Author Topic: Question for Sandbox Vets  (Read 1662 times)

Legionnaire

Question for Sandbox Vets
« on: July 02, 2007, 07:39:50 AM »
Here's a question for those who have spent some time in Iraq (or Afghanistan).  I know several young men and women in the reserves who more than likely will be activated for duty some time during the next twelve months.  If I wanted to invest in a "deployment kit" as a gift that included legal, helpful, hard-to-get-in-country stuff, what would you suggest as a starting list?  Overall cost is a consideration, but not a deal breaker.  I suspect that there are others here that would also like to know what might go into such a kit to give to a loved one preparing to go into harm's way ...
Cogito, ergo armor.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
Re: Question for Sandbox Vets
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »
Hmmmm...  There are a lot of variables in the question you are asking.  Where are they going, what unit are they in, what are they doing?  A finance clerk that is stationed in the IZ really doesn't need anything special.  An infantryman or someone on a NPTT team living out on a COP may need more gear.  At the same time, remember that soldiers are already carrying a LOT of weight what with an IBA with chest AND side plates, weapon, magazines, NODs, first aid kit, and Kevlar.  And that is a minimum.  You can also expect to see things like dismount radios, Camelbacks, etc on top of that.

That said, here are some things that I personally have found very useful...

GOOD GENERAL GIFTS
A Gerber or similar multitool
I use mine all the time for opening boxes, fixing stuff on my HMMWV, taking apart the AC in our room, cutting zip ties, or whatever.  This is probably my number one piece of gear.  If they aren't issued one, consider getting them a multitool before just about anything else, no matter what MOS they are.

A small flashlight, preferably AA
I carry my Surefire, but a lot of times I find myself using a smaller light because I don't need that much brightness and I don't want to wear out my expensive Surefire batteries.  The basic AA Maglite is a great choice.  Another one is an Inova X1.  This is a small, AA powered LED light.  They produce a nice, even beam of light that is great for reading stuff at night, adjusting my radios, finding something I dropped or whatever.  This is another good general MOS piece of gear because most of the camps and FOBs in Iraq don't have street lights (unlike Kuwait), presumably for security reasons.

A digital camera
Digital cameras are a lot of fun for just taking random snapshots of people, places, historic monuments (I have some nice pictures of the crossed sabers at Saddam's old parade field), or whatever you encounter.  You don't have to worry about replacing the film, the pictures are free, and they can e-mail them or put them on a website.  This was a great way to show my deployment to my family on leave.

A USB Flash drive (minimum 512MB)
This isn't really field gear.  But it's extremely useful if you work in any kind of office in the Army.  And even non-office soldiers will be constantly swapping music, videos, pictures, and documents between their laptops.  EVERYONE has or buys a laptop downrange.

GOING OFF THE FOB GIFTS
A portable GPS (one that can display military grids!)
This is more of an Infantry/going of the FOB gift.  Esp if the individual in question is an NCO or PL.  A lot of times they will want to call up grids for where they are taking fire/reporting an IED/talking to an individual/need a MEDEVAC/whatever.  The small, portable, wrist type GPS units are great because you can  strap it to your IBA and always know where you are.

A digital watch
I suggest this solely because if you have vehicles you will need to keep your radios on PLGR time for them to sync with the other radios in the unit.  I set my watch to PLGR time so I can adjust my radios or run over and take care of someone else's radios on the fly, without having to check the DAGR on my BFT.  People are always borrowing my watch to fix their radios.

I guess I didn't give you too many real "field gear" ideas.  That is partly because we already carry so much gear and I personally am biased against adding too much more weight to it all.  And, in fairness, the Army has started issuing a lot of things that you used to see on "must have gear" lists, like gloves, goggles, knee pads, Camelbacks, etc.

The biggest thing I can say is continue to support them once they get in country.  They will have a better idea of what they need once they get their.  For example, I asked my mom to send my some Q-tips in Kuwait because my weapon was dirty from the ranges we did and the PX at Buehring didn't have Q-tips. 

Also, you can be a huge support by sending them monthly care packages.  Every month send them a box with homemade treats, favorite snacks, magazines, books, movies, whatever.  My mom, bless her heart, sends my a box very faithfully every month.  I got a bunch of boxes when I first got here and around Christmas, but she is the only one who has kept sending me stuff.  That little taste of home is a huge blessing.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 12:56:47 PM »
I've heard that Silly String is much-wanted, if it can be shipped. That it's used to check for tripwires by spraying it through an open doorway when clearing a house, seeing if it hangs on anything...but the Pentagon won't buy it.

American troops in Iraq have become masters of improvisation, like bolting jury-rigged armor to humvees to shield themselves from sniper fire and shrapnel. Lately, an even more novel item has joined their battle kits. Stratford, N.J., mom Marcelle Shriver recently got a call from her son Todd requesting ... Silly String. Marines working with his unit in Iraq had shown the Army combat engineer how it can be used to detect trip wires. Before searching buildings, for example, personnel spray doorways from at least 10 ft. away with streams of foam--and see if they're snagged by barely visible wires, which are often affixed to bombs. The Army acknowledges the off-label use, and Marine spokesman Captain Jay Delarosa says, "We force Marine trainees to improvise." Shriver is raising money to mail string to Iraq (aerosol cans are haz-mat and costly to ship). So the next time you waste string at a party, remember it could save a life.

esheato

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 01:36:37 PM »
I was there...twice. As an intel troop, I wasn't left wanting much. I burned through books at a frightening pace. Almost weekly, I was requesting a new package containing a few books.

Of the items already suggested, I think the USB drive is really novel. I never had one when I went, but I could imagine them being a great asset containing pics of family, friends and your favorite places.

The only other thing is some beer (against GO 1 in those AORs). I would have died to have a beer and just relax for a few min.

Ed

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 02:22:09 PM »
I really enjoyed the baby wipes that came in my care package from home. 

That, and the beef jerky.   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 02:44:12 PM »
've heard that Silly String is much-wanted, if it can be shipped. That it's used to check for tripwires by spraying it through an open doorway when clearing a house, seeing if it hangs on anything...but the Pentagon won't buy it.
Whyizzat?  WTF is wrong with the Pentagon?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 03:06:53 PM »
This is mainly from a grunts perspective, so if these are going to someone who's mainly on a base I can't really recommend much.

Better mags. I'll say it again: better mags. I was issued old, abused POS mags that I didn't get a chance to check for function (or even load) until I was in country. Disgusting. Minimum required for me was six mags; I usually carried at least 8. I'd say 10 or a dozen of the best mags you can find would be swell.

Good kevlar gloves. The ones we were issued were crap; I was very grateful I'd bought a nice pair from Blackhawk.

A couple sizes of quality multi-tools.

A headlamp, preferably LED with both white and red. Super super useful; I woulda been hating life without mine.

A thumb drive is actually very handy, especially if you are in any kind of leadership billet.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 07:43:38 PM »
I would echo what everyone else on here has said.  It all depends on the unit and the person's job within the unit.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 09:36:15 PM »
Better mags. I'll say it again: better mags. I was issued old, abused POS mags that I didn't get a chance to check for function (or even load) until I was in country. Disgusting. Minimum required for me was six mags; I usually carried at least 8. I'd say 10 or a dozen of the best mags you can find would be swell.

I've heard a lot of people say that the mags they issue with the M9s are absolute crap, like the cheapest third-party they could find (Promag?), so probably sending anyone who was issued one a half-dozen Mec-Gars would make their day, but does that apply to the M-4's as well?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 11:21:31 PM »
The M-4 mags are better than the M9's but not by much.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 10:24:09 PM »
I've heard a lot of people say that the mags they issue with the M9s are absolute crap, like the cheapest third-party they could find (Promag?), so probably sending anyone who was issued one a half-dozen Mec-Gars would make their day, but does that apply to the M-4's as well?

In my platoon only our gunners, plt sgt and lt got M9's; even for them mags were scarce. The ones I saw were crap.

The '16 mags were just about as bad. Of the six I was officially issued 2 had issues serious enough to rate as non functioning. Of course I found this out after I was in country a coupla weeks.  angry We got one H&K steel mag apiece (I was in a wpns co, I think line co guys got 2 or 3) that was really nice. The rest were a horrific assortment of mostly off brand junk. I can't think of a better gift than a bunch of high quality, NIB mags.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 02:02:06 PM »
My son's best friend is over there right now in the Army.  I have a few mil-spec M16 mags left over from my time in the Corps thirty years ago. (I'm not telling how that came to be.)
Not a lot of wear on them, only used at the range. Never had any problem with them.  I wonder if these would be of use to my son's friend?
He's in combat frequently, but I don't know what his TO weapon is.  Would the old M16 mags fit today's M4s, assuming that's what he has?

Also, does anyone know of restrictions on what you can send in a care package?  Would mags be permissible?
I've sent food items over to him, but nothing else to this point.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
Mags should be fine.  Just make sure they are not loaded. grin

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
Mags are interchangeable between all variants of the '16, AR-15, M-4 etc etc. If they are that old they may have the crappy old follower that can get jammed. I believe the anti-tilt followers are available fairly cheap.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 10:24:56 PM »
My son's best friend is over there right now in the Army.  I have a few mil-spec M16 mags left over from my time in the Corps thirty years ago. (I'm not telling how that came to be.)
Not a lot of wear on them, only used at the range. Never had any problem with them.  I wonder if these would be of use to my son's friend?
He's in combat frequently, but I don't know what his TO weapon is.  Would the old M16 mags fit today's M4s, assuming that's what he has?

Totally, yes.

Even if they didn't fit his personal weapon, they'd be great trade goods.  Remember having to trade for stuff you just didn't have because the supply system was too slow/useless?

If you're willing to give up those mags, god bless you...but send them NOW.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Legionnaire

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 04:11:50 PM »
Thanks, all; much obliged.  Sorry I can't provide any more detail on where the unit might be deployed ... they don't know, although they assume Iraq.  I'm just thinking ahead.  Would like to provide a few kits to send along when they do go.  Suggestions here have been very helpful.
Cogito, ergo armor.