Author Topic: Illinois House impeaches Gov. Rod Blagojevich  (Read 1875 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Illinois House impeaches Gov. Rod Blagojevich
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:28:58 PM »
 SPRINGFIELD, Ill. – The Illinois House voted overwhelmingly Friday to impeach Gov. Rod Blagojevich, an unprecedented action that sets up a Senate trial on whether he should be thrown out for abuse of power, including allegations that he tried to sell President-elect Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat.

Impeachment required just 60 votes. The final result was 114-1.

Legislators accused the second-term Democratic governor of letting down the people of Illinois by letting ego and ambition drive his decisions.

"It's our duty to clean up the mess and stop the freak show that's become Illinois government," said Rep. Jack D. Franks, a Democrat.

Blagojevich was out jogging in his Chicago neighborhood when the vote came down. His office declined to comment, but said he would issue a statement Friday afternoon.

During the House's 90-minute debate on impeachment, no one spoke up to defend the governor. But Rep. Milton Patterson, a Chicago Democrat, made the sole vote against impeaching Blagojevich.

Patterson said he read the impeachment committee's report and wasn't comfortable voting against the governor. "I have no firsthand knowledge of any of the evidence," he said.

"I went by my own gut feeling, it's as simple as that," he said. "I read the report. If the government is going to indict him, let them go ahead and do that. That's their job and I'm doing my job."

Rep. Elga Jefferies, another Chicago Democrat, voted "present."

Blagojevich was arrested Dec. 9 on federal charges that include allegations he schemed to profit from his power to name Obama's replacement in the Senate. The criminal complaint included an FBI agent's sworn affidavit describing wiretaps that caught Blagojevich allegedly talking about what he could get for the seat, how to pressure people into making campaign contributions and more.

That arrest triggered impeachment hearings by a special House committee.

The committee on Thursday unanimously recommended impeachment based on the criminal charges but other allegations as well — that Blagojevich expanded a health care program without proper authority, that he circumvented hiring laws to give jobs to political allies, that he spent millions of dollars on foreign flu vaccine that he knew wasn't needed and couldn't be brought into the country.

"The citizens of this state must have confidence that their governor will faithfully serve the people and put their interests before his own," the committee's report said. "It is with profound regret that the committee finds that our current governor has not done so."

Blagojevich has denied the criminal charges. He criticized the House impeachment process as biased and said a Senate trial would produce a different result.

But he didn't testify before the House impeachment committee and hasn't offered an explanation for the federal charges.

"His silence in this great matter is deafening," said House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie, a Chicago Democrat.

make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Re: Illinois House impeaches Gov. Rod Blagojevich
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:37:26 PM »
"His silence in this great matter is deafening,"

Does not Blago have a press conference this afternoon???

I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:47:31 PM »
"Impeachment required just 60 votes. The final result was 114-1."

Oh snap.

Wasn't he talking last week or so about how his allies in the House would prevent his impeachment?

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:48:46 PM »
They might need to beat him down to drag him out of the office. He's insane.

I hope someone gets video!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:45:46 PM »

Um, he rarely goes to his "Office" which is in the Thompson building in Chicago.  He hardly ever goes to his office in Springfield (the Capitol) nor does he live in the Governor's Mansion.

They could probably just wall him off his "office" in Chicago and ignore him......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:49:57 PM »
Um, he rarely goes to his "Office" which is in the Thompson building in Chicago.  He hardly ever goes to his office in Springfield (the Capitol) nor does he live in the Governor's Mansion.

They could probably just wall him off his "office" in Chicago and ignore him......

"For the ****ing love of ****ing God, you ****-face, Montressor!"

"Yes, for the love of God!"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:33:55 PM »

Watch his press conference........

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 12:38:42 AM »
"For the ****ing love of ****ing God, you ****-face, Montressor!"

"Yes, for the love of God!"

If only we could do this to a few politicians.
Look, tiny text!

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:11:34 AM »
They could probably just wall him off his "office" in Chicago and ignore him.....

Wouldn't be neat if we do the same thing to the corrupt Chicago man taking office on the 20th? Introducing the sealed Oval Office for 2009.

Stuck in or out, we don't care. It keeps damage at a minimum.

Yeah, I said what lots of others wanted to.