Author Topic: Is it too late to get a home loan I can't ever afford?  (Read 12808 times)

The Annoyed Man

Re: Is it too late to get a home loan I can't ever afford?
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 02:37:53 AM »
As for other banks?  That's a tough one.  You have to decide what the purpose of the Federal Reserve should be.

Are we allowed do discuss whether or not the Federal Reserve should exist? Too radical, I suppose.

Let me put it more gently: Do you want to solve your problems? Or simply tweak the status quo?

Our government doesn't have the money to bail out Fanny/Freddy (much less implement all of the frivolous changes thrown into the bill). But the taxpayers do! (At least, Washington thinks so). I really don't need another grand slapped onto my per capita share of the national debt. Washington is clueless.

HTG, when it comes time to file my taxes next year, I hope you won't mind picking up that extra grand that I don't have. I'm going to be living within my means, and I won't have the resources to support those who never learned how to do that.

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Is it too late to get a home loan I can't ever afford?
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 03:39:08 AM »
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Should Be Cut Down and Cut Loose
by Alan Reynolds
Alan Reynolds is a senior fellow with the Cato Institute and the author of Income and Wealth.
Added to cato.org on July 22, 2008
This article appeared in U.S. News & World Report on July 21, 2008.

Why should Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac enjoy special tax and regulatory privileges unavailable to other publicly traded corporations?

Why should U.S. taxpayers be required to lend them money, or pick up the tab if they can't pay their bills?

The answer of course is that Fannie and Freddie should get no such privileges and taxpayers should not have to protect them.
Fannie and Freddie are specially privileged "government-sponsored enterprises." They're exempt from state and local taxes. And their required "core capital" (mainly stock) is merely 2.5 percent of assets, compared with a 6 to 8 percent norm for banks. As a result, their $5.3 trillion of debt is piled precariously atop a thin cushion of only $81 billion in core capital. It's risky business. But who bears the risk?
Fannie and Freddie pay an artificially low interest rate on their bonds because everyone assumes that, if it came to it, the U.S. Treasury would bail them out. The artificially fat spread between interest rates earned on mortgages and interest rates paid on bonds amounts to a big subsidy. That thwarts competition. It also undermines market discipline, because creditors have little incentive to monitor the firms' borrowing and investments.

Another unique privilege has been a $2.5 billion line of credit with the U.S. Treasury. Not enough? Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson recently proposed offering Fannie and Freddie unlimited access to the U.S. Treasury for 18 months. He invoked the old "confidence" game, claiming a blank check on the U.S. Treasury "is the best means of increasing market confidence" in Fannie and Freddie. The idea also proved to be an excellent means of decreasing confidence in U.S. Treasury bonds and the dollar, both of which lost value on the news.

Contrary to a common misimpression, Fannie and Freddie provide no mortgages. They just buy bundles of mortgages from lenders and swap them for mortgage-backed securities. They also invest in private mortgage-backed securities, paying for them by getting deeper in debt.

What they own or guarantee amounts to 42 percent of all mortgages, but we know from recent experience that, if Freddie and Fannie bought less, other institutions and investors (including pension funds) would simply get a bigger share. Fannie and Freddie were involved in scandalous accounting fraud in 2003, manipulating earnings to boost their executives' pay. The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight reacted by raising their capital requirement, greatly limiting their capacity to grow. Yet that certainly didn't make mortgages scarce from 2004 to 2006.

The greater the failure of government regulation, the greater the political urge to give regulators more power and money. But regulators have no magical power to anticipate unforeseen problems, and no incentive to put sound economics ahead of short-term politics.
Secretary Paulson dreams of "a new world-class regulator" for the troubled enterprises. Their current regulator, the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight is apparently too old at age 16 and not "world class." But regulation of Fannie and Freddie has always been heavily politicized, and there is no reason to expect that to change under a new entity. While Congress controls the oversight office's annual budget, Fannie and Freddie are famously generous with campaign contributions, giving them critical sway over their regulator's regulators.

In a properly critical survey of the economic evidence about Fannie and Freddie, W. Scott Frame of the Atlanta Fed and Lawrence J. White of New York University concluded the best solution would be to end both the special privileges of Fannie and Freddie and the accompanying legal restrictions on the diversity of their investments. Among second-best solutions, they suggested the opposite of Treasury Secretary Paulson's proposalnamely that top officials should explicitly state the government will not guarantee Fannie's and Freddie's debts. They also suggested the opposite of congressional legislationthat the maximum sizes of mortgages the enterprises buy should be frozen rather than increased in order to focus support on less affluent homebuyers.

They are correct, but such good economic advice is too often trumped by politics. A new regulator is unlikely to be any better than the old regulator because the whole notion of a government-sponsored business is thoroughly politicized and inherently corrupt.

Fannie and Freddie may be "too big to fail," but that means they are also too big for taxpayer bailouts.
Potentially massive loans from the Treasury and Fed are no solution to their already excessive debtthe l
ast thing they need is more. These two politically privileged companies pose a "systemic risk" to the economy precisely because they became much too big in the past two decades. Any serious solution must begin by requiring Fannie and Freddie to do what other troubled firms are routinely required to dosell assets, raise capital, and reduce debt.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac need to be downsized and de-leveraged, relieved of special privileges and loan guarantees, and broken into small pieces agile enough to sink or swim on their own, without taxpayer suppor
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner