Author Topic: Nikon D70 - thoughts?  (Read 1510 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Nikon D70 - thoughts?
« on: June 27, 2007, 04:43:29 AM »
I have an opportunity to buy a used, but flawless Nikon D70 from someone at work fro $400.  Is this a good deal?  What do you think about this camera in general?

Thanks!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Nikon D70 - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 05:01:23 AM »
Is the chip clean? Otherwise, sounds like a good deal.

Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 05:12:10 AM »
The whole thing is immaculate.

I've sent email that I'll take it.  We'll see - it may already be gone.  Good deals usually are.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 05:44:36 AM »
B&H shows a used D70 at $439, so $400 is a good price IMO.  I'm not a fan of digital cameras, but the D70 was the first one to make me briefly consider the format.  The D80 is even better, but it runs about $900ish right now.

If you need/want the camera and it is as clean as you say, I'd go for it.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 07:39:54 AM »
If it's in that kind of shape it's a good deal.  If it has any lenses or accessories, all the better!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 08:16:34 AM »
Whole camera, or just the body?

I have one, and love it, except for the fact that it's defective, had to go back for repair once when it was new, and is now doing the same thing again, so has to back for repair or replacement.

But if it works, it's a really great camera.
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 09:29:31 AM »
Here is the description:

This camera has been with me for three years, it delivers great results each and every time. Both camera and lens are in excellent condition; no scratches or damages of any kind. I will also include a Contax UV filter which was put on the lens since the very first day. Also included is a Sandisk 512MB ExtremeII CF card, battery charger, cables, and a 5 year transferable extended waranty (2 years left).

It comes with a 18-70mm Zoom Lens, 512 MB CF card, battery and charger.

Picture1
Picture2
Picture3
Picture4
Picture5

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 10:26:08 AM »
Is it a D70S or a D70?  If it's an "S", I'd say that's a pretty good deal.  If not, it's still okay but nothing exceptional.

Greg

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 10:37:09 AM »
Is it a D70S or a D70?  If it's an "S", I'd say that's a pretty good deal.  If not, it's still okay but nothing exceptional.

I think it's a D70.  What's the difference between a D70 and D70S?  Looking at Dpreview, it looks like the LCD screen is 0.2 inches larger, but the technical details are the same.  Is it smaller?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 12:34:42 PM »
I have a d80 and love it. But 400 doesn't sound bad.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

nico

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 08:33:45 PM »
For $400, it doesn't sound bad if it's really in perfect condition.  The D70 is better than any new $400 camera.  It has the same light meter as the D200, which is (supposedly) much better than that of the D40 or D80, but also has a black and white histogram, which is a bad thing if you do much editing on the camera.   

Here's a good comparison of the various Nikon dSLRs
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/d200-d80-d70-d50-d40-5d-xti.htm

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 03:28:56 AM »

I think it's a D70.  What's the difference between a D70 and D70S?  Looking at Dpreview, it looks like the LCD screen is 0.2 inches larger, but the technical details are the same.  Is it smaller?
You can use a remote cord with it, newer battery technology, plus the larger LCD like you noted.  Believe me, you want all the real estate you can get.  That said, the price is a good one now that I compare it to what KEH is selling.  For a D70 body with cables, battery, and charger, they are asking $500.  You're getting all that plus a kit lens and a CF card.

Greg

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 08:18:05 PM »
I shot with one, and a D100, for a year. Nice fast response, and the shots are what you expect, after you do your compensation for the exposure (don't trust your TTL flash stuff... Do test shots before doing real stuff).

That lens made the deal, as far as I'm concerned... It's eq to about a 28, but hey...

Score a copy of Nikon Capture somewhere.

Blog under construction

Nick1911

• Administrator
UPDATE: I like it!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 05:14:50 PM »
Having no formal photography training or experience, I'm rather impressed.  I shot mostly on automatic mode, in the early evening.  The manual for the camera is in Spanish, so I'll have to dig up an English pdf online.

Here are some of tonights shots, with no color correction or alterations:

I'm rather thrilled to learn and grow into the capabilities of this camera.  grin

Edited to add:

I like the lens it came with; it's very versatile.  I would however like something that could give me very good macro, and I would also like to have more zoom.  (I'm rather partial to the 200mm lens I have for my old Cannon film camera...)  Nikkor len's are expensive, but it looks like you get what you pay for with photography!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 07:12:02 AM »

I like the lens it came with; it's very versatile.  I would however like something that could give me very good macro, and I would also like to have more zoom.  (I'm rather partial to the 200mm lens I have for my old Cannon film camera...)  Nikkor len's are expensive, but it looks like you get what you pay for with photography!

You'll never regret buying good glass.   smiley

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB