Author Topic: What? This simply isn't possible. It's Trump's fault, obviously...  (Read 1528 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/11/californias-new-employment-law-is-starting-to-crush-freelancers.html

California recently passed laws determining who is a freelancer and who has to be considered a full-time employee (and eligible for benefits, minimum pay, etc.).

Unsurprisingly, it's having a nasty, and growing, impact on the entire gig market, with companies drastically reducing the amount of freelance assignments they're giving and some freelancers just getting hammered income wise. And, it's still being interpreted by the legislature and the courts, so the fallout isn't nearly over.

Of course, there's one solution that's being pushed...

"Professional Independent Consultants of America, which opposes the law, has advised its members to form an LLC or S Corp, get a business license, create a business infrastructure that includes elements such as a separate business bank account, create a website and a business email address at a domain only used for business, advertise, use written contracts and submit invoices for all work, not time sheets, according to Liz Steblay, co-founder. “Effectively, this law means that to be paid as a business, a freelancer or solo professional is going to have to be set up like a business and act like a business,” Steblay said in an email."

But wait! California, from what I understand, has massive amounts of red tape that people trying to do that have to climb through. And, it's supposedly expensive as hell.

Then there's this...

"“I don’t believe legislators realized the impact this had,” says Gene Zaino,"

That made me laugh, because in the run up to the law being passed various groups were predicting a lot of this, including companies out of state who hire California-based freelancers basically excluding Californians from consideration. And yet, the uberleft legislature couldn't wait to pass this, because government knows best, apparently. And other hard blue states like New Jersey, New York, etc., are considering similar laws.

Why do I care?

I've done a lot of freelancing over the years, including projects homed in California, Massachusetts, and New York. While I'm not doing nearly as much freelancing anymore, I understand the impact that it's going to have.

And, unfortunately, now that Virginia has swung back to complete left control and is moving more "progressive" by the minute, I see this in my state's future because there's a growing hue and cry among the morons about protecting worker's rights.

But, I have to wonder, are you really protecting a worker if he can no longer get work because your desire to protect him... *expletive deleted*ed him over in so many other ways?

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: What? This simply isn't possible. It's Trump's fault, obviously...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 08:24:28 PM »
If the former gig workers can't get gigs, then they can't earn a living and have to go on public assistance.  Probably the intention of the law making critters in the first place.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 08:30:09 PM »
My understanding is that this negatively affects truckers as well, and I think I read some truckers group was suing the state.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 09:03:50 PM »
If the former gig workers can't get gigs, then they can't earn a living and have to go on public assistance.  Probably the intention of the law making critters in the first place.
It also means they might move somewhere else. 

We need to build a Wall!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 09:05:39 PM »
Be interesting to see it make it to Federal courts. As much as the interstate commerce clause has been abused this is a pretty clear case. I know freelancers in Virginia who have already lost opportunity over this.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 04:19:37 AM »
Does it apply to Hollywood actors, too?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 06:30:38 AM »

[Malcom Reynolds voice] Huh... [/MRV] Good point. 
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 07:47:26 AM »

The answer to that is... no one knows. That's discussed in the article some, and apparently it has movie execs nervous.

Decades ago actors (and directors) WERE employees (and exclusively contracted to) a studio. It was called the studio system. Actors tended to hate it because it cut them out of big movies that other studios were doing, unless there was a loan agreement worked out.

The studio system was under attack as early as the 1920s because of anti-trust laws, but it wasn't until the television started to really hit its stride post WW II that the fight really picked up. Actors wanted to be able to appear on TV, and the studios were pretty much saying no.

The studio system was finally killed in 1948 by the US Supreme Court on anti-trust grounds. It was a lot more complicated than just the actors being under contract, it also involved studios owning theaters and some other issues as well, but the ruling effectively broke the studio system and made actors independents who were contracted on a per film basis.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 05:54:21 AM »
Freelance writers, columnists, piano bar musicians, street buskers?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:16:50 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 09:47:33 AM »
Not surprising that Vox supported it.

What I'd like to know, though, is how many of the California freelancers who are now no lancers supported the legislators who voted for this?

I'm betting more than a few.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2019, 09:48:55 AM »
Not surprising that Vox supported it.

What I'd like to know, though, is how many of the California freelancers who are now no lancers supported the legislators who voted for this?

I'm betting more than a few.
And will they now realize their error or just make the assumption it is someone else's fault? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2019, 09:50:20 AM »
In other news................
https://babylonbee.com/news/california-considering-tax-on-breathing
California Considering Tax On Breathing
The government has reportedly developed special breathing meters to help implement the bill, should it pass. Californians will be forced to purchase the meters from the state and wear them at all times to ensure accurate measurement of the amount of air they're using.

At publishing time, California had unveiled a tax on taxes, charging residents a luxury tax for the privilege of being taxed.

Babylon Bee tweeted a link to the Snopes entry labeling this article as "Satire".  "Curses - foiled again!"

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 09:51:51 AM »
And will they now realize their error or just make the assumption it is someone else's fault? 

Has it ever not been the latter?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2019, 09:55:59 AM »
From the CNBC article on this...

"Contractors who wish to continue contributing can do so but “need to understand they will not be paid for future contributions,” he (the chief at Vox) said."

Hey, keep your stuff coming in! We'd love to have it! Work for free!

Jesus that's hysterical!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »

Yes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design