Author Topic: Va. man acquitted of indecent exposure in his home  (Read 8540 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Va. man acquitted of indecent exposure in his home
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »
Va. man acquitted of indecent exposure in his home

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) — A man charged with indecent exposure after two women said they saw him naked inside his own home was acquitted Wednesday by a Virginia jury.

Erick Williamson, 29, has argued since his October arrest that he should not be punished for being naked in the privacy of his own home.

Police and prosecutors, as well as the two women who testified against him, said he intended to expose himself and made no attempt to conceal himself in a residential neighborhood filled with children.

"It's really a weight off my shoulders after these last six months," Williamson said after his acquittal. "I think (the verdict) kind of sets the record straight. It was an innocent action."

In December, a judge in Fairfax County's General District Court convicted Williamson of misdemeanor indecent exposure, but imposed neither jail time nor a fine. Still, Williamson appealed his case to the county's circuit court, risking a maximum punishment of a year in jail to clear his name.

"When you know you've done nothing wrong, it's hard to take these kind of accusations and not stand up to it," said Williamson, an out-of-work commercial diver who racked up thousands of dollars in legal fees.

At the time of his arrest, Williamson was sharing a home in Springfield with other commercial divers. He testified Wednesday that his roommates had gone to work and left him alone in the house for the first time in months. He was moving out, and decided to pack his belongings and make breakfast in the nude.

Two women testified that they saw him naked that morning. The first, a school librarian, said she heard a loud moan and drunken singing. Then, as she drove by Williamson's house at about 6:40 a.m., she saw him in the buff and called 911.

A police officer came by the house, saw nothing unusual and left.

Then, two hours later, Yvette Dean testified that she was walking her 7-year-old son to school when she saw a naked Williamson standing in an exterior doorway on the side of his home with the screen door wide open.

Dean testified that she made eye contact, angrily gave him the finger and hustled her son away. As she turned the corner, she looked back and saw Williamson from a front window, again completely naked.

Williamson did not dispute that the women may have seen him, but said he did not see them and did not make eye contact with Dean. He testified that if he had known he'd been seen, he would have put his pants on and gone outside and apologized.

Under Virginia law, indecent exposure occurs when a person intentionally makes an obscene display of his or her private parts. The law does not necessarily require the exposure to be in a public place — it allows for prosecution when the exposure occurs in a "place where others are present."

Prosecutor Marc Birnbaum said the circumstances of the case, from the librarian's testimony about loud moaning and drunken singing to Dean's testimony about eye contact, showed that Williamson intended to expose himself.

"This isn't a case about being naked in your house. This is a case about intentional exposure," Birnbaum said.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Va. man acquitted of indecent exposure in his home
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:40:50 AM »
I guess they don't like gladiator movies either.
I promise not to duck.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
I wish I could remember that old joke about a neighbor complaining about the indecent exposure on the other side of the fence and the retort inquiry about how far she had to crane her neck to see it.

Thinking back, the account from the article seems quite different than the accounts I remember hearing at the time of the arrest.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »
the women in this case should be forced to change there last names to Kravitz [popcorn] oh and maybe buy the slobs some curtains :laugh:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 11:46:17 AM »
Can you post the linky so I can post about it on FB? >:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

sanglant

• friend

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »
So when are they going to prosecute the "victims" for peeping?  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:24:43 PM »
Really happy to hear of the appeal verdict.  Virginia had recently changed it's indecent exposure law to prevent folks in certain situations (having to stop on the side of the road to pee being the most oft-cited issue during the General Assembly hearings & debate) being arrested and being placed on the sex offender registry for acts where the exposure was not intentional nor salascious.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-387  § 18.2-387. Indecent exposure.

Every person who intentionally makes an obscene display or exposure of his person, or the private parts thereof, in any public place, or in any place where others are present, or procures another to so expose himself, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. No person shall be deemed to be in violation of this section for breastfeeding a child in any public place or any place where others are present.

(Code 1950, § 18.1-236; 1960, c. 233; 1975, cc. 14, 15; 1994, c. 398.)

The original reports of the "offense" had the woman & child walking down a side path/walkway which involved trespassing on his property.  Hopefully that was addressed during the appeal trial.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »
Stopping alongside the road to pee is so comman in MT that people don't even bother to camoflage what they are doing.  =)

Once, I saw a young woman walk around around to the back of a high ground clearance pickup and squat.  She was well below bumper level  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »
While working in the Queen's DA office I looked outside the window to see a man in a suit stop, turn, and then start urinating onto the road. 

I think it may have been that exact moment I decided I didn't want to work in the city.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 02:53:34 PM »
So when are they going to prosecute the "victims" for peeping?

It sounds like the peepers were women. Women are never sexual predators, only sexual victims.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 03:13:27 PM »
i seem to remember a news story about a rapist, a few women, and some vegetables that goes counter to that [tinfoil]

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 05:46:01 PM »
What a jerk. Either keep the doors/windows shut, or keep your pants on.  Moron. Criminal moron.   ;/

And yes, I also want laws against sagging jeans that expose underpants.  Flame away. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »
What a jerk. Either keep the doors/windows shut, or keep your pants on.  Moron. Criminal moron.   ;/

And yes, I also want laws against sagging jeans that expose underpants.  Flame away. 

I'll walk around stark nekkid in my house and you can't stop me.  All who "observed" him had to trespass onto his property, walk along a hedge-lined walkway (hedge on outside of walkway screening the path) and stick their noses where they did not belong.

Yeah, if he had been standing in front of his picture window with the shades/blinds open, where anybody going down the street could see him, then he's a jerk and maybe even a criminal.

You might find this http://www.arrowfastener.com/products/hammer_tackers/79055000532/ useful re: sagging pants.  Says it's  good for upholstery.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »
it is a might peculiar that 2 different women saw him hours apart.  and that one claimed he stood in the door
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »
It sounds like the peepers were women. Women are never sexual predators, only sexual victims.
My experience at the juvinile prison contradicts your assertion.
Formerly sumpnz

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
I think that was sarcasm on his part...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 10:11:25 PM »
it is a might peculiar that 2 different women saw him hours apart.  and that one claimed he stood in the door

AFAIK he was standing in his door.  However, that door (side door) was next to a private wlkway protected from view from the street by a hedge.  Lady #2 & her spawn trespassed to take a shortcut & thus observed him.  Had they stayed off private property and not breached his expectation of privacy there would have been no incident.

Of course women & children are "special classes" and deserve protection even when they are the cause of their travail.

stay safe.

skidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
AFAIK he was standing in his door.  However, that door (side door) was next to a private wlkway protected from view from the street by a hedge.  Lady #2 & her spawn trespassed to take a shortcut & thus observed him.  Had they stayed off private property and not breached his expectation of privacy there would have been no incident.

Previous claims that L2 was trespassing were unconvincing.  If the case is as you say, I reconsider.  What about lady # 1?

What I object to in the case is the idea that exposing yourself to the public is legal, with the fig leaf excuse of "I was inside my house."  If he had an expectation of privacy, then I see your point. 

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »
where does it say the ppl were trespassing? anyway, guy should keep his shades down, the only ppl ?I approve of running around naked are 20 something women
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 12:48:32 AM »
Are you really saying one does not have an expectation of privacy in your own home?  ???

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 12:56:45 AM »
Are you really saying one does not have an expectation of privacy in your own home?  ???

Not if you're displaying yourself through a door or window, while nude, where the public can see you.  There is of course no expectation of privacy in that situation, home or not. 

If he wasn't doing that, then yeah, more power to him. 

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 01:01:43 AM »
So, unless you have blackout curtains installed, that are always closed, and/or live behind a tall fence you are a criminal for walking around nekkid? /shakes head

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 01:28:42 AM »
So, unless you have blackout curtains installed, that are always closed, and/or live behind a tall fence you are a criminal for walking around nekkid? /shakes head

Nobody said anything like that, but if you enjoy having conversations with yourself, go right ahead. 

'Though it is entirely possible that there are forum members who keep themselves invisible to me.  What have I been missing all these years?   :O

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 01:53:51 AM »
Not if you're displaying yourself through a door or window, while nude, where the public can see you.  There is of course no expectation of privacy in that situation, home or not. 

So what you're saying is that if you're naked, and in a location you're visible to the public (for example, in your bedroom with the blinds open), this is indecent exposure?

THe court didn't seem to buy it.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner