Author Topic: Oregon Non Resident CCW  (Read 3859 times)

mgdavis

• friend
Oregon Non Resident CCW
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
Via Random Nuclear Strikes:

Oregon Sheriff Palmer wants to issue you an OR state CCW Permit in CA!

Oregon Sheriff Palmer wants to issue you a non-resident CCW permit in Oregon, and he is going to come to CA to do it.  He needs your help, and CGN has stepped up in partnership with GUNPAL to make it happen. Palmer needs $12,000 to purchase a Portable LiveScan machine so he can show up at local CA gunshows and take your applications.   The law requires that this be done in person.

I have spoken with Palmer and he is one of the most pro-RKBA men I have ever met in law enforcement or indeed anywhere.

Please dig deep, and contribute whatever you can.  Donations to this project are NOT tax-deductible, will be routed through the County’s books, and any money in excess of the cost of the machine will be used on travel expenses.

Please donate via GUNPAL

Checks can be sent to:

Glenn County Sheriff’s Department

205 South Humbolt Street

Canyon City, Or. 97820

with a note for “fingerprint machine”

-Ben Cannon

Director, Calguns, Inc.

I know there were at least one or two members here interested in getting their Oregon permit. This is the first specific mention of a gun-friendly Oregon Sheriff that I have found.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: Oregon Non Resident CCW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »
Actually, we have a quite few "gun friendly", just no others friendly enough to put it on the line like Sheriff Palmer. One can hope they will be led by his example.
Hi.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:42:48 PM »
Huh.  I wonder if he will make it to Washington.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »
Huh.  I wonder if he will make it to Washington.

I was thinking that a road trip might be in order. I'd load up the bike and go camp or stay at a cheap motel if I could get a class date and everything in order.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
We should have a West Coast APS convergence in Canyon City.  :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:23:45 PM »
http://www.softgreenglow.com/wp/?p=9071

OREGON CCW PERMITS FOR WASHINGTON RESIDENTS

Sheriff Glenn Palmer of Grant County Oregon is planning to be at the Washington Arms Collectors’ show at the Puyallup fairgrounds on March 27 and possibly March 28 to take applications for Oregon carry permits.  See handgunlaw.us for the requirements  and the application form and contact Sheriff Palmer at gepalmer400@centurytel.net for particulars.  For another report of Sheriff Palmer see palegreenfire.com and search Oregon ccw.  As always, verify before you travel.

I think I'll be there. Sorry about the late notice, but Phil just posted it today.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:05:19 PM »
And, as another follow-up I just remembered that Oregon has a training requirement, one that I think includes live-fire. I had be planning on using my WA Hunter Safety card for the training cert, but now I don't think that it'll work for me. Crud.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
According to the application, you need to have documentation of having attended various firearms safety or training classes as llisted on the application.  Shoot, the last time I took such a course was 20+ years ago, and I sure don't have any documentation.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 11:34:39 PM »
There's no live fire requirement for OR. The class is about 4 or 5 hours and is just a basic handgun safety class.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 07:13:37 PM »
I applied, they said it was fine to send in the training documentation later- they would just hold my ap. Nice folks.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »
I ended up not going down this weekend. I'll catch them another day or mail the package in. Finding a Sheriff that will issue was the hard half of the process, so I'm not in a rush right at this moment.

I don't think I kept any proof that I went to that Utah class. I'm kicking myself for that now. :facepalm:

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »
So I wonder if I should keep an eye out for a NRA class or the like.  Just to have some documentation of training, should I ever need it.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 08:23:24 PM »
If you're interested, our range does fairly regular courses. You can find the calender on gunsafety.org. I'm sure there are classes on your side as well.

Edit: I went and checked. The next Personal Protection Level 1 is on April 10th. $75 for non-members.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 11:56:20 PM »
Here is a thread on a local trader board about the Maryland on-line training being sufficient for the Oregon CHL. I will just drive down there later this year, but this may help someone who will be at a gun show where the sheriff appears.

As always, you may want to verify this information for yourself.

http://www.spokaneguntrader.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1768

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »
If anyone has a confirmation on that online training, could you post? I am seriously looking at taking a road trip to either one of the CA gun shows the Sheriff is talking about doing, or just taking a trip to his office and fishing along the way.

I took an NRA course many, many moons ago, but good luck on me finding evidence of it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 08:57:18 PM »
I was told the www.mdgunsafety.com  test was ok to fullfill the OR requirement- heads up with the small print on the privacy statement though, they share the info with the MSP and apparently anyone else who wants it.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 02:13:04 PM »
Thanks tokugawa!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »
I'll be honest, when I first read that message up there it struck me as a phishing attempt. I'm glad to see a Sheriff from my home state promoting  CCW though.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 11:52:52 PM »
Just to make sure I'm clear, Oregon non-res is only good for contiguous states, correct?

So just WA, ID, NV and CA? 

What we need is for someone to decide that sea borders on the Pacific count as well so Alaska and Hawaii become eligible.  A lot of flights to and from here go through Portland.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 12:36:51 AM »
Just to make sure I'm clear, Oregon non-res is only good for contiguous states, correct?

So just WA, ID, NV and CA? 

What we need is for someone to decide that sea borders on the Pacific count as well so Alaska and Hawaii become eligible.  A lot of flights to and from here go through Portland.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Click on Oregon and click non-resident. The blue colored states are those that reciprocate.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 05:19:07 AM »
I phrased that poorly, what I meant was: will Oregon only issue non-res permits to contiguous state's residents?

Is that correct?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 06:12:44 AM »
I phrased that poorly, what I meant was: will Oregon only issue non-res permits to contiguous state's residents?

Is that correct?

As far as I (who am not a lawyer) know, yes, they only issue to contiguous state residents.