Author Topic: Who wants bacon?  (Read 8104 times)

BridgeWalker

Re: Who wants bacon?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 07:47:26 PM »
fistful, you've just made me blush.  Now I can't even go back and fix it without rendering your post unintelligible.

Uh, yeah, so I meant to *eat* bacon...

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 07:50:07 PM »
In the Army, I knew a guy that had a Muslim step-father, so he didn't eat pork when he was growing up.  He said he was now unable to stomach pork.    

Coming as I do from a very long line of Jews, my resistance to bacon is similar to that of Native Americans to smallpox or alcohol.  Of course, instead of death or dysfunction I end up with greasy fingers and an elavated cholesterol count.  I used to work at a restaurant as a dishwasher, and at the end of the night when the uneaten bacon was sent back...

While by no means keeping kosher, I have tried very hard to eliminate "the pig" from my diet.  And I continue on the quest for a good Turkey bacon...
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 08:04:14 PM »
I continue on the quest for a good Turkey bacon... 

You are a bad person. 

Uh, yeah, so I meant to *eat* bacon... 

Are you mad?  You just invented one of the greatest verbs in the English tongue, and you won't even take credit for it?   laugh

I really thought you meant to say that.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BridgeWalker

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 08:10:45 PM »
Are you mad?  You just invented one of the greatest verbs in the English tongue, and you won't even take credit for it?   laugh

I really thought you meant to say that.   smiley

Well, I just assuaged my perfectionistic temptations by going back and removing an errant comma from my last post, so now I feel better.   laugh

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 08:53:58 PM »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 03:39:52 AM »
My family (although christian) kept some of the kosher food laws. No bacon for me til I was ~16-17. I think that counts as child abuse. grin
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 05:05:36 AM »
Gentleman and ladies, I present the bacon flowchart: http://incredimazing.com/page/Bacon_Flowchart

And Ms. MillCreek and I have been known to use the term 'pork' as a verb; i.e.: how about some morning pork?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 05:11:44 AM »

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 06:20:10 AM »
I continue on the quest for a good Turkey bacon...

Poser!  Stop dabbling and give yourself wholly to The Dark Side.

Faken

INGREDIENTS
1 (7.5 ounce) package smoked firm tofu, frozen and thawed
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 dash liquid smoke flavoring (optional)
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

DIRECTIONS
Slice the thawed tofu into very thin slices (like bacon). In a medium bowl, stir together the yeast, water, maple syrup, liquid smoke, soy sauce, onion powder and garlic powder. Place the tofu strips into the bowl to marinate for at least 10 minutes.

Heat butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Quickly fry tofu strips until crisp, turning once, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.

Since I don't usually purchase meat for the home, bacon is a rare (as in infrequent) item in my diet.  Usually only Canadian on a pizza or a BLT when dining out.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

The Viking

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »
Has anyone to date discovered a decent "instant" bacon? You know, the "zap it for 5 seconds in the nuker" stuff...

You don't have a lot of patience do you? Bacon is as instant as you can have it! laugh
Heat up frying pan, throw in chopped up bacon, blink twice, and it's done!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 06:39:22 AM »
One of my favorite meals is chicken wrapped with bacon and fried. Cut boneless chicken breasts into chunks, wrap with a piece of bacon, and fry.

Serve with rice and gravy. mmmmm....

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 06:43:31 AM »
Well, Turkey bacon goodness may never happen, but at least I have access to a smoked food that can make me forget the traif entirely:

Nova Lox!!!

Ummmmmyum!
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Archie

• friend
  • Galactic Effectuator
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »
With apologies to Will Rogers, I don't think I've ever met a bacon or a sausage (except those overdosed with chili powder) I didn't like.

And it's been way too long since I had a good pork chop.
As long as the citizens of the United States own and keep personal weapons, we can argue about all the other issues that concern us.  The instant we lose the ability to keep weapons, our masters will decide all those other issues for us.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
Well, except for the Orthodox Jews and conservative Muslims and such.   smiley

Truly, the ability to bacon is one of the glories of Christianity.  I'm not even being silly--there's just something wonderful about a faith that bans so few things.

In the Army, I knew a guy that had a Muslim step-father, so he didn't eat pork when he was growing up.  He said he was now unable to stomach pork. 

Yeah, I had my first pork at 24 after being raised Orthodox Jewish, and although I am blessed with my great delight in bacon, I have a hard time with most pork products.  Just an odd taste to me.  I'd like to try some wild boar--possibly that won't have the same too white, almost over-ripe soft texture of domesticated pork.

Thanks a lot.....when the room stops spinning & I can get off the floor, I'll have to get another MRI of my head......

....and then go out for smothered grilled pork chops in bacon gravy.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.