Author Topic: Nail Polish in carpet - removal techniques with pictures.  (Read 648 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Nail Polish in carpet - removal techniques with pictures.
« on: March 12, 2012, 01:54:14 AM »
AJ posted something that prompted me to try different removal techniques to get dried nail polish out of carpet.

Chemicals tried:

• Acetone
  • Hydrogen Peroxide
  • Carb Cleaner
  • Ethanol Alcohol
  • Ether

Results:

Carb cleaner for the win.  For reference, my carb cleaner is made of Xylene, Methyl Alcohol and Acetone. Outstanding results.  Would have been better if I used a little more, too.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Nail Polish in carpet - removal techniques with pictures.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:16:50 AM »
Did you try MEK?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:27:45 AM »
Did you try MEK?

No, I actually mentioned to my roomate that I was sad that I didn't have any MEK around.  I think it would work fantastic as well, providing it didn't also disolve the polymers in the carpet. (MEK has proven to be rather aggressive in my experience.)

I might try that, and some toluene tomorrow.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 06:39:32 AM »
Whatever uou do, remember to breath deeply.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
Carb cleaner for the win.  For reference, my carb cleaner is made of Xylene, Methyl Alcohol and Acetone. Outstanding results.  Would have been better if I used a little more, too.

Boy.  Try that and La Esposa would be complaining of psychosomatic chemical sensitivities for a long time to come.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
I've got plenty of brake/carb cleaner I use as gunscrubber, so I'll try that. Although I'll have to wait for the weekend so I can do it in the morning and then run box fans in the girls bedroom for a good chunk of the day to make sure it's cleared out.

I promise not to duck.