reporting has been outsourced to India, along with telemarketing.

No, journalism has been outsourced to Europe. Along with the government. Why else would they be building "high-speed" rail from Lake Michigan to the Missouri?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 01:17:53 AM »

All the hallmarks of a dying industry. As circulation drops, and Craigslist gutted their want-ad profits, the newspapers have had to offer buy-outs to the older staff that actually... you know, had journalistic skills.

And I think there's a downward selection pressure working on the newspapers too. The writing's been on the wall over their fate for the better part of a decade now. So that means there's now been 1 or even 2 cohorts of college graduates who, knowing what was happening, went for a career in print journalism anyway.  :facepalm:

So I think there's some truth to the idea that anyone smart enough to be a good journalist is by definition also smart enough to not be a (print) journalist these days.

Other symptoms of this are the incidents of printing CCW or gun-license maps or databases, behind the equally dubious and thin veil of "the public's right to know" is the desperation that "We need to sell papers!"

BTW Monkeyleg, were  you aware that the Eugene Kane of the Journal Sentinel got demoted to working the city beat, then later in October took a buyout? I guess times are tough and they can't afford a full time race baiter anymore.  :laugh:

Just yesterday I was accosted at Pick 'N Save by the sales-drones working the Journal Sentinel kiosk they set up in the supermarket every few weeks, trying to hand out free papers. (Which I'm sure counts towards their circulation numbers... I bet they try to count the bottom of every parakeet cage in the Milwaukee metro too.)  I declined the paper, and told them I thought institutions in decline should have the dignity to give up at some point. They went  ??? then  :O...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:29:07 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 02:08:51 AM »
Does this Led projectile gun bring down zeppelins?

The whole article left me dazed and confused ...
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 02:57:46 AM »
BTW Monkeyleg, were  you aware that the Eugene Kane of the Journal Sentinel got demoted to working the city beat, then later in October took a buyout? I guess times are tough and they can't afford a full time race baiter anymore.

No. That's great. Too bad he got a buyout. I would rather he flipped burgers for the rest of his life.

I'm seeing the same thing with the liberal rag down here that I saw with the Journal Sentinel: cancel your subscription, and they keep giving you the paper for free to keep their circulation numbers up for advertising. I'm really tempted to call the newspaper audit company and have them do one on the rag down here.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 01:44:03 PM »
No. That's great. Too bad he got a buyout. I would rather he flipped burgers for the rest of his life.

Racist!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 02:10:05 PM »
Aww, that's so cute. They're trying to understand.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2098375438001/what-makes-a-gun-an-assault-rifle/?intcmp=obnetwork

I've got to stand up for FOX a little bit.  Over a week ago, I sent an email to newsmanager@foxnews.com complaining about some of their coverage being uninformed, biased, and just plain sloppy.  Since then, I've naturally paid even more attention to their reporting.  I do most of my FOX viewing from 2:30 am to 4:00 am, then a bit more in the 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm range.  Generally, I've been fairly pleased.  I really do think that (with a few exceptions {coughrileycough}) they've actually been trying to learn and to give a proper presentation of what the gun grab is all about.  I.E., it ain't about hunting.   Hence, their link above.  Again, they're not perfect.  But I really do believe most of them are trying.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »
So...was it the 4 legged variety, or from south of the border?