Author Topic: What / when was the first gun licensing law in the USA?  (Read 1775 times)

Pb

• friend
What / when was the first gun licensing law in the USA?
« on: June 12, 2020, 11:18:51 AM »
What / when was the first gun licensing law in the USA?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: What / when was the first gun licensing law in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »
NFA '34.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 01:33:30 PM »
NFA '34 isn't a licensing law, it's a tax act.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 01:54:05 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, it's New York's Sullivan Act of 1911:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
Though not actually a licensing law, back in 1837, Georgia banned handguns except for flintlock "horse pistols" unless they were carried openly. And in 1865, various states enacted "black codes" to disarm newly emancipated former slaves.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 02:26:50 PM »
And in 1865, various states enacted "black codes" to disarm newly emancipated former slaves.

I highly doubt that such laws were passed in 1865 when the South was still under Federal jurisdiction called "Reconstruction." Once the North was no longer administering the South, those laws got passed. (Some time after 1877, would be my guess).

(Checked my own work. Wow. I guess Mississippi was first in 1865. I was ignorant of that period. The codes WERE reversed by congress in 1867-1868, but they were passed prior.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »
NFA '34 isn't a licensing law, it's a tax act.

You say potato, I say infringement.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 08:11:43 PM »

I agree.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »
December 15th, 1791.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 10:07:26 PM »

I quite agree. I will not tolerate any state banning or infringing my right to potato chips.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 06:37:32 AM »
From Fly320s:

Quote from: Hawkmoon on June 12, 2020, 11:33:30 AM

"NFA '34 isn't a licensing law, it's a tax act."

Well said, sir !  I laughed, I cried.

$200 tax back then is about equivalent to $2500 (+/-) today at only 3% inflation a year for 86 years.  If that ain't intended as a proscriptive (infringing) tax, I don't know what is.

Think about paying $2500 for a tax stamp nowadays for your legal suppressor.

Terry

($2,541.16 if you're being persnickety about it. =D )
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:21:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 07:46:23 AM »
I ran $200 through an inflation calc

$200 (1934) =  $3,826.78 (2020)

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Or $3,936

https://smartasset.com/investing/inflation-calculator#AoS1mTQzWW
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 09:08:14 AM »
From Fly320s:

Well said, sir !  I laughed, I cried.

$200 tax back then is about equivalent to $2500 (+/-) today at only 3% inflation a year for 86 years.  If that ain't intended as a proscriptive (infringing) tax, I don't know what is.

Think about paying $2500 for a tax stamp nowadays for your legal suppressor.

Terry

($2,541.16 if you're being persnickety about it. =D )
However, back then a new car was about $500. You don't get a new Ford for ~$7K these days.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 09:17:30 AM »
However, back then a new car was about $500. You don't get a new Ford for ~$7K these days.

True, but there are other factors at play in that other than just inflation. Way more govt required safety standards/equipment and gadgets/stuff/crap on cars nowadays.
Even with the govt require stuff if we stripped a modern car down to it's bare essentials, closer to the way most 1934 era cars were sold, bet we could get it a lot closer in price.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, it's New York's Sullivan Act of 1911:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act

I think there was at least one prior to that in Florida, applied to handguns and Winchester rifles... aimed at the black population.  I can't find the law though.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »
It looks like several responses brought up gun laws in general. The OP asked about gun "licensing" laws.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2020, 02:39:53 PM »
Note:  I usually use 3% as an inflation rate over long periods just to be conservative, realizing full well that it is usually higher than that.

So,

(1.0386) X 200 = 2,541.16, without going online over it.

I suppose you could quibble about the "3" if you want and come up with a higher present value, but that only reinforces my argument, so thank you.  Some would argue that the real current inflation rate is closer to 8% or so.

I think Wiki uses about 3.5%.

Just for grins, WLJ's $3,826.78 present value results from using 3.49 % inflation, call it 3 1/2%.

His $3,936 present value results from using 3.525 % inflation.  Call it 3 1/2% plus a red pubic hair.

Hawkmoon, I suspect that the 1934 gun grabbers jumped for joy when someone came up with the concept that they could get away with restricting firearms usage by creating high taxes for various things.  But "licensing" or not, it still served their purpose in restricting firearms.

I for one do not understand why a 17.999 inch shotgun barrel is so much more dangerous (and taxable) than an 18.001 inch barrel.  So the tax is a dishonest way of "licensing" firearms in the form of a $200 tax stamp "license."  You don't have that license, and you have a 17.999 inch barrel shotgun, you go to jail.

I submit therefore that the $200 tax stamp is in fact a "license."  And of course, since inflation has devalued that number --hell, $200 nowadays is just a fairly good night out on the town --they figured out that, as an example,  they better just cut off the registration list for machine guns. This essentially banned new transfers of them.

As they say, if they can ban one, they can ban them all.  All they have to do is fabricate a new legal concept to circumvent the highest law of the land.

Terry, 230RN

Edited for housekeeping.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 05:16:07 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 09:46:12 AM »
I agree tax stamps are in effect licenses since they have the right to deny you the tax stamp for whatever reason in effect making it a May Issue license vs a Shall Issue one. Add to that they can revoke it for whatever reason. Well we decided people shouldn't have those. Bump stocks anyone? They have you on file and they know where it is.
Also add the fact your "license" is only for your state of residence and that you have to get written permission from them to take it out of state. Almost as if they don't consider it your property but theirs.

This is part of the reason that I went with Bullpups instead of messing around with all this SBR business, keeps the govt out of my business as much as possible. That and the fact that with a BP I maintain a full length barrel without the extra muzzle blast and loss in velocity
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 04:55:35 PM »
December 15th, 1791.

I see what you did there.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife