Author Topic: What are your thoughts on Glass Steagal?  (Read 670 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
What are your thoughts on Glass Steagal?
« on: June 30, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »
I see that law and its repeal mentioned a lot, but have not delved deeply into exactly what it did and whether it was a good or bad thing.

So what does APS think of G-S?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: What are your thoughts on Glass Steagal?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:44:43 PM »
It separated commercial banking from investment banking. It made the U.S. Banking system more like the European Banking system. (Our banks are not yet European banks which provide all financial services, but they do have closer relationships with investing firms than was permitted before Graham-Leach-Bliley)

Honestly, I have a much larger problem with the Riegle-Neal Interstate Bank and Branching Efficiency Act.

The interstate branching that is allowed created the mega-national banks we have now. However, that isn't really my problem. (I like having the same bank everywhere I go... at least in the South)

My problem is the requirement that every bank that wants to open a new branch must have a review under the Community Reinvestment Act.

We'd have been FAR better off with the more, smaller banks and no CRA teeth than we are with massive banks under the thumb of regulators.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: What are your thoughts on Glass Steagal?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
We'd have been FAR better off with the more, smaller banks and no CRA teeth than we are with massive banks under the thumb of regulators.

Big banks and regulators disagree.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton