Author Topic: Linux interoperability today  (Read 5793 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Linux interoperability today
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »
Been awhile since I've worked with a linux box, but I'm willing to give it another go.

Toying with getting an ASUS eee 1000 series with solid state drive.

Things I need:

VPN capability, either Cisco or Microsoft VPN client.  Preferably MS.
MSTSC/RDP connectivity
Toad for SQL work
Maybe VMWare or Xen... which would run off an external disk device if necessary.

Can anyone comment on the above and a linux distro that'll get the job done with an eee-1000 with either 1 or 2GB RAM?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Linux interoperability today
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:37:48 AM »
Probably not going to get an MS VPN client.  You might be able to use one of the open source clients if the VPN you're connecting to is standards based.

No idea about MSTSC/RDP
No clue about Toad

VMWare worked well when I used it back in 1999.  I had some users at work running Windows in VMWare on a Linux laptop in order to access MS Outlook.  I ran WinNT4 under VMWare at home on my Linux desktop at the same time.  This was 1999ish.  I'm sure it's better now, but it worked well enough then.

Chris

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 11:51:58 AM »
AZ,

Depending upon what you're planning on using the thing for, you may with to be cautious about the SSD; they're something of an overhyped technology.  Though they use lower power than physical drives do when at idle, they actually use more power during read and write cycles, so if you plan on doing anything that uses the disk a lot, an SSD can actually shorten battery life.

SSDs also degrade over time.  In your stated scenario, you should be fine, because you have to do the equivalent of writing the entire disk's contents a couple thousand times for the degradation to become dangerous, but it is there and it is a factor in drive longevity.

Also, something to be absolutely aware of and careful about with SSDs:  Don't ever yank power out from underneath them.  If they're in the middle of a write cycle when you do that, the block data and checksum will not agree, because generally the data is written and then the checksum updated.  (all of this is internal to the drive, having to do with how the drive detects blocks that have degraded over time and need to be removed from service and replaced with spare blocks; none of this has anything to do with what OS or filesystem you're using). 

Nutshell:  When the drive restarts, it checks the block data and checksums, and if they disagree, the drive assumes that the block has failed and removes it from service, placing a spare block into service in its stead (even though in this case the block is fine and the write was just interrupted before the checksum could be updated).  If there are no more spare blocks left to put into service, the drive declares itself dead well before its expected lifecycle ends.

Some higher-end SSDs have cleverness built in to mitigate this, but they're not in the consumer-grade market yet, AFAIK.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »
I have found several asus eee-1000 series locally here on craigslist for ~$300-$350, with either the 160gb conventional drive or the 40gb ssd.  I think I'll try out the SSD and save my work onto SD cards.

What's the best way to reload the Linux OS on these given that they are wi-fi, and lack optical drives?  Get an external USB DVD drive?

Can you simulate a Ubuntu live CD on an SD card, and make it bootable?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:51:50 PM »
I think you can do that Az.  I haven't tried it, but I read something about that not long ago.

Edit: Yes, it's possible.  Google "ubuntu on a flash drive" and you'll find lots of hits.

Chris

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:53:16 PM »
Easiest way is to do it with a USB thumb drive.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:52:12 PM »
Found a used one on Craigslist.  It's white rather than black and has the 160gb HDD instead of the 40gb SSD, but it has 2GB of RAM.  $320, in original box and very rarely used.

Best Buy is selling them new for $329 but w/ only 1GB RAM.

Has Windows XP Home on it now... I'll be removing that once I get it and loading up Ubuntu.  I'll be getting it Wednesday after work.
--Lysander Spooner

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:39:10 PM »

VPN capability, either Cisco or Microsoft VPN client.  Preferably MS.

Both will work, but you may have to add the software depending on the distro you use.

MSTSC/RDP connectivity

There are RDP clients compatible with MS Terminal Services.

Toad for SQL work

I've never found a real good Toad replacement, there is probably something, but I haven't found it.

Maybe VMWare or Xen... which would run off an external disk device if necessary.

I would recommend Virtual Box, but VMWare works well, as does Parallels, I wouldn't mess with Xen on a netbook.

Can anyone comment on the above and a linux distro that'll get the job done with an eee-1000 with either 1 or 2GB RAM?

Haven't used a eee-1000, so I can't comment on a specific distro for it, but you definitely want 2GB if you want to do virtualization.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »
K, I am equipped with the Ubuntu-EasyPeasy-1.0.iso file and I have a 2GB SD card.  I've found a program called FUSBi, which appears to be a gui wrapper for an ISO to flash utility called unetbootin.  Got a windows EXE version of it and it will let me "burn" the ISO file to the SD card.

When I get the netbook tomorrow, XP will get sent to the land of zero bits and I'll shove this distro onboard.
--Lysander Spooner

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »
Found a used one on Craigslist.  It's white rather than black and has the 160gb HDD instead of the 40gb SSD, but it has 2GB of RAM.  $320, in original box and very rarely used.

Best Buy is selling them new for $329 but w/ only 1GB RAM.

