Author Topic: Treasury Sec. Nominee Caught In Fraud?  (Read 2102 times)

ELSORDO

Treasury Sec. Nominee Caught In Fraud?
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:48:32 PM »
Having had the experience of working abroad, I'm well acquaineted with "tax gross ups."  There is no way this was an "honest" mistaje.

Geithner Accepted IMF Reimbursement for Taxes He Didn’t Pay
The problem with the treasury secretary-designate’s tax records.

By Byron York

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=YzJjOGQyODY2ZjhhMWY4Y2U3YmVkMjhlMWQ2MWZiNTA=

Although it has been dismissed by some observers as a “hiccup” in an otherwise smooth confirmation process, treasury secretary-designate Timothy Geithner’s failure to pay self-employment taxes during the years he worked at the International Monetary Fund is causing some Republicans on Capitol Hill to ask serious questions about his actions. First among those questions is why he accepted payment from the IMF as restitution for taxes that he had not, in fact, paid.

Documents released by the Senate Finance Committee strongly suggest that Geithner knew, or should have known, what he was doing when he did not pay self-employment taxes in 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004. After his failure to pay was discovered, first by the IRS and later during the vetting process, Geithner paid the federal government a total of $42,702 in taxes and interest.

The IMF did not withhold state and federal income taxes or self-employment taxes — Social Security and Medicare — from its employees’ paychecks. But the IMF took great care to explain to those employees, in detail and frequently, what their tax responsibilities were. First, each employee was given the IMF Employee Tax Manual. Then, employees were given quarterly wage statements for the specific purpose of calculating taxes. Then, they were given year-end wage statements. And then, each IMF employee was required to file what was known as an Annual Tax Allowance Request. Geithner received all those documents.

The tax allowance has turned out to be a key part of the Geithner situation. This is how it worked. IMF employees were expected to pay their taxes out of their own money. But the IMF then gave them an extra allowance, known as a “gross-up,” to cover those tax payments. This was done in the Annual Tax Allowance Request, in which the employee filled out some basic information — marital status, dependent children, etc. — and the IMF then estimated the amount of taxes the employee would owe and gave the employee a corresponding allowance.

At the end of the tax allowance form were the words, “I hereby certify that all the information contained herein is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and that I will pay the taxes for which I have received tax allowance payments from the Fund.” Geithner signed the form. He accepted the allowance payment. He didn’t pay the tax. For several years in a row.

According to an analysis released by the Senate Finance Committee, Geithner “wrote contemporaneous checks to the IRS and the State of Maryland for estimated [income] tax payments” that jibed exactly with his IMF statements. But he didn’t write checks for the self-employment tax allowance. Then, according to the committee analysis, “he filled out, signed and submitted an annual tax allowance request worksheet with the IMF that states, ‘I wish to apply for tax allowance of U.S. Federal and State income taxes and the difference between the “self-employed” and “employed” obligation of the U.S. Social Security tax which I will pay on my Fund income.”

In a conversation today with sources on Capitol Hill who are familiar with the situation, I asked, “Was Geithner made whole for tax payments that he didn’t make?”

“Yes,” one source answered. “He was getting the money. He was being paid a tax allowance to pay him for tax payments that he should have made but had not.”

Geithner paid his 2003 and 2004 obligations after an IRS audit. He paid his 2001 and 2002 obligations after he was nominated to be treasury secretary. The Obama transition team argues that Geithner simply slipped up, saying Tuesday that Gieithner “mistakenly had not paid self-employment taxes” for the years in question. In a closed-door meeting with Senate Finance Committee members on Tuesday, Geithner explained his failure to pay the self-employment taxes as an oversight. In the days before his confirmation hearing, senators are going to want to know more about how that happened.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 07:58:32 PM by ELSORDO »
My Mantra:Front Sight, Front Sight, Front Sight

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Treasury Sec. Nominee Caught In Fraud?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
...causing some Republicans on Capitol Hill to ask serious questions about his actions.

Big talkers. Little doers.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:51:16 PM »
Geithner is one of the lord high executioners.  He proved that when he beheaded Lehman Brothers at the request of...well, never mind.  You don't stop him with accusations befitting ordinary men.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 11:54:41 PM »
Next you'll be telling us that Hillary Clinton shouldn't be Secretary of State because she has too many questionable ties through her hubby?

Honestly, man, didn't you get the memo?  Hillary exonerated herself.  The 'Bama has exonerated himself.  All is well, relax, turn up the tv.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 04:31:30 AM »
So this new Administration is linked to THREE corruption scandals and the guy hasn't been INAUGURATED yet?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 06:52:59 AM »
So this new Administration is linked to THREE corruption scandals and the guy hasn't been INAUGURATED yet?
And the band played on.....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 07:08:48 AM »
Hillary exonerated herself.  The 'Bama has exonerated himself.

Well, yeah, longeyes, but you left out the part about being exonerated by the "news" media.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 09:06:13 AM »
Micro, he's a Democrat . . . FROM CHICAGO.

Obama's life is nothing but scandal. =D
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »
Democrats will see no problem with this.

Remember, their mantras are:

"Do as I say, not as I do."

and

"This cause is very important to me, so I want to use every penny of your money to pay for it."

and

"When I say I want this to be how things are, I mean it's how it should be for everyone else."

How many liberal elites send their kids to public schools? Yet they deny vouchers to let the masses use private schools.
How many liberal elites have gun permits for NYC?
How many liberal elites would rather donate their own money, instead of demanding that everyone else give up theirs for their cause?