Author Topic: "They are non-native, invasive species" or "Mustangs symbol of the wild west"  (Read 16752 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Has anyone ever tasted horse? There's a lot of meat on a horse really. I don't see any problem with eating horse but I know some people are different.

My wife would kill me if she saw this post, as she used to raise horses.  I ate horse sushi in Japan some years back.  I had whale sushi at the same meal.
Yes, both were uncooked.  And both were quite tasty.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Horse meat is a bit "sweeter" than beef, and usually has a finer grain.

It is not something I would want a huge honking slab of at one sitting, but it is certainly not unpleasant.

I tried whale a few times, bit never got to liking it as it seemed to be tough and overcooked.  That may have been the only problem that prevented me from liking it.  I do like whale blubber if in thin strips.  Too big a piece gets to be too much to handle - think of pemmican vs. jerky but no meat bits.

The suggestion that the excess mustangs be sterilized makes me laugh.  The picture of a roundup and application of rubber bands (a terribly cruel way to castrate) would surely make the PETA folks upset.  Injecting mares is only good for a few years at best, and probably too costly in comparison to castrating the stallions.

We could import a few hundred gauchos to do the wrist-twist slice, but those fellas like to then fry or roast the byproduct.  Would the feds allow them to consume uninspected meat parts?  If not, it would probably break that plan.

As for castration, who is going to decide which stallions get to remain stallions so the herd can have a leader?  My mind fails at conjuring up the interview process the potential candidates would have to go through. =D

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Anybody here ever try rocky mountain oysters? I'm curious.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Anybody here ever try rocky mountain oysters? I'm curious.

Yep, many times.  Good stuff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Yep, many times.  Good stuff.

What the hell do they taste like?

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
Kind of nutty... =D

I don't know really, never had them.

The wild horse problem was caused by the US government.  These horses were bred for the Army during WW1.  As the war was drawing to a close, the horses were turned loose on the desert.  They caused the problem, they need to take care of it the same way they do the coyote problem...  A 30 cal SMG mounted on an airplane.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Chicken!

Actually it's been so long I don't really remember but I don't think the ones I had were cooked properly, kind of put me off of them.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Cliffh

• friend

That depends on how they're prepared.  I've had them fried (both breaded and not) and ground for hamburger patties.  Both ways they were very hard to tell from the "regular" cuts of beef.

Adaption of a wild horse isn't all it's cracked up to be.  One of my past girl friends adopted a couple.  It took almost a year to get approval and one or two inspections of the property prior to the approval.  Serious fencing requirements.

They arrived with multiple problems, the worst of which were their hooves.  It's hard to find a ferrier for a horse that's not even halter broke.  It took a year or so for their hooves to come close to where they should be.

They're for the most part ugly horses.  Short legs, big bodies, scars, coarse hair etc. 

After almost 3 years, working with them 5 days a week, she had them halter broke.  They'd still try to bite or kick anyone careless enough to come close.  She finally got rid of them to another starry-eyed bleeding heart.

And, for the PETA crowd, adoption takes them out of their normal habitat and life of freedom and forces them into a life of essential slavery.  Maybe that's why they're hard to "tame"?

Sterilize the one stallion of the herd, the next oldest steps up to the plate.  Sterilize all of the herd maybe?  Lots of money & manpower involved there.  And what happens to the sterilized stallions?  They'll loose some (if not all) of their aggressiveness, get their butts killed in a fight, or they'll end up wandering by themselves until they eventually die.

Shooting seems a much more humane solution.

MicroBalrog

• friend
So why not hunt them? I'm sure there are people who would want to hunt them for pleasure.

Decide, for example, that we need 1,000 horses shot this year. Sell 1000 horse tags for, say, $50 each and wait.

For every species of animal out there there is a person who wants to hunt them. Find that person and charge them money for the privilege.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Cliffh

• friend
Decide, for example, that we need 1,000 horses shot this year. Sell 1000 horse tags for, say, $50 each and wait.

Precisely what I said to the wife earlier this evening.  She agreed.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Where's the sport in shooting some grumpy old mooch-ponies looking for a food handout?

You could walk up to entire herds in NW Arizona and kill them all with a muzzleloading pistol.

I wouldn't pay $50 for that... and I sure as heck wouldn't take care of the corpse afterwards.  Your decent hunters won't pay for this.

If they truly are no more than oversized varmints for the communities in which they reside, then let the communities deal with them.  Add them to the varmint list for the general hunt license for a specified period of time until populations stabilize at the desired level.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MicroBalrog

• friend
I wouldn't pay $50 for that... and I sure as heck wouldn't take care of the corpse afterwards.  Your decent hunters won't pay for this.

I never said anything about "decent" hunters.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zahc

• friend
Where's the sport in shooting some grumpy old mooch-ponies looking for a food handout?

People hunt for sport? I always thought it was a bit too much work to be sport. I always hunted to fill the freezer.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
People hunt for sport? I always thought it was a bit too much work to be sport. I always hunted to fill the freezer.

I think you'd need a big freezer.

My grandpa said the larges animal he ever killed on the farm was a horse.  MUCH bigger than a shorthorn.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
About 15 years ago, we had some Navy boys from Top Gun at NAS Fallon go out shooting and killed a mare and foal.  I think they were court marshaled and spent some jail time.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
afaik if you poach them you're in serious trouble and they'll look for you and post awards.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."