Author Topic: Reality just completely broke. This...um...this... *holds head*  (Read 10819 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Reality just completely broke. This...um...this... *holds head*
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »
So in this example, art history is the serious major?  laugh

Yes, humanities are serious majors. You cannot understand the world around you without understanding how people before you thought.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 01:25:27 PM »
Yes, humanities are serious majors. You cannot understand the world around you without understanding how people before you thought.

This is a very succint and intelligent means of explaining the importance of any number of subjects.

It's a shame no one believes that in the public schools.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
It gets worse.

They are putting the "Hope" poster in the Smithsonian.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090107/entertainment/obama_portrait_gallery

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 04:04:59 PM »
This is a very succint and intelligent means of explaining the importance of any number of subjects.

It's a shame no one believes that in the public schools.

I went to a private school after age 14 for a damn good reason. My parents contributed more to my education than the public schools did before that - or, to be frank, than the private school did, too.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »
I always thought Spidey boy sucked anyway....A pox on the Marvel house and Stan Lee can now officially kiss my....

The only thing he still writes is the daily newspaper strip.

I don't think Spidey sucks, he's just a misguided do-gooder without any especially cool powers or weaknesses. That's one thing Stan got right most of the time, a superhero/villain seems much more interesting and human with weaknesses, life problems, and ego.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »
Then how is it that most  humanities majors don't understand squat about the world around them?

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 02:23:09 AM »
Then how is it that most  humanities majors don't understand squat about the world around them?

He said something about understanding your predecessors, not anything about your contemporaries.

Why do you think most journalism students argue about the 1st Amendment being supreme while failing to grasp that the 2nd Amendment insures that they have the right to spout their bull?

It is really a shame that lots of these people can't do a little time in a place that would strip them of the rights so that they could understand exactly what it is that they are trying so hard to destroy.

"I have the truth and it is hot for the press."

"Have you cleared it with the dept. of truth?"

"No, I have the truth."

"Have you cleared it?"

"What?"

"They have guns, you don't. You die and the truth never comes out."

"This is the land of the free."

"Free to say what we approve."

and on and on...

you get the idea

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 09:45:39 AM »
Why do you think most journalism students argue about the 1st Amendment being supreme while failing to grasp that the 2nd Amendment insures that they have the right to spout their bull?

Leftism. And see below:

There are people who take humanities because they feel they need to have some form of BA and because they think that is 'easier'. I know these people, but frankly that's just because they're idiots. They don't count.

You cannot understand what the modern Democratic Party is about or where it came from if you haven't familiarized yourself, at least on a superficial level, with guys like Lester Ward and the Populist movement of the late 19th century. Nor can you really understand the Founding Fathers without learning about the intellectual, social, and yes, religious climate they formed their ideas in.

Yes, some people think that if they read a few books, they're going to be just the same as a guy with a degree in history. Which is about the same as me saying I'm as good as Walter Williams because I read a dozen books in economics – nonsense.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 10:45:53 AM »

Yeah, it's only the engineers and scientists who get it.  Because they're all up on all the latest news and complex mathematics yield sensible political positions.

The problem is that many critics don't actually read the work that is conducted in the various fields that comprise "humanities", and so they conclude that it's not intellectually rigorous.  It's an interesting irony, having these commentators accusing other people of not understanding the world because the commentators themselves don't understand what's going on.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »
Are you a humanities student, SS?

;)

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »
Are you a humanities student, SS?

;)

No.  Better: I'm an attorney.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:44:24 AM by shootinstudent »
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 08:35:55 AM »
makes sign of cross and backs away slowly
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »
Aw, come on. They can't all be evil.  =D

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 09:21:23 PM »
Aw, come on. They can't all be evil.  =D

Well it would seem statistically unlikely anyway.  =D
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
Spidey is an Obamanoid??

Where'd I put that can of Black Flag, anyway??.... 

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 02:26:59 AM »
Well it would seem statistically unlikely anyway.  =D

They probably got some "advice" before publishing the stats, I imagine :)