Author Topic: Uncontacted tribe spotted in Brazil  (Read 12689 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Uncontacted tribe spotted in Brazil
« on: May 30, 2008, 07:18:43 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7426794.stm
Isolated tribe spotted in Brazil

One of South America's few remaining uncontacted indigenous tribes has been spotted and photographed on the border between Brazil and Peru.

The Brazilian government says it took the images to prove the tribe exists and help protect its land.

The pictures, taken from an aeroplane, show red-painted tribe members brandishing bows and arrows.

More than half the world's 100 uncontacted tribes live in Brazil or Peru, Survival International says.

Stephen Corry, the director of the group - which supports tribal people around the world - said such tribes would "soon be made extinct" if their land was not protected.

'Monumental crime'

Survival International says that although this particular group is increasing in number, others in the area are at risk from illegal logging.

The photos were taken during several flights over one of the most remote parts of the Amazon rainforest in Brazil's Acre region.

They show tribe members outside thatched huts, surrounded by the dense jungle, pointing bows and arrows up at the camera.

"We did the overflight to show their houses, to show they are there, to show they exist," the group quoted Jose Carlos dos Reis Meirelles Junior, an official in the Brazilian government's Indian affairs department, as saying.

"This is very important because there are some who doubt their existence."

He described the threats to such tribes and their land as "a monumental crime against the natural world" and "further testimony to the complete irrationality with which we, the 'civilised' ones, treat the world".

Disease is also a risk, as members of tribal groups that have been contacted in the past have died of illnesses that they have no defence against, ranging from chicken pox to the common cold.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Uncontacted tribe spotted in Brazil
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 07:28:13 AM »
Sweet, one step closer to Armageddon.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:45:39 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »
it would appear they have now seen a helicopter

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:13:57 AM »
Hm. Wonder if I can sell them some glass beads? laugh grin

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:40:19 AM »
Interesting. Now leave them the hell alone. They've survived this long on their own. The gov should tell the damn tree cutters to knock it off and leave them folks some forest so they can hunt and survive.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 08:47:14 AM »
But we must bring civilization to these naked savages!

If we don't, they will continue to be naked savages and won't be able to benefit from the miracles of credit cards, cell phones, and reruns of Friends!

If they refuse to be civilized, we must slaughter them to save them.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:16:51 AM »
Yea, exactly. 

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:17:58 AM »

If we don't, they will continue to be naked savages and won't be able to benefit from the miracles of credit cards, cell phones, and reruns of Friends!

Don't forget glass beads. Can't civilize people without having them buying glass beads first. THEN we can civilize them, and let them into such fantastic things as property taxes, census forms and democracy!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 09:53:06 AM »
No, I believe the correct procedure is whiskey and then smallpox...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:55:42 AM »
You left out the Syphilis.

Chris

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:58:43 AM »

And refrigeration, more than subsistance level agriculture, vaccinations etc etc. If you were really so enamored of a Dark Ages lifestyle you'd be living in the jungles eating grubs too.

Colonial powers treatment of native peoples has often been exploitive..... doesn't mean a stone age lifestyle is better.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »
We mustn't forget to confiscate those weapons.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:29:49 AM »
Too bad they didn't shoot down the chopper with their arrows  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 10:32:04 AM »
No, I believe the correct procedure is whiskey and then smallpox...

Smallpox blankets are outdated. The new version is poison FEMA trailers.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 10:45:12 AM »
To be serious for a minute, how cool is it that these people having been living in this area for God knows how long, and despite all of our great technological advances, we just now discovered their very existence.  I find it simply amazing to be reminded just how little we do know in this day and age when people think that we know it all.  imagine what's left here to discover, much less out there beyond the Moon.  Too cool.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 10:50:50 AM »
To be serious for a minute, how cool is it that these people having been living in this area for God knows how long, and despite all of our great technological advances, we just now discovered their very existence.  I find it simply amazing to be reminded just how little we do know in this day and age when people think that we know it all.  imagine what's left here to discover, much less out there beyond the Moon.  Too cool.

Bottom of the ocean, too. Lots of biologists were stunned when they discovered chemosynthesis around the deep ocean vents.

I'm also astonished at some of the possible planets they're finding around other stars. One they found appears to be of a composition where there's clouds of metal vapor, and it rains molten iron. That would be incredible to see. They better name that one Hephaestos.

And now they think Alpha Centauri could quite possibly have an earthsized world in the same general orbit as earth...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 10:50:56 AM »
New Guinea and Australia are both supposed to have unexplored areas where uncontacted tribes may still exist. Strange to think that here in 2008,,,

First they'll need a big iron pot to cook missionaries and explorers in. I vote fistful brings it to them. Along with whiskey and glass beads of course. It's going to be his fault anyways...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 11:14:09 AM »
New Guinea and Australia are both supposed to have unexplored areas where uncontacted tribes may still exist. Strange to think that here in 2008,,,

First they'll need a big iron pot to cook missionaries and explorers in. I vote fistful brings it to them. Along with whiskey and glass beads of course. It's going to be his fault anyways...
Though I think his wife might be a tad bit upset if he brings them syphilis, atleast if he does it the old school-way laugh.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 11:15:49 AM »

Bottom of the ocean, too. Lots of biologists were stunned when they discovered chemosynthesis around the deep ocean vents.

I'm also astonished at some of the possible planets they're finding around other stars. One they found appears to be of a composition where there's clouds of metal vapor, and it rains molten iron. That would be incredible to see. They better name that one Hephaestos.

And now they think Alpha Centauri could quite possibly have an earthsized world in the same general orbit as earth...
If it's habitable and not occupied by any higher forms of life, we (us on APS that is) should move in to colonize it ASAP. There we can set up a new place, and do it right this time smiley.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 11:19:30 AM »
If it's habitable and not occupied by any higher forms of life, we (us on APS that is) should move in to colonize it ASAP. There we can set up a new place, and do it right this time smiley.

A world without pirates to hunt?  I dunno...

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 11:51:42 AM »

A world without pirates to hunt?  I dunno...
I'm sure we'll have unwelcome visitors fairly soon, which means we can shoot them out of the air. Think of it as skeet, only with AA-guns Wink.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 11:54:38 AM »
I vote an airdrop of RPGs and AKs to keep civilization at bay. Might be a steep and slippery learning curve though.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:52 PM »
I did notice several faces looking up at the plane as it flew by. Wonder how that's going to affect them?
Look, tiny text!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »
I'm guessing they've seen aircraft before.  And that they have contact with other, "contacted" tribes.  Or am I wrong? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife