Author Topic: Does your wife buy you silly things?  (Read 12674 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Does your wife buy you silly things?
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 03:07:55 AM »
Yup, I tell the entire family do NOT buy me tools.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 09:24:06 AM »
Yup, I tell the entire family do NOT buy me tools.

Ditto! Except for my Dad and I get some his old tools when they get replaced them at work. My Dad is an electrican and I have a nice collection of Klein Tools.

My wife brings me crap home from garage sales, usually crap I don't want or it is crap. She did score on a 3/4 box full of clay pigeons for .50 but this is like one in 20 chance she comes how with something I can use or want.

I still think garage sale is a psychological disorder.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »
I still think garage sale is a psychological disorder. 

Are you saying my wife is mental?  I didn't know you two were acquainted.   cheesy  She likes to spend a few hours on garage saling every Saturday.  But still, she has nothing on the women who get together in a minivan and hit the street at 5.30 am.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 12:17:20 PM »
Seriously, I don't see whats wrong with it, unless it can't keep an edge. I had a knife similar to that I used, I liked the finger holes because it made it absurdly easy to grip (I like easy to grip and maintain).

Dude, I said you could have it for the asking.  I'll even ship it to you.  I like knives like this.

If a knife isn't more or less like this,

I probably won't have much interest in it. 

BTW, I think Mr. King patterns that knife after one that I ordered from him a few years ago.  But mine is prettier.   laugh

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 03:18:30 PM »
Are you saying my wife is mental?
She married you, didn't she?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 03:28:57 PM »
Looks like my WW1 M1918 trench knife replica, actually. 

Larry, my wife wouldn't buy me a Sharps, either.

So I bought my own.  Cheesy

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 03:33:48 PM »
Are you saying my wife is mental?
She married you, didn't she?

Oh, the girl definitely be mental.  Our house is so weird.  Between the humans and the animals, it's like a pre-school gone terribly wrong.  But with no actual adults.  The cat tends to be the most mature.  But we mostly ignore him.  Tongue

SomeKid

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Gewehr, I had thought the same thing, and I too have a replica 1918 trench knife.

OK Fistful, thanks for the knife. Let me know what the shipping is and I will pay you back for that. PM sent.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 04:11:29 PM »
I have a long weekend coming up, so I should be able to swing by the Post Office and get that out to you.  My wife also got me this one at a yard sale, a while back.  You want that one, too?

crt360

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 07:40:49 PM »
fistful, is that not the scapegoat on the boot scabbard?
For entertainment purposes only.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
Well, I'll be!  It's me!   cheesy

Actually the specimen in front of me has something more like a deer on it.  Same knife, though.  They're little shivs, about 3 inches of blade and of Pakistani manufacture.  Mine's not quite as shiny.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 07:54:59 PM »
About those honest-to-mo-goodness trench knives.  Seen pictures before.  Anyone know how they've fared in the field?  More specifically, as weapons? 

I'd have preferred the afore-pictured Loveless type of knife, along with one of these,

or one of these.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 08:18:31 PM »
Sharpen it up and drop it into a BOB or something. 

Dude, if I want a scary black knife for my bug-out bag, it'll be the SRK.   smiley  The blade is too long and thick for fistful's Rigorous Standards of Knife Excellence, but I just couldn't live without one.  I think it's because it was the first well-made "tactical knife" I ever held in my hand.  Or maybe it's just that that Kraton handle is so perfect.  I've also got the stainless Master Hunter, though.  Even better. 

I've got a couple of good, cheap knives, too.  In that vein, I can't find my old CRKT fixed-blade drop point, though.  I hope I didn't sell it.   sad   I don't think they make that kind no more. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »
Fistful, things could be worse. A few years ago, my 90 year-old parents bought me a Harley Davidson clock for Christmas. It was about 12" wide, had photos of different Harley's at every hour mark, had a huge honkin' Harley Davidson logo on the face, was illuminated and, worst of all, it made a roaring sound at the top of every hour.

It went into my wife's rummage sale the following spring. 

Got you beat by a long mile.  A poor, dear woman at church gave us a little clock, mounted on a silver-framed picture of the crucifixion.  You know how some crucifixes are gorier and more dramatic than others?  This one was.  Then you plug it in, and the blinking lights come on, circling the Passion of Our Lord.  That thing was so tacky, I wanted to keep it forever, just to treasure its abominable camp.  But the wife sold it or threw it out, or something, without my knowledge.  I'll get her, one day.   cheesy

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »
Fistful, things could be worse. A few years ago, my 90 year-old parents bought me a Harley Davidson clock for Christmas. It was about 12" wide, had photos of different Harley's at every hour mark, had a huge honkin' Harley Davidson logo on the face, was illuminated and, worst of all, it made a roaring sound at the top of every hour.

It went into my wife's rummage sale the following spring. 

Got you beat by a long mile.  A poor, dear woman at church gave us a little clock, mounted on a silver-framed picture of the crucifixion.  You know how some crucifixes are gorier and more dramatic than others?  This one was.  Then you plug it in, and the blinking lights come on, circling the Passion of Our Lord.  That thing was so tacky, I wanted to keep it forever, just to treasure its abominable camp.  But the wife sold it or threw it out, or something, without my knowledge.  I'll get her, one day.   cheesy

I wonder if a person could make millions selling neon Jesuses

Uranus is a gas giant.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 12:08:17 PM »
That is a stabbing knife, not a cutter.  However, I know some guys that would probably cut themselves within 30 seconds of you handing it to them.  I need to get one for my BOB bag...................cool knife......chris3

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 12:40:32 PM »
Which the black, knuckley one?  Somekid gets that one.  I'll let you know if we find another.   smiley

You want the little, shiney, daggery one? 

SomeKid

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2008, 07:41:17 PM »
As I type, I have the black knife in my hand, and now sitting next to me. It is a nice knife. I am debating whether to toss it into the truck or not.

The little dagger will be nice for opening boxes. Its new home is now at my PC stand.

Thanks FF.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2008, 07:50:40 PM »
The thing is, speaking of wives and gifts, would you be annoyed if your wife bought you a 1911--and then borrowed it a couple times a month to go shooting?

Thinking on a graduation gift for the husband.  Not that we can afford it just now, but in the fall, so a belated graduation gift (he finishes in August).  Just an STI Spartan or maybe a Rock Island. 

Dunno if it's obnoxious to get him a gift that we're both lusting after...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
Not that I'm paranoid or anything, but there are Sharp Things or Boomsticks pretty much within arm's reach all over the place here...

"So, Mr. Bogie, why did you stab poor Joe Intruder with an AK-47 bayonet?"

"I couldn't get to the really long Mauser one, and the Cold Steel spear was all the way on the other side of the room."

Blog under construction

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »
The thing is, speaking of wives and gifts, would you be annoyed if your wife bought you a 1911--and then borrowed it a couple times a month to go shooting?

Thinking on a graduation gift for the husband.  Not that we can afford it just now, but in the fall, so a belated graduation gift (he finishes in August).  Just an STI Spartan or maybe a Rock Island. 

Dunno if it's obnoxious to get him a gift that we're both lusting after...

Hell no.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2008, 12:57:52 AM »
My wife bought ME a RRA 1911 but she won't shoot it. I love her anyways...  grin

Talk about silly gifts though. Anyone remember the "bird" clock? Kind of like the Harley one but bird calls on the top of the hour. I was watching the tube with an old GF, not the sharpest knife in the drawer but cute so it didn't matter. Anyhoo on comes the ad for the bird clock and I quite sarcastically say, "Ooo yea! That's what I want for Christmas." So along come Christmas... You know the rest. I had to live with them friggin birds chirping every hour until I discovered there were two sets of batteries, one for the clock and one for the birds. Them bird batteries always seemed to be dead once I figured that out. Still have the clock, my wife relegated it to the basement. Now all the batteries are dead.  grin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 01:05:18 AM »
You mean your wife actually let you keep it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 04:33:47 AM »
My wife bought ME a RRA 1911 but she won't shoot it. I love her anyways...  grin

Talk about silly gifts though. Anyone remember the "bird" clock? Kind of like the Harley one but bird calls on the top of the hour. I was watching the tube with an old GF, not the sharpest knife in the drawer but cute so it didn't matter. Anyhoo on comes the ad for the bird clock and I quite sarcastically say, "Ooo yea! That's what I want for Christmas." So along come Christmas... You know the rest. I had to live with them friggin birds chirping every hour until I discovered there were two sets of batteries, one for the clock and one for the birds. Them bird batteries always seemed to be dead once I figured that out. Still have the clock, my wife relegated it to the basement. Now all the batteries are dead.  grin

I have a Ruger 10/22 that an old GF gave me for Christmas 11 or so years ago. I made the mistake of telling my wife where the rifle came from, she refuses to shoot it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 04:36:48 AM »
You mean your wife actually let you keep it.
I'm not sure she's aware of the whole story...  cheesy