Author Topic: Better beat-around 4x4: '85 S10 Blazer or '88 Jeep Wagoneer  (Read 871 times)

Snowdog

• friend
Better beat-around 4x4: '85 S10 Blazer or '88 Jeep Wagoneer
« on: March 30, 2007, 02:30:31 AM »
I'm absolutely torn, please help me decide!
Keep the Wagoneer or sell the wagon and buy a buddy's Blazer?

I have a rarely driven '88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer marooned in the driveway that might need an alternator, or maybe just the belts to the alt pulley tightened. I parked it months ago knowing this but never got around to it since I never needed to drive it.
I have a buddy who's looking to get rid of an '85 Chevy Blazer given to him by his father (a retired automotive shop owner/mechanic).  This friend previously sold me an '88 Dodge Shadow hatchback in near mint condition for $300, that I used nearly exclusively when gas hit $4 a gallon.
I still use the shadow every so often, especially when gas prices creep up (it typically gets around 30 MPG).

I'd love to keep the Wagoneer and buy the Blazer, but my wife would seriously object and possible hurt me since the Shadow currently hogs the garage with the Wagoneer, Chevy Lumina and my wife's Camry in the driveway. 

This 4X4 Grand Wagoneer has the type A towing package, a carbureted (4bbl Edelbrock) AMC 360 5.9L engine and 3 speed automatic transmission. 
On a good day, this near 3 ton rhino only gets around 12 MPG.  Though it has all the power-everything and optional features typical of the Grand Wagoneers, water appears to have somehow entered the Jeep in the past 3 or so months and the interior is now a bit creepy.
The body is rust free and mechanically the Jeep is solid, but the most aggravating item is the tailgate.  The motorized window won't retract because the previous owner backed into a tail hitch, slightly denting the door.  The "slight dent" has been removed, but it appears something in the door has been sprung as it still doesn't want to move more than 3/4", preventing the gate from opening.

I’m familiar with the Jeep.  It's relatively high maintenance and not particularly reliable by today's standards. I don't know why I keep coming back to them after toiling over my '82 Wagoneer and '86 Grand Wagoneer when I owned them.  Fortunately, they're also easy to work on with most parts easily accessible (with exception for one cursed spark plug tucked beside the heater core housing).  They're lumbering and heavy, but surprisingly agile for the size and weight with an astounding turning radius.  It also has the look I like; that strange classy look unique to Wagoneers.   My wife also loves the looks (if she only realized the upkeep). Ultimately, aesthetics and luxury probably mean little as I don't particularly want to baby the 4x4 I choose . 

I’m not familiar with the Blazer.  The info I've gleaned so far indicates they're typically reliable and easy to repair if needed.  This Blazer is built on the S-10 frame and is quite a bit lighter, I'm sure.  Though I suspect it has a carbureted engine as well, it's probably going to be closer to a 2.5L in size...  gas mileage might be superior.  It's also an automatic, though I don't know if it has overdrive.  Heck, I don't yet know if it's a 4 cylinder or V6.
The body and paint is in great shape and the interior is decent, albeit utiltarian.  Though I have yet to drive it, my buddy claims it's in great mechanical shape and the four-wheel-drive engages and works fine. 
Being that it belonged to his father, I'm sure it's been well treated since drove it new off the lot in '85.  I've put over 20,000 miles on his old tiny Shadow without anything other than fuel, oil and filters. At 160K, it still runs strong.

As mentioned, interior of the Blazer is Spartan compared to the Jeep; manual everything except locks and hard plastics compared to the Wagon's plush interior. However, I'm certain the smooth plastics would be easier to maintain and clean with little worry about fudging up the interior with mud and grime. 

The engine is much smaller, but the power-to-weight ratio is probably better.  There's no tow hitch on this Blazer, but I don't currently have a boat or trailer and probably won't tow anything for a while. Oh yeah, the Blazer’s tailgate works (whoo hoo).  Seriously, I feel that’s an important feature for an SUV.
My buddy has offered to give me first shot at the Blazer for $500 before he lists it in the paper. 

My wife has expressed interest in a pontoon boat for future outings and likes the Jeeps lines, but I don’t fully trust the Jeep and don’t want to pass up the Blazer for the price.

Heck, which would you choose if in my position and why?  

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Better beat-around 4x4: '85 S10 Blazer or '88 Jeep Wagoneer
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:41:23 AM »
Go ahead and buy the Blazer for $500 and keep the Jeep.  You can always decide to sell one of the two at a later date once you decide which is best for your "needs."  Any vehicle that runs at $500 is too good to pass up in this day and age.  The Blazer is a decent enough but if your wife is wanting a boat, there could be issues trying to pull one the size of a large pontoon.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Better beat-around 4x4: '85 S10 Blazer or '88 Jeep Wagoneer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:09:22 AM »
If the Blazer is in good condition, for $500, it is the way I would go just for an alternate vehicle to haul stuff back from Home Depot & such.  Heck, you might get 1/2 that from some guy who would haul of your Wagineer off for parts, making it ~$250 to switch from a 5000lb paper weight to a running automobile.  I know which one I would choose.

Neither is likely to be good for hauling a boat.  Yeah, some folks do haul boats with compact pickups & SUVs, but I will not be one of them.  A tow vehicle, like a footbal lineman, needs some mass.  Just because the engine, tranny, & frame is good for some tow weight, does not make it a good idea.  Especially with an item like a pontoon boat.  Them suckers look like the wind would toss them around a whole lot.  One heavy T-storm or wind-storm and you might find the ride a whole lot more exciting than you figured on.

For a towing something the size & mass of a pontoon boat, I am thinking 1/2 ton pickup or full-sized SUV.  If/when you buy the pontoon boat, sell the S-10 Blazer and find such a vehicle.  Get it in 4x4 if that is your druthers.

Just my $0.02.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton