Author Topic: What a coincidence  (Read 1719 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
What a coincidence
« on: April 14, 2016, 02:59:17 PM »
Being the recipient of a flood of e-mails from Republican party apparatchiks, I decided I wanted to contact Reince Priebus (sp?) directly to explain to him why I am unhappy with the party's attitude and apparent platform. So I went to the web site for the Republican National Committee. They do have a web site. They do offer a way to send them money. Do they offer any way to send them comments? Heck, no. No e-mail for Reince. No general e-mail address. No "Contact Us" button. Nothing.

Today I read another article about how Paul Ryan isn't interested in being President. I wanted to contact Mr. Ryan. His standard House web site won't accept comments from people outside of his congressional district. That's unusual in my experience, but perhaps valid. He has a separate web site and Contact Me" link as the Speaker, so I went there. And ...

The "Contact Me" site just happens to not be working.

So the evidence suggests (to me, anyway) that the Republican Party, which claims to be so interested in reclaiming its position as representing the American people, isn't really interested at all in hearing anything the American people might have to say. Sure the Rs want to represent what the People think -- and they'll tell us what to think so they can represent us more effectively.

My conviction to hold my nose and vote for any R against Hillary is disappearing faster by the day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
Re: What a coincidence
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 03:42:44 PM »
I'd pass along your comments, but I'm not in his district either.

I work with 3 guys who do live in his district- we talked a bit about his primary challenger at lunch today, all 3 are voting for the challenger, not Ryan.

http://www.gazettextra.com/20160412/challenger_hopes_to_oust_rep_paul_ryan_in_primary
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 04:56:17 PM »
Looking at who the Republicans have run for President over the last 50 years, it does appear many in the leadership see the small govt conservative viewpoint as a dodge to get votes.  It will take a strong President and Congressional leaders who don't drink the kool aid to change that.  I don't know if that is going to happen.  It just shows we have to support the candidates we tend to agree with, NOT the party in general. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 05:13:29 PM »
You have to admit it would be a lot easier on them if you'd just start thinking what they represent.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 05:18:46 PM »
Come on, they know what is best for us and we will like it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 09:33:55 PM »
Kind of a mirror of the primary process.  It looks as if the guy who gets the most votes is not the one the party leaders want.  I don't care for Trump either, but if you don't nominate the guy with the most votes, to me it looks like you are just trying for the illusion voter support.  Of course the other side is doing the same thing.  Maybe we'll get a viable third party out of this election.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 09:59:39 PM »
I fired up my e-mail a few minutes ago and found another message from Reince Priebus, another message from Ted Cruz, and a message from a Kasich operative telling me that Kasich is the only R candidate who can beat Hillary Clinton.

What I finally realized is that over the past several weeks I have been under a barrage of e-mails from the Republican National Committee, Reince Priebus himself (staffers e-mailing over his name and using an e-mail with his name), Ted Cruz operatives, Ted Cruz himself (staffers e-mailing over his name and using an e-mail with his name), John Kasich operatives, John Kasich himself (staffers e-mailing over his name and using an e-mail with his name) -- but NOTHING from either the Trump campaign or from The Donald himself.

Which suggests that the RNC (which is the only possible organization that would have my name -- which they have only because my late father was active in local and state Republican politics and we have the same name) has apparently shared my contact information with the Cruz and Kasich organizations but not with the Trump organization.

More skulduggery on the part of the RNC.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »
Kind of a mirror of the primary process.  It looks as if the guy who gets the most votes is not the one the party leaders want.  I don't care for Trump either, but if you don't nominate the guy with the most votes, to me it looks like you are just trying for the illusion voter support.  Of course the other side is doing the same thing.  Maybe we'll get a viable third party out of this election.
Popular vote doesn't directly elect the President either.  What most don't pay attention to is that only most of the delegates are apportioned based on the popular vote in most primaries.  From what I can see, Cruz knew that and planned for it.  If he gets enough votes to deny Trump a majority, why should Trump be selected by fiat?  I would agree in part that delegates mean a candidate has support nationally.  I think either Trump or Cruz should get the nod.  Kasich has a few delegates, but outside Ohio doesn't do much.

Also, the delegates are not all a bunch of fat cat party wonks.  Many are just local precinct and county people who went to their precinct convention and then to the county convention.  In Texas, anyone can go to those who voted in the Repub primary.  It isn't restricted.  From what I am hearing most delegates come from the local county level not the state level.  These aren't all rich party members.  And most have made up their mind who they will support once the initial ballots are done and they can vote as they wish.  Also, from what I hear, the delegates for candidates that dropped out can vote however they wish.  Lots of wild cards out there.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 10:43:23 PM »
It is shaping up to be the most interesting Republican Convention in my lifetime. 

griz

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 08:37:13 AM »
Popular vote doesn't directly elect the President either.  What most don't pay attention to is that only most of the delegates are apportioned based on the popular vote in most primaries.  From what I can see, Cruz knew that and planned for it.  If he gets enough votes to deny Trump a majority, why should Trump be selected by fiat?...

That's right, and I'm not saying the systems, primary or electoral college, are unfair.  Plus Cruz has shown the system is manageable for a candidate paying attention.  I'm just pointing out the perception that if a party openly works against the candidate with the most votes, the voters will rightly feel like that party is not representing them.  Again I am not a trump fan, but you have to admit a lot of his support is people fed up with that insider only attitude.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 09:34:15 AM »
Trump is showing his true colors.  He knew the rules going in and now that they are working against him, he wants them to be changed.  Typical liberal think.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 09:39:42 AM »
Yea! Without those great rules we wouldn't have had such great Republican candidates over these last several decades!  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 12:29:19 PM »

All this has done is expose the average Amercian's ignorance of the political party nomination process.  The GOP hasn't had a popular election style nomination for decades, perhaps longer.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 01:52:06 PM »
The Republican Party today is nothing like the Republican part of the 1980s, which is when I became politically aware. It makes me weep, actually, to see a "Republican" party that is, in truth, almost indistinguishable from the bulk of the Democratic party.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.