Author Topic: Holy Computer Fastness, Batman!  (Read 727 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Holy Computer Fastness, Batman!
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »
My computer ain't no slouch, but that being said... it's about 18 months old.  Still pretty decent though.

Recently it started BSoD'ing once in awhile on boot-up.  It would reboot and try again, and load just fine.  I tried updating drivers for everything under the sun, no success.  It isn't cheap corner-cutting hardware, either.  ASUS M3A-MVP motherboard, Dual Radeon video cards, both designed to support CrossfireX capability.  High quality RAM from either Crucial or Corsair... I can't remember which right now and don't want to pull the case, but I got bit with cheap RAM a few years ago and I'm picky about the stuff now.

So, this thing finally got my goat when I was playing "The Witcher."  Bad framerate, weird lockups requiring me to reboot.

I updated the BIOS on the motherboard.

Wow.

No more instability.  No more intermittent BSoD on boot.  Evidently they didn't have the CrossfireX feature working right on the BIOS version that shipped with the board.  Faster boot, faster game frame rates.  Life is good.  Like I just got a major system upgrade for free. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!