Has Windows XP Home on it now... I'll be removing that once I get it and loading up Ubuntu.  I'll be getting it Wednesday after work.

Are you insane?

You are going to go for used over new because you can save $9 and get an extra gig of ram?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 01:49:48 PM »
If you buy one with a Windows distro you don't want, can I buy the cd key (or product id or w/e they call it) for your XP? I have a box I need to put it on, and I don't want to buy a new one.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 01:56:59 PM »
Are you insane?

You are going to go for used over new because you can save $9 and get an extra gig of ram?

RAM is a $30 value or so... sales tax is another $25.  This one is white, so it'll show marks on the keyboard and shell if it has been traveling a lot or typed on a lot.  User says has less than 10 hours use on it.  If it boots cleanly from the SD card, I'll take it.

Balog:  My understanding is that those keys are not transferrable.  I wish I could.  You could not even use the key on the sticker without the OEM disk that matches the key series.  Retail CD's won't work.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 01:58:24 PM »
Do these machines come with the oem cd? I've been planning on getting one, and if I could get XP on it that'd be a good value.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
Do these machines come with the oem cd? I've been planning on getting one, and if I could get XP on it that'd be a good value.

I don't know... I doubt it.  Most laptops come with a recovery partition (dumb if your drive fails, but whatever) and a BIOS or boot sector option to recover the OS to factory defaults.  Obtaining a CD is usually a phone call and an additional $20 service from the manufacturer.

Since this critter doesn't even have a CD/DVD drive, I'd be really shocked if it came with any CD's.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »
Ahhhh, I forgot about the lack of a drive. <-----dumb.  ;/

I hate the blasted drm that comes on these types of things. If I pay for a copy of XP, why can't I put it on any box I want?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »
My acer came with a recovery cd. Suppose they think I have an external drive lying around.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »
When I get the netbook tomorrow, XP will get sent to the land of zero bits and I'll shove this distro onboard.

When you do, be a forum pal and let me know what you think of the Easy Peasy. That then might end up being my weekend project. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 09:51:24 PM »
I am seriously liking xubuntu 8.10 on my eeePC 900A. I have all hardware working save the microphone in the monitor border.

Loads quick.  Real linux, baybee!

So much so, that I went to Fry's and bought a 2GB SODIMM to bump RAM form 1-2GB.  I have no swap (4GB SSD), so this should help.  Note: no swap = no hibernate.

I am SO glad I did not blow $300-$500 on a 3G/computer phone.

Next stop: 16GB SD card.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 11:31:25 AM »
I am seriously liking xubuntu 8.10 on my eeePC 900A. I have all hardware working save the microphone in the monitor border.

Loads quick.  Real linux, baybee!

So much so, that I went to Fry's and bought a 2GB SODIMM to bump RAM form 1-2GB.  I have no swap (4GB SSD), so this should help.  Note: no swap = no hibernate.

I am SO glad I did not blow $300-$500 on a 3G/computer phone.

Next stop: 16GB SD card.

I've been hearing that some of these eee netbooks have a mini-PCI slot in the bottom and that some of the flashdrive vendors are making 16-64gb drives that interface with this.  Is that what you're talking about, or do you just mean a plain old SD card?
--Lysander Spooner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 11:52:58 AM »
I've been hearing that some of these eee netbooks have a mini-PCI slot in the bottom and that some of the flashdrive vendors are making 16-64gb drives that interface with this.  Is that what you're talking about, or do you just mean a plain old SD card?

Plain old SD card.

I could go the 16+GB SSD to replace the 4GB SSD, but I think I'll run with the 16GB SD card, instead.

The OS & current apps take up about 2.1-2.3GB of the 4GB SSD.  IF I begin to bump against the 4GB limit after use and installing apps as I go, I might consider a new, larger SSD.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »
BTW, I've had it with SanDisk USB drives.

They partition their drives with a separate sub-filesystem that shows up as a CDRom, packaged with some utilities.  The utils are neat, but the sub-filesystem makes the USB drive unsuitable for use as a USB boot media.  I couldn't figure out how to de-partition the thing.

I had to buy a new generic thumbdrive in order to put together my boot disk.  Grrr.  Argh.
--Lysander Spooner

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 06:44:56 PM »
You couldn't delete the partition with Windows Disk Manager?

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 08:29:02 PM »
Nope.

But... I'm posting this from my new eeePC, booted off Ubuntu EasyPeasy on a USB drive.  Already blown away XP and getting ready to reboot right now.  Figured I'd test the wireless driver.  Yep.  Connected to my home access point.  Typing isn't too bad on this little keyboard, either.  I can find the keys and I think I'm probably typing around 40-50wpm, only slightly slower than on a full sized keyboard.
--Lysander Spooner

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »
Congrats Red! Let us know how it works out for you.

Also, I agree about SanDisk. I mean really, now they're putting crapware on thumb drives?!?!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 11:41:25 PM »
K, it is running quite nicely.  The audio volume is quite low, though, even when maxed.  I have yet to try earphones, though.  Which is probably the most likely use of the sound system on this.

--Lysander Spooner