Author Topic: Does your wife buy you silly things?  (Read 12675 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Does your wife buy you silly things?
« on: April 26, 2008, 07:06:13 PM »
My wife bought me one of these at a yard sale

It's from United Cutlery's Mall Ninja line, I think.  I don't mind, except that she paid five dollars for it.   shocked  I think I'll be able to use the sheath for something.   smiley

My wife has told me before that all those knives just look alike to her.  I guess this proves it.  She likes to buy me things I'll like.  She's a sweety-pie. 

Oh, and earlier that morning, we found a Victorinox Fibrox kitchen knife for fifty cents.  Seems to be in good shape.  I'm glad I was there for that one, or we might have missed it. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Does your wife buy you silly things?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:48:42 PM »
I'm not getting any pictures..

edit- let me give it a shot-Hmmm....  Looks like they don't allow direct linking.

Click here

Looks like it might be fun...

edit2- fine, copy and past link into new tab or window.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 03:09:14 AM »
Sharpen it up and drop it into a BOB or something. 
My wife rarely buys me anything anymore....sign of the times?  laugh
I think its because I do the bills, there's little surprise in most purchases.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 03:23:30 AM »
Sometimes you can have a job that you don't want to risk a good blade with....having a junk knife or two around can be handy.....

Are those "knuckle dusters" integral with the handle or the blade? A few minutes with the cutting blade on a Dremmel could take care of that.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 04:11:17 AM »
My wife bought me one of those small keypad operated gun vaults for $5 once. I thought that was pretty cool.  grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 05:27:52 AM »
I should throw in that she found me a vise that looks pretty good, although the price wasn't that great.  I had been wanting a vise, though.   smiley

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 05:35:25 AM »
 sad
Fistful has made me feel bad because
1) I don't have a wife
2) who buys me silly things
3) which excludes me from this thread.
 sad

But I do have friends who gift me with power tools, skulls and stuffed animals every year.  grin
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 07:33:44 AM »
Cool, you can never have enough skulls...  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 07:41:52 AM »

Chop off the finger guards, and use it as a cheap utility knife.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 08:38:30 AM »
This thread depresses me because I don't have a wife who buys me anything and I'm too poor to buy most every thing I want.

I do have a mom that buys me hamburgers though! Cheesy
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 10:23:40 AM »
WHAT?  That's a GREAT knife.  I can't tell you how many times I've had to punch and slice at the same time, only to have my knuckles bruised.

Also, it'd be nice to keep snipers from shooting your knife out of your hand before you can get to them.

It's pretty clear that you guys haven't lived on the streets in a while, or maybe are just plain sissies...?

cool

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »
sad
Fistful has made me feel bad because
1) I don't have a wife
2) who buys me silly things
3) which excludes me from this thread.
 sad

But I do have friends who gift me with power tools, skulls and stuffed animals every year.  grin

If you were a wife, you'd probably avoid the cheesy mall ninja stuff.  I kinda wish my wife knew better.  But then, her naivete is kinda cute.  smiley  I also had to teach her to shoot.  She's pretty good at that. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 10:26:30 AM »
WHAT?  That's a GREAT knife.  I can't tell you how many times I've had to punch and slice at the same time, only to have my knuckles bruised.

Also, it'd be nice to keep snipers from shooting your knife out of your hand before you can get to them.

It's pretty clear that you guys haven't lived on the streets in a while, or maybe are just plain sissies...?

To quote mbs357, that post made me feel like a woman.   laugh

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »

To quote mbs357, that post made me feel like a woman.   laugh

!!
When did I ever say that?  Please point out said post, I would like to feel that way again.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 01:09:57 PM »
At least she's thinking about you, Fistful.

My wife buys me DVD's from time to time. She didn't start doing that until recently, which I take as a good sign.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »
At least she's thinking about you, Fistful. 

Hey, no argument there.  She buys me some pretty awesome Ironic Thrift Store T-shirts, too.  A while back, she spent like a quarter on a ziploc full of old, rusty, broken pocket knives.  No gold among the dross, I'm afraid, but it was sweet of her.   smiley

Perd Hapley

• friend

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 05:35:24 PM »
I've been married to the same woman for almost 26 years and she buys me presents like she just met me yesterday.
Good example, Several years ago Christmas was coming on and we were in very flush times. I had a bug on about a Sharp's 1874 replica  in .45-70, (had been going on for months) talked about it frequently and even went out and bought a copy of "Quigley Down Under". A local shop even had one come in that was an acceptable model/variant and I had even managed to drag her in and looked at it with her standing there with me, magazines left open, web pages printed off. comments made...I think "blunt" might have been an apt description.

