Author Topic: Va. man acquitted of indecent exposure in his home  (Read 8539 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Va. man acquitted of indecent exposure in his home
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 02:42:37 AM »
In every urban or suburban house and apt I've been in, the only way to prevent a member of the public, standing in a public thoroughfair, from seeing into your house was heavy curtains or solid blinds of some type. So given your contention, anyone who dares have their curtains pulled cannot be nude in their own home.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 05:25:32 AM »
Heck, I'm naked most of the time I'm home.  Not a pretty sight, I'll admit, but I'm good with it unless I happen to look in a mirror.  Then I scare myself.  :lol:

But the windows are covered in such a manner to eliminate the view to any passer-by.  I don't want to be the cause of trauma -it'd not be neighborly.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:43:32 AM by 209 »

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 06:24:41 AM »
now i know we're better off with the AI. [tinfoil]

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 07:21:19 AM »
So given your contention, anyone who dares have their curtains pulled cannot be nude in their own home.

So what you're saying is that if you're naked, and in a location you're visible to the public (for example, in your bedroom with the blinds open), this is indecent exposure?

Seems kinda obvious, don't it?  I don't see why there is any debate here.   ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 06:41:54 PM »
The reports I'm seeing now do not correspond very accurately with what was reported at the time of the (alleged) incident. In fact, it sounds a bit as though the (alleged) "victim" may have embelleshed her story in the interim.

http://www.aolnews.com/story/eric-williams-charged-with-indecent/730688

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/indecent-exposure-in-home-121809

This is from the second article, which reported his original conviction in December 2009:
All witnesses testified that Williamson never stepped outside his home and made no gestures. However, a judge said since Williamson was seen by more than one person over the course of several hours, the judge considered the behavior "indecent".

Another report from the time of the original arrest. In this version, the "victim" says she say him in an open door in the car port of his [own! private!] home.
http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=1790464
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2010, 06:59:26 PM »

Seems kinda obvious, don't it?  I don't see why there is any debate here.   ???

Well. I could see an argument to prosecute a man who's standing on his balcony and waving his parts at the public. An argument.

To what extent, however, we agree with indecent exposure laws (I don't, and it's a whole different argument), their purpose should be to protect against 'sexual predators' who deliberately expose themselves to others. If I come out of the shower naked and a construction crew working on the roof of the house next door happens to somehow spot me, that's not the same thing as standing on your balcony and screaming LOOK AT ME I AM NAKED.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »
once is an accident  twice  separate folks hours apart?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 08:38:58 PM »
To what extent, however, we agree with indecent exposure laws (I don't, and it's a whole different argument), their purpose should be to protect against 'sexual predators' who deliberately expose themselves to others. If I come out of the shower naked and a construction crew working on the roof of the house next door happens to somehow spot me,...

Your scenario seems to include an expectation of privacy.  If you've got that, nude away.  (Wait, did I just say that?  :facepalm:

There's a glass storm door on the front of my house.  Anyone on the street could see me, if I stood in front of it.  No expectation of privacy there.  If I nuded there, I'd expect I might get charged with indecent exposure or something. I would be deliberately (or at least carelessly) exposing myself to others.  Not exactly sexual predation, but I don't see why the laws would be limited to that.

I admit, though, I'm no expert on the laws or precedents that cover that kind of thing. 

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 09:23:19 PM »
So what do you believe a reasonable expectation of privacy would be? You have a right to privacy in your home, in rooms with no windows?

In any case, I remember having this argument the first time this came about. Obviously no one is getting persuaded so I think I'll just bow out.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2010, 09:55:07 PM »
the solution =D, now who's going to pay for it? [popcorn] i love this stuff, it(and insulated curtains) makes a room pitch dark all day. great stuff if you have headaches. ;) oh it stinks a little for a few weeks(outside) if it's in direct sun. [tinfoil]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2010, 10:19:34 PM »
So what do you believe a reasonable expectation of privacy would be? You have a right to privacy in your home, in rooms with no windows?

In any case, I remember having this argument the first time this came about. Obviously no one is getting persuaded so I think I'll just bow out.

Might as well.  You're not reading what I've said.   ;/

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »

Might as well.  You're not reading what I've said.   ;/

Disagreeing != not reading.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 10:34:28 PM »
But disagreeing with things I clearly never said looks a great deal like not reading.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 10:39:27 PM »
For example:

You have a right to privacy in your home, in rooms with no windows?

Of course not.  You have a right to privacy in your home, when you are not in view or earshot of passers-by or neighbors. 

It's very simple.  If you are naked on your front lawn as your neighbors walk by on the sidewalk, you can't expect privacy.  Just like if you stand in front a window where you have reason to believe they will see you.  Having a roof over your head doesn't make it OK for you to be naked in public view. 

How is this controversial? 

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 10:45:12 PM »
It's the "Where they have reason to believe etc" bit I object to. Totality of circumstances of course.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010, 10:52:37 PM »
???  I no understand.