Author Topic: New TV Show: Revolution  (Read 12584 times)

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
New TV Show: Revolution
« on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »

I have a soft spot for post-apocalyptic cinema.  "Cinema" here includes "made-for-TV" and is represented by such favorites as Mad Max, Waterworld, The Postman, I Am Legend, Earth Abides (please make the movie), The Stand, Hunger Games, and so on.

I will pretty much engage on at least the first few episodes of anything that fits the genre, like Jeremiah, Jericho, Falling Skies, and stuff like that.

And now also Revolution

We watched the premier last night.  About fifteen minutes in, I found myself hollering at the TV.  The inconsistencies and failed plausibilities are just epic.

Slate has their own complaint, of course.

My own list of gripes didn't even include the hair. 

Bad science.  The wave front for an EMP -- or anything that produces that same effect -- does not travel at sub-sonic speeds, even if the "electric dominoes" effect does look cool.  The cars lined up on the highway would not "blink out" one at a time.  Planes falling out of the sky would a) not fall with their freaking lights still flashing (I mean, REALLY?), b) not fall straight down while vaguely spinning like an auto-rotating 'copter.  Cell phones would not "flicker" out of service.

Clothing.  It's been fifteen frigging years with no electric power, and people are still wearing synthetic fabrics that look like they've just come off the rack?

Weapons.  Okay, yeah, swords, bows and arrows, black powder muskets, stuff like that.  But a mini-crossbow for close engagement?  The lead bad guy carries a Desert Eagle?  You couldn't give him something with dirt-common ammunition?  Had to pick something that shoots a round that -- after fifteen frigging years -- is going to be hen's-teeth-scarce?  Why not something in a 1911?  Hell, a Beretta even?

Character character.  Yes, the "character" of the characters.  It's been fifteen frigging years of off-grid living, and your two adult children still behave like emo-kids?

Plausibility lapses.  It's been fifteen frigging years, and somehow the dude the with magic digital talisman has never formulated a fall-back plan, has never briefed his kids on the importance of preserving this thing, hands it over to a used-to-be Google geek without any kind of orientation (although the gratuitous geekness will surely figure in this narrative later), and can't manage to keep his adult son (see emo-kids above) from losing it and precipitating the (plot-enabling) catastrophe that launches the odyssey.

And the "teaser" scene at the end (lifted from Jericho) pretty much guarantees that they will spend much narrative coin "explaining" the global failure of electricity ("physics just went nuts"), and how electric power is really still there but is "suppressed" by some mad-scientist "field" which is abridged somehow by the "magic digital talisman" (alternatively, the talisman "emits" electricity, which would be even worse).  And, of course, the "event" (evidently human caused) which killed electricity will also have to "expositioned" in dialog later on, providing lots of filler for plot padding.

The show has potential, and there's plenty of room for the writers to repair things, but lately I get the sense that "writers" are just phoning it in.  My wife and I identified at least three other shows from which they ripped off plot-enabling devices, and we see very little that's actually new.

That said, we're probably gonna watch the next couple of episodes anyway.

Because it's better than whatever's on the news.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: New TV Show: Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »
I agree with your sentiment. It's problematic, but still entertaining enough

I also object to the immediate evil associations they made with the word "militia"
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
AG summed my feelings up nicely.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:00:12 PM »
Falling Skies.
The Walking Dead.
I get my post-apocolyptic fix there. 
Saw the trailers on Revolution and was thinking  :facepalm:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:05:48 PM »
I saw the preveiws and wanted to watch, but our anttena crapped out a month or so ago, and we've yet to replace it, so no tv. I, too, was annoyed by the implication that "militia" = evil

Similar vein, but diffrent, and I don't know if it made a second season, but the fox show Terra Nova was pretty well thought out. One reason I prefer straight scfi, is a lot of the "science" can be readily explained by the fact that it's not based on current scientific knowledge, they can fudge it more to make it work because it's all in the misty future. The only huge annoying fault is, regardless of their future "science" projectile weapons are going to work better on dinosours then the crappy pulse/sonic/whatever dohikys they're using.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
I saw the preveiws and wanted to watch, but our anttena crapped out a month or so ago, and we've yet to replace it, so no tv. I, too, was annoyed by the implication that "militia" = evil

Similar vein, but diffrent, and I don't know if it made a second season, but the fox show Terra Nova was pretty well thought out. One reason I prefer straight scfi, is a lot of the "science" can be readily explained by the fact that it's not based on current scientific knowledge, they can fudge it more to make it work because it's all in the misty future. The only huge annoying fault is, regardless of their future "science" projectile weapons are going to work better on dinosours then the crappy pulse/sonic/whatever dohikys they're using.

Haven't watched Revolution yet.  Will do so tonight probably.

Terra Nova was gawdawful, IMO.  It had a good premise, but it suffered the same failure as Jurassic Park, Earth 2, and other shows that bring a type of Disney-fied cataclysm but no "grit" because they're trying to hit the "family" demographic.  Most of the time they remain too kid-friendly and position kids in too prominent of a role in the series.

I was despairing that Falling Skies was going to suffer the same fate, with the stinking youngest son so prominent in the first few episodes.  Someone got some brains in the writing staff and shuffled him further into the back of the plot, where he belongs... and they piled on the grit.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:25:58 PM »
Quote from: Jamisjockey
Saw the trailers on Revolution and was thinking  :facepalm:

Same here. It just all looked so unoriginal.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »
Terra Nova was gawdawful, IMO.  It had a good premise, but it suffered the same failure as Jurassic Park, Earth 2, and other shows that bring a type of Disney-fied cataclysm but no "grit" because they're trying to hit the "family" demographic.  Most of the time they remain too kid-friendly and position kids in too prominent of a role in the series.

Yes, the first episode, where they have the mother and father stop to "have a moment" about their parenting skills, all while they are on a rescue mission to stop their moron son from being any second now eaten by an angry dinosaur, was pretty much it for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:32:39 PM »
So, I take it you guys didn't stick around long enough to get familar with the Sixers?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:35:29 PM »
So, I take it you guys didn't stick around long enough to get familar with the Sixers?

I watched it all the way to its crash-n-burn season series finale.

Too much with teenagers, in the sixers plotline.  Still no grit.  Looks like the color saturation was done in a Disney Channel studio.  Eye candy for 8 year olds.  No blood.  No fear, no terror.  No blowing up gigantic carnivorous animals large enough to eat the entire village for an appetizer... nope.  Sonic weapon bullscat instead.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

I still get a chuckle when the 2nd Jurassic Park movie comes around and the Big Game Hunter realizes "someone" has removed the shells from his double rifle.  Apparently, he carries no extra ammo and never checks his rifle even though he goes out of his way to leave it lying around near the GreenPeace idiot.  (that show has been on a lot lately).  

I recorded Revolution, but haven't watched it yet.  I was thinking it was a take off of that series of books that were out a while back, but maybe not.  I heard there were no guns because the "militia" outlawed them or something, as if they actually could.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
Watched it last night.

Wish I had that one hour back.

Planes have airspeed, glide ratios, and backup control cables. They don't flat spin once the noise stops.

EMP zorches electronics, especially semiconductors.  The intereference does not linger for long. One EMP pulse or several simultaneous pulses does not equate to 15 years of darkness.

Steam power drove the Industrial Revolution.  Coal fired it. 

Stationary steam engines and water wheels drove manufacturing plants through overhead belts, shafts, and pulleys.

Mobile steam engines were known as locomotives, steam tractors, and ships.  Commerce did quite well using those systems.

Black powder cartridge firearms reigned from about 1874 to the onset of smokeless powder, which still was a steam-era development.

Muzzleloaders and crossbows?  Really?  The Desert Eagle, when chambered in .357 Magnum (like mine) and .44 Magnum, is not that big a logistics problem or even "rare" for stashed ammo.

How long was that asthma inhaler good for?   :O

Awful lot of candles to light a house.  Good thing the smoke detectors don't work anymore. 

Good use for a Prius, though.   =D

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
 . . .  Plausibility lapses.  It's been fifteen frigging years, and somehow the dude the with magic digital talisman has never formulated a fall-back plan, has never briefed his kids on the importance of preserving this thing,  . . .  And the "teaser" scene at the end (lifted from Jericho)  . . .  And, of course, the "event" (evidently human caused) which killed electricity will also have to "expositioned" in dialog later on, providing lots of filler for plot padding.
And the woman at the end who just happened to have an asthma inhaler from her dead son, which was still good 15 years later. And the blow-dried hair of the characters . . . and the townspeople who didn't focus their attention on the militia general . . . and where did the Militia head get ice for his drink, in what looked like a Civil War era tent camp? And of course, Chicago hotels typically have plenty of ventilation for firepits . . .