Well, about a week before the big day a long heavy box shows up under the tree, it was long enough and heavy enough and the Sharp's had vanished from the gun store!! WooHoo I thought!

Christmas day came at last. and I got a very nice astronomical telescope, Its a nice one and I occasionally dust it off and go out and look at the moon. Seems she had fixated on me commenting about a telescope maybe being fun to have  about a week before she bought it....

I still don't have a Sharps sad
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

taurusowner

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
Im not a big fan of getting gifts for people who are an "expert" in something, and having that gift be related to that feild.  Because chances are, you don't really know what is good or not, and they do.  You end up wasting money on something they won't use.  Like if I had a relative who is an amazing cook or a chef, I would not buy them any cooking stuff or appliance.  Because what I think is awesome, is probably junk to them, and it's a wasted gift.  That's like someone buying one of us a CCW badge because they know we carry.  They might think it's neato, but we kow better.

SomeKid

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 07:35:03 PM »
Why would he want to dremel off the handgrips? I don't see why you can't use it as a regular knife. Is the blade crappy metal?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »
Um, it's United Cutlery so I'm guessing the steel is none too spiffy.  But that would only be strike one.  I don't know what you mean by "use it as a regular knife," but I assume you're talking about opening boxes, cutting cord, dressing animals and so on.  I have a number of drop-point knives and other, less ninjarific, blades that will do that sort of thing much better, and without the little finger-loops getting in the way.  Add to that it has serrations, which I don't like either. 

And besides, even if I were going to stash it somewhere as an emergency back-up weapon, I'm not sure I want that scary-looking thing as exhibit A in my homicide trial.  In fact, that knife is so far from my idea of what a knife should be, that I don't want it around at all. 

If you think you can use it though, PM me with your address, and I'll let you give it a good home. 

Hey, guys, thanks for the suggestions about cutting off the knuckle dealies.  It's a metal handle, though, and I don't really want to go to all that trouble.  Hopefully SomeKid will enjoy using it.  As a regular knife.   smiley

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 08:20:13 PM »
Fistful, things could be worse. A few years ago, my 90 year-old parents bought me a Harley Davidson clock for Christmas. It was about 12" wide, had photos of different Harley's at every hour mark, had a huge honkin' Harley Davidson logo on the face, was illuminated and, worst of all, it made a roaring sound at the top of every hour.

It went into my wife's rummage sale the following spring.

SomeKid

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 10:43:33 PM »
Hopefully SomeKid will enjoy using it.  As a regular knife.   smiley

Seriously, I don't see whats wrong with it, unless it can't keep an edge. I had a knife similar to that I used, I liked the finger holes because it made it absurdly easy to grip (I like easy to grip and maintain).

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 02:56:18 AM »
Knuckle duster knives are a bit of a sticky wicket:

Sentry Plain Blade Knuckle Guard Knife

Special knuckle guard design for extra hand protection. Each knife includes a black nylon sheath, fully adjustable nylon shoulder harness, belt loop, boot clip, and quick release blade insert, reversible for left or right hand positions.
UC0784 plain blade in grey finish.

Overall Length: 9-1/2" Blade Length: 5" Blade Thickness: 5/32" Blade Material: 420 J2 stainless steel. Handle Material: Cast metal, black non-glare finish, push tang.

Note: We can only ship this item to the billing address of the paying credit card, ie, dual address orders are not allowed.
We cannot ship knuckle products to MA,MI,NY,DC,IL,RI or CA.

http://www.defensedevices.com/sentry-knuckle-knife-uc-0784.html
http://www.armorysupply.com/merchant.ihtml?&lastcid=111&pid=40625&Step=4
http://www.knifesearch.com/php/knifesearch.php?action=1&srchword=united+cutlery
Tanto Sentry       No:   UC784BT
Sentry by United cutlery. Blade is made of 420 J2 stainless steel. Black coated, serrared, chisel ground (flat on one side) and the point dropped slightly for general puppose use. Handle is made of cast alloy metal and has special knuckle guard design for extra hand protection. Handle has black non-glare finish and push tang. Each knife includes a black nylon sheath with quick blade insert, which is reversible for left or right hand positions. Also comes with fully adjustable, multi-position, nylon harness, belt loop, boot clip. 9 1/2 in. overall length, 5 1/4 in. Gift boxed. Lifetime warranty.     [ 6 in stock ]
Price:   $22.95

they can be quite dear:
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=98086373
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93721103
What if your wife had bought you a 400 dollar Ibberson for 5 dollars?
Wink

and there is a book on the genre:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0973792418

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"