Author Topic: "Shooter" movie mistakes  (Read 10623 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: "Shooter" movie mistakes
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 12:39:06 PM »
When aren't the books better than the movies?

The John Wayne movie A Quiet Man was better than the story it was based on.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
For some real fun, watch a airplane film with an airplane pilot or mechanic, a hospital show or movie with an actual RN or doctor, a court film with a real judge or lawyer, a crime film with a real detective or investigator, or a computer hacker film with an actual computer programmer.

Turns out, Hollywood isn't just faking gun scenes; they're faking everything!

When I see a photographer in a movie and watch him work, I rarely see anything that comes close to real life. Ditto with gun things, and other things I know about. So I just figure that anything about anything in a movie is made up, and never count on movies for reference to the real world.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 01:00:05 PM »
The John Wayne movie A Quiet Man was better than the story it was based on.

I gotta disagree with that. The movie was longer, but by no means better.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
When I see a photographer in a movie and watch him work, I rarely see anything that comes close to real life. Ditto with gun things, and other things I know about. So I just figure that anything about anything in a movie is made up, and never count on movies for reference to the real world.

You know, that's gotta be painful for some of the authors these movies are based off when the authors took pains and interviewed experts to try to get such things right in their books.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
You know, that's gotta be painful for some of the authors these movies are based off when the authors took pains and interviewed experts to try to get such things right in their books.

There's a custom 1000 yard rifle maker who advertises on my site named Vaughn Beals. He's out of Pennsylvania. He told me that everything in the book is 100% accurate. I don't know if the paper-patching scene counts as "accurate", but I tend to believe what he says.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2011, 02:51:29 PM »

Hurts 'em right in their wallets.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »
There's a custom 1000 yard rifle maker who advertises on my site named Vaughn Beals. He's out of Pennsylvania. He told me that everything in the book is 100% accurate. I don't know if the paper-patching scene counts as "accurate", but I tend to believe what he says.
I thought in the movie, he got the case dismissed by showing that he had changed the firing pin in the rifle so it would not fire. 

As for the bullet, if the bad guys had as much influence as they described, they could have substituted the other bullet in the evidence room.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
Especially Stephen Hunter. He seems to go far out of his way to get every little detail correct.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »
I thought in the movie, he got the case dismissed by showing that he had changed the firing pin in the rifle so it would not fire. 

As for the bullet, if the bad guys had as much influence as they described, they could have substituted the other bullet in the evidence room.

Yes, he showed that he had changed the firing pin, although I don't know how that would keep the rifle from firing. He checked on the paper patching to see if his Dinty Moore bullet might have been used in the assassination (even though a sniper of any caliber would know that a bullet fired through a metal can would be unusable again).

As for substituting bullets, they would have needed a bullet fired from his rifle that would have appeared to have been taken from a body. They had his rifle, and presumably his ammo, so why not get a clean bullet, paper patch it, and shoot the archbishop?

I would think that paper patching would affect accuracy, especially at 1800 yards.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2011, 08:52:12 PM »
In the book and the movie, the firing pin was shortened so it would not contact the primer. No bang.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »
When aren't the books better than the movies?

The Graduate
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:06 PM »
The Graduate

The book was worse? Seriously?  :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »

My problem isn't with movies. It's the exact same thing with the news. If you watch a news story on something you know about, or with someone who's an expert on the subject matter, guns, computers, medical, science, law... it'll inevitably be wrong.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »
Oh, that's a given, AJ. Such as when they report on a stabbing and show a graphic of a gun behind the news anchor.