The plot is a mashup of Jericho and Flash Forward with a little Hunger Games thrown in.

As for the gadget that turned off the juice, that is lifted right from an old Man from U.N.C.L.E. paperback book - The Dagger Affair where DAGGER fanatics have an "energy damper" that, depending on its setting, can shut down electrical fields, atomic reactions, and human beings - a development that scared THRUSH into a temporary alliance with U.N.C.L.E.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 05:05:10 PM »
I caught it Hulu a couple of weeks ago. I don't know why they had it on there before the show started on tv.

I thought it had a couple of promising things but had a lot of bad.

My wife watched it last night. She threw me out of the room for saying "That's BS" one too many times.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 05:22:05 PM »
The horton crossbow is now hacked up and useless after the girl failed to reload and used it as a sword parry shield.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »
Planes have airspeed, glide ratios, and backup control cables. They don't flat spin once the noise stops.

I guess they were going for the "falling out of the sky" thing.  ??? They managed to get just about everything wrong.

I figured Eric Kripke (of Kripke Scrap Metal and Entertainment/Supernatural) would do a little better job.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
Another thing that was unbelievable was people being knocked backwards when shot with arrows, let alone guns.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »
Another thing that was unbelievable was people being knocked backwards when shot with arrows, let alone guns.
That was explained - "Physics just went nuts"      ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
So I guess I shouldn't be too upset that I forgot it was on and missed it.

Oh well.

It's a shame it sucked though. It would be good to have a new post-apocalypse series to occupy an hour each week. I really miss Jericho.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 07:59:00 PM »
It beats watching glee
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 12:05:51 AM »
Sticking toothpicks in your eyes is better than watching Glee.

Anyway this show is another JJ Abrams pile o' crap.

Lost was just a bunch of MacGuffins wrapped up in clever reveals. The recent flop Alcatraz was another "big mystery" loser.

Now this. This is Revolting. About halfway in I really started to abjectly not care about the characters or their situation and I'll not bother to watch another episode. The one thing I did like is that owning a firearm is a hanging offense. I doubt the creators were trying to drop a "gun control aids tyrants" meme into the narrative but they did. Not that the average person will catch it though.

Hey how about just coming up with a plausible TEOTWAWKI scenario and focus the drama around people adapting, striving and overcoming (or not) their new situation.

Set it the day after whatever it was and go from there. With no big mystery, we know what happened and now we have to deal with it. That would be an interesting show provided the writing and other elements were competent.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:23 AM »
That would be an interesting show provided the writing and other elements were competent.

:rofl:  Let us know when that happens.

OK, you guys have convinced me to watch the pilot. If it's that bad, I would hate to miss it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 12:46:42 AM »
Well, I saw it last night.  I noted many of the problems ArfinGreebly did -- especially the plane cartwheeling down, lights still on.  Yet another plane was shown having apparantly landed intact.
The lights of the cars going out like dominos seemed wrong.  I understand they would not go out like that ("following" what could not be a subsonic EM pulse) but it seems to me they might possibly have gone out at different times, reflecting differences in car models and their individual electrical natures.

I am not very impressed by this show.  I tried to watch LOST when it was on and eventually lost interest and stopped watching that because I thought the islanders were just being stupid and ineffectual.
I see this going the same way.  The stuff about the hair and clothes doesn't bother me so much, really.  I mean, Ginger and Mary Ann always had nice hair and I never saw any holes appearing in Gilligan's shirts....and they didn't develop beards or five o'clock shadows.  That didn't bother me about Gilligan's Island.  I just didn't find it all that entertaining.  Just silly.
I think I'll spare myself the effort and stick to Warehouse 13 on Sy Fy.  The science on that show is even worse ....but atleast it doesn't take itself too seriously and the whackyness is a little more entertaining.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 05:02:55 AM »
Passed on it. It's on NBC, that Channel, among others, doesn't get watched in my house
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 06:09:42 AM »
Got it sitting on my DVR right now....not sure if I want to leave it there or watch it now so I can delete it.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.