Author Topic: Atlas Shrugged, Enemies Foreign and Domestic, or Unintended Consquences?  (Read 6901 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Which makes for better reading in the Jury Selection Room? :angel:

Got hit with Jury Duty.  So, what should be my light reading that I tote along with me?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

taurusowner

Are you trying to get booted from the jury?

I would pick Atlas Shrugged if you're really just looking to read a great book.  One of the other two if you want the lawyers to show you the door.

Sawdust

• friend
EFD gets my vote. It's lighter fare; that is, the other two books I needed to concentrate more in order to follow and comprehend and I can't do that unless I am alone in a quiet place.

Plus, the title is pretty clear to a casual observer if that is the effect you're looking for...  :angel: :laugh:

HTH,

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Depends:

Good book that will challenge, is intellectual and which can be terribly boring at times: Atlas Shrugged

Good book, fun to read, guns, action, etc: UC

OK book and you like conspiracy theories: EFAD
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
I've only read UC and Atlas, so I'd go with one of those two, but whichever you choose, bookmark it with a pamphlet on Jury Nullification.  =D
Hi.

Antibubba

• friend
If you're a masochist, Atlas Shrugged is perfect.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Got hit with Jury Duty.  So, what should be my light reading that I tote along with me?

I'd recommend Atlas Shrugged.  Or UC if you remove the cover.  Both are excellent books.

EFAD and its sequel....  I'm sorry, they're ok "light reading" if you agree with the author's political views and love conspiracy type novels, but classics they will never be.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Figure I'll try out Arizona's recent law requiring facilities that prohibit CCW to provide firearms storage lockers, too.  Maricopa County Superior Court falls under that.  I've got a few weeks to verify.

So:  Open carry .44mag, nice Colt Commander to make the security guard drool, plasticwundernine XD9 as a babystompingbullethose, or 642 in the front pocket of my dockers as a casual "even nice looking guys carry" statement?

Also:  Anyone know of some pro-freedom/pro-gun oriented polo shirts or button-down shirts I could wear?  Heritage Foundation/Cato/NRA have any nice businesswear for casual dress?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:49:24 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
UC if you remove the cover.

That's not the point.  The cover is part of UC.
--Lysander Spooner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
If you bring your copy of Unintended Consequences to the jury selection process and show it to the attorneys present, you might get a break...   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
PM me your address - I'll mail you a GUNS SAVE LIVES button (approx 3" across).  Blaze orange background with black block upper case letters, or Kelly-ish green background.

For $6 (half price) I'll include a VCDL ballcap (blue with VCDL logo). and for $28 (member price) I'll get you a black or ash gray (whichever I can get my hands on) polo shirt with the VCDL logo on the left breast.  (If I can find one with a pocket, I'll send that, otherwise you get just the embroidered logo.)  see http://www.vcdl.org/static/store.html for photos of shirts.

Anybody else that wants stuff, same price except I'm gonna have to collect $1 for a button (I have a limited stock on hand for recruiting).

I'll cover postage out of pocket - it's worth it to get the message out.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Figure I'll try out Arizona's recent law requiring facilities that prohibit CCW to provide firearms storage lockers, too.  Maricopa County Superior Court falls under that.  I've got a few weeks to verify.

So:  Open carry .44mag, nice Colt Commander to make the security guard drool, plasticwundernine XD9 as a babystompingbullethose, or 642 in the front pocket of my dockers as a casual "even nice looking guys carry" statement?

Also:  Anyone know of some pro-freedom/pro-gun oriented polo shirts or button-down shirts I could wear?  Heritage Foundation/Cato/NRA have any nice businesswear for casual dress?

Something openly carried, along with something in your pocket plus another on your ankle "just in case".

Had a nice young lady attend the last few Lobby Days at the Va General Assembly thus attired.  (GA rules permit carry in the GA building & grounds of Capitol Square if you have a Concealed Handgun Permit.  Getting in you show your CHP & breeze through the metal detectors beeping merrily, then see the nice Capitol Policeman who verifies you indeed have a current CHP.  Lots of folks like to get asked what & where is it.)  She was ever-afterwards known as 3-gun Kim.

stay safe.

skidmark.

Oh!  My vote is for UC - get to the part where Henry disposes of stuff, turn to the person sitting next to ypu, show them the passage, and ask "Can you really do that?" :angel:
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
If it's anything like what I went through, you can read whatever you want in the jury pool room.  Once you get called for Vior Dire any and all reading material must be left behind.

Bring whatever you want to read, the only people who will see it are your fellows jurors.

As far as what to wear, here are some suggestions from previous threads:
A tastefully apointed FIJA t-shirt
Barbara Adams
a hangman noose tie
the Grim Reaper

Maybe Mike can let you borrow his home-made lethal injection machine.......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

PTK

• friends
How about you go, get on the jury, and do your best to simply nullify all verdicts? It's more fun.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Anyone know of some pro-freedom/pro-gun oriented polo shirts or button-down shirts I could wear?  Heritage Foundation/Cato/NRA have any nice businesswear for casual dress?

Just no Starfleet uniform.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
How about you go, get on the jury, and do your best to simply nullify all verdicts? It's more fun.  =D

This^^
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
I'm actually re-reading AS right now. Sorry to say but so far the word drivel comes to mind.  :O 

:laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
Oops, my bad, I'm rereading "The Fountainhead", however, the word drivel still comes to mind.  :laugh:

Explain to me why a plumber has a torch on the job that is capable of cutting steel beams.  Apparently Ayn doesn't know much about torches. ;/

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
A torch capable to cutting steel beams? When we did a rehab a while back, the plumber had an oxy-acetylene rig in his truck, along with propane and mapp gas stuff... If you need a hole for something, you need the hole. And sometimes it's something big.
Blog under construction

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'

Atlas Shrugged, while wearing a Wookie suit.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
I'm actually re-reading AS right now. Sorry to say but so far the word drivel comes to mind.  :O 

:laugh:

You just don't understand.  He's just plain awesome, and no one understands it!

!!!!!

Isn't that like, the bestest mostest awesome thing in the world!?!

Ok, I'll stop, I'm giving myself a headache.  Fountainhead was drivel about a guy who was allegedly awesome and no one got it, FOR AN ENTIRE BOOK.  AS is better, especially in the concepts department.  Ah...  how to put it kindly.  Ayn was a bit much into the ubermenschen philosophy, at which I roll my eyes a bit.  And long winded.  But the concepts and most of the philosophy were really good.  I just try to think of Fountain was a false start.  Practice swing, you know?   It doesn't really count.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MicroBalrog

• friend
A whole bunch of people in the book get Roarke, actually.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Ayn's books are the kinda thing that either resonate with you, or do nothing for you.  I don't think she ever expected her writing to speak to everyone.

280plus

• friend
Fountainhead was drivel about a guy who was allegedly awesome and no one got it, FOR AN ENTIRE BOOK. 
695 PAGES of an entire book!  :laugh:

AS is even longer isn't it? I used to have a copy but it seems to have disappeared. I think I lost a box of books in a move many years ago. There's a few other titles I can't find anymore.  One totally rare and unfindable.  =(

« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:21:57 AM by 280plus »

280plus

• friend
All I know for sure is if Roark was a character in a Hardy novel he'd end up dead by the end.  :lol: