Author Topic: Gun shop employee question  (Read 2257 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Gun shop employee question
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:09:53 AM »
In a few years, after the ladyfriend graduates, we'll be moving to Colorado Springs, where her family is.  I was fantasizing last night about how cool it would be to work in a gun shop.  So, what does the typical gun shop employee pull down a year?  Anyone know?

mfree

• friend
Re: Gun shop employee question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 08:13:35 AM »
I'm not typical because I have a primary job and the shop work is seconday so I haven't pushed very hard (I'm there for fun and spending cash).

I can say that except for restaurant work, I could have done nearly anything else and made more; I could not, however, have had more fun or learned more about my favorite hobby.

Sometimes it ain't all about the Benjamins, dig?

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 08:15:30 AM »
Yeah, but I need a proper amount of Benjamins to pay the bills Smiley  Maybe a weekend gun shop gig would be the ticket.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 08:24:06 AM »
I'm guessing that most of them are retired from their previous jobs as customer disservice reps...

Blog under construction

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 08:28:01 AM »
I'm guessing that most of them are retired from their previous jobs as customer disservice reps...

Or Navy Seals....
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
A friend of mine works in a gun shop in Va, and he doesn't make much at all. I don't know if that is the norm though.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 09:11:18 AM »
I would think working in a gunstore would be depressing for someone who was just in Iraq.

Because they'd probably recall all the battlefield pickups they'd seen everywhere, from BARs to PPSh's, and be reminded each and every day how many tens of thousands of dollars they'd be worth here.  smiley

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »

Or Navy Seals Seels....

Fixed!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »
Cool, you can start telling people they have to keep their magazines unloaded unless they want them not to work. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 12:30:42 PM »
So, what does the typical gun shop employee pull down a year?

About enough to keep them in guns and ammunition.  Their other bills?  Who knows...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 12:41:40 PM »
there is a shop i am aware of that pays at least some of its employees NOTHING.

all they get is wholesale pricing on guns and no transfer fees.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 03:31:40 PM »
I used to work in a gun shop in Colorado Springs. There wasn't much money in it. I enjoyed working with the customers and teaching; uppermost management, however, left a bit to be desired.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
Well, sounds like there's not really a living to be made in it . That's fine, I'd still like to do some weekend hours at a shop, even if it's for free, in exchange for discounts.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 05:53:29 PM »
After NRA laid me off I worked part time in a gunstore to help make ends meet.

I certainly didn't get rich, but I was fortunate in that I was working there when the assault weapons/high capacity magazine ban were going into place. People were panic buying obscenely priced firearms and magazines.

I think I was making $7 an hour and 3% commission...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 05:57:30 PM »
It's a retail job - you earn about what retail clerks in your area earn. Less if you sign on as a moonlighter for sweetheart deals. But you get to carry your Sig P23244 on your hip at all times and feel pretty badass.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

bunni

• imfdb.org
    • Internet Movie Firearms Database
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 06:25:51 PM »
I'd imagine you'd make as much as any other hellish retail job - perhaps less since it seems nowadays many brick and mortar gun shops are sinking.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 06:31:49 PM »
I'd imagine you'd make as much as any other hellish retail job - perhaps less since it seems nowadays many brick and mortar gun shops are sinking.

A lot I've seen just price themselves to death. People are informed consumers now, they know how much stuff costs online, and they're not going to be fooled in a lot of cases. If a store has a rifle for hundreds of dollars more than it can be had for online, even with shipping and transfer fee, a lot of people are going to leave it there to get dusty.

One of the most successful ones I know of, my favorite store, MOVES guns. They have some higher-priced collector pieces, and they also move Saigas out the door at $250 for the 5.56 and $260 for the 7.62. They get S&B ammo and sell it for cheaper than Wal-Mart. They get odd lots of milsurp and stack it all over, like treasures to find and grab, and price it low to move.

As I result, I spend lots of money at the place!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »
I've worked for two brick-'n'-mortar FFLs.

There is no money to be had.  You cannot live on what they pay.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams