Author Topic: Obama: Stimulus plan could create, save up to 4 million jobs  (Read 2067 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Obama: Stimulus plan could create, save up to 4 million jobs
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »
By Paul Steinhauser
CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Barack Obama now says his plan to pump up the ailing economy could create or save 3 million to 4 million jobs, more than the 2.6 million jobs the government says were lost last year.

In his weekly radio and YouTube address, the president-elect gave details on a report released by his transition team. The report details the types of jobs that would be created or saved by Obama’s stimulus proposals, officially known as the “American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan.”

“The report confirms that our plan will likely save or create 3 to 4 million jobs. Ninety percent of these jobs will be created in the private sector — the remaining 10 percent are mainly public sector jobs we save, like the teachers, police officers, firefighters and others who provide vital services in our communities,” Obama said.

Something about this just really chaps my behind.  Due to govenment neglect, the economy goes in the tank, and now we have a "new" government official promising to undo what was done and give us our jobs back?  Huh! :mad:

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Obama: Stimulus plan could create, save up to 4 million jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
Barack Obama now says his plan to pump up the ailing economy could create or save 3 million to 4 million jobs, more than the 2.6 million jobs the government says were lost last year.

That part there irks me.

The idea that a candidate can set such an amorphous goal as "saving jobs."  It cannot be measured.  Furthermore, "saving" a job just means that it's there next year.  There are, what, about 150 million working stiffs in America?  If there are 150 million next year, then Obama saved 150 million jobs, right?

He's lowered the bar for himself with his wording, but made himself out to sound like a great economic savior.

Also:  3-4 million jobs only reflects about 1-1.5% of the American population, even if these were created jobs rather than just saved ones.  Typical population growth rate for our country (births + immigration) runs around 3-4%.  Hence, joblessness increases with such low goals.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:57:26 PM »
The only job that individual cares about is his own.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Myself

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 11:53:28 PM »
With 3-4 million new Jobs created does that equate to 4 Billion or so Apple II's and Macintosh's?

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 04:31:44 PM »
If the New Deal extended the Great Depression from about 2 years up until wartime production brought jobs, what will the New New Deal extend this one to? Two entire decades?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »
If the New Deal extended the Great Depression from about 2 years up until wartime production brought jobs, what will the New New Deal extend this one to? Two entire decades?

Hey, on the plus side, those of us who DO keep our jobs will be fairly well off as the standard of living keeps dropping around us...

I mean, it's probably only going to be 25% unemployment. I've got a better than 3 in 4 chance I'll still be working.

Those aren't bad odds.

Oh, the country?

Um... well.... let's say it's not a 1 in 4 chance it will be doing well....
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »
Ummm . . . if government creates jobs through spending . . . what about the private sector jobs that won't exist, because the investment capital which pays for them has been taken by the .gov as taxes?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »
Hey, on the plus side, those of us who DO keep our jobs will be fairly well off as the standard of living keeps dropping around us...

I mean, it's probably only going to be 25% unemployment. I've got a better than 3 in 4 chance I'll still be working.

Those aren't bad odds.

Oh, the country?

Um... well.... let's say it's not a 1 in 4 chance it will be doing well....

Riding shotgun might not be a figure of speech, if it got that bad.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »
Ummm . . . if government creates jobs through spending . . . what about the private sector jobs that won't exist, because the investment capital which pays for them has been taken by the .gov as taxes?

Hush! You aren't supposed to look beyond the immediate effects!

Stop thinking like an economist and get back in line!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought