Author Topic: always be respectful around old men a lil fear might be wise too  (Read 11440 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: always be respectful around old men follow up
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 01:46:36 AM »
http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2010/052010/05232010/550115

BY PORTSIA SMITH

A former Marine, Theodore Edmond served two tours in Vietnam and suffered only a scar on his chest from a barbed-wire fence.

It wasn't until the 61-year-old Maryland man made a routine fuel stop in Caroline County two weeks ago that he received war-like wounds.

Edmond, nationally recognized as a good Samaritan, was shot four times when he struck a gunman in the head with a bottle of Yuengling beer during a robbery attempt at a Carmel Church gas station.

While he has been praised by the cashier whose life he possibly saved, he has been teased by his close friends and relatives.

"They told me if I had been a drinker, I would have known to grab a 40-ounce," he laughed in an exclusive interview with The Free Lance-Star. "I told them the next time I need to hit someone with a beer bottle, I'll call them first for a brand recommendation."

But when he walked into the Mr. Fuel gas station on the night of May 8, it was no laughing matter.

He said he walked right past the gunman who was pointing what looked like a toy gun in the face of the frightened cashier.

"It looked like a plastic revolver you play cowboys and Indians with," Edmond said.

He said he tried to find something heavy to use as a weapon, as the frustrated gunman raised his voice at the woman, who couldn't get the register open. Then he heard two loud bangs from the gun. It was no toy.

He assumed the cashier was dead and, running out of time, grabbed the first thing he could get his hands on--a plastic bottle. Then he saw the Yuenglings.

Edmond said he was happy to see that the cashier was alive, as he crept up behind the man, whose voice was getting louder and louder. The first shots were intended as a warning, but he figured the next one would be fatal.

"There's no way I'm going to stand around and watch him murder this lady," Edmond said. "That's what I couldn't understand about the other people who were in there. I just know I could not look in the mirror if I had just stood there and did nothing while he shot that lady. I did what I had to do.
Edmond swung with one arm and hit the would-be robber in the back of the head before the two struggled.

Edmond fell to the floor, and the gunman stood over him and shot him four times, striking him in the head, shoulder and both legs.

"I don't know why I'm not dead," he said. "I didn't feel anything,"

He said he thought the gunman had missed until he tried to stand up and noticed that his left leg wasn't working the way it was supposed to. And that's when he realized that all of the blood on the floor was his.

When he did manage to stand, he saw the gunman down on his knees in the parking lot.

"There were all these people out there looking at him, and they let him just get away," he said.

Edmond was later transported to Mary Washington Hospital. He was released the next day.

Edmond said he knew he was in good hands when he learned that the man taking care of him in the hospital's trauma center was Michael DiSimone, a physician's assistant who had served in combat overseas.

DiSimone told him there would be more damage done by removing the bullets, and he suggested they not be moved.

Edmond has been recovering at home, and said the ordeal has set him back about three weeks, and he has a slight limp.

"It just felt like I over-exercised," he said.

Edmond said he stopped in Caroline after working on his aunt's summer house in North Carolina. He was headed back to Maryland, he said, because his wife was preparing for a vacation and needed to get to the train station.

He stopped at Mr. Fuel, as he usually does about three or four times a week during hunting season, because "they have the best fuel price."

He said he still hasn't seen the surveillance video but would probably get around to watching it this week.

He hadn't planned to talk publicly about the event until his 83-year-old mother and his aunt told him that they saw on TV that the cashier wanted to meet him and thank him for saving her life.

If he could relive that day, Edmond said, he wouldn't do anything differently--except he would use a tire iron instead of a beer bottle.

"You can't go through life being afraid," he said. "I'm surprised nobody had a gun to quickly resolve the situation. Could have saved the county some money for a trial."

Warren Harold Brown, 31, and Winston Sylvester Oliver II, 32, both of Richmond, were arrested last week in connection with the incident. They have been charged with attempted capital murder, aggravated malicious wounding, attempted robbery and the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. They will appear in Caroline County Circuit Court on June 25.

When asked what he would say to the two men responsible for the bullets that are still in his body, Edmond said: "With that type of individual, a mammal I call them, it's nothing you can say. They think they know everything, and you'll be wasting your breath."

"Throw them in jail and throw the key away," he said.

somebodies gonna be in trouble for using "former marine"
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 02:36:25 AM »
"They told me if I had been a drinker, I would have known to grab a 40-ounce," he laughed in an exclusive interview with The Free Lance-Star. "I told them the next time I need to hit someone with a beer bottle, I'll call them first for a brand recommendation."

Actually, even a non-drinker should know to look for the classic 12oz or 10oz soda bottles; beer bottles tend to be the thinnest glass they can get away with.

If I had to improvise in a situation like this, I think I might have sacrificed another second or two to look for something either more durable or sharp.  OTOH, I carry pepper spray and a .357 so I won't have to waste time improvising.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 04:20:59 AM »
Actually, even a non-drinker should know to look for the classic 12oz or 10oz soda bottles; beer bottles tend to be the thinnest glass they can get away with.

Sobe bottles would be best.  Those things are made out of some very thick glass.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Re: always be respectful around old men a lil fear might be wise too
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 05:54:31 PM »
Any idea what kind of revolver it was?  It's hard to tell from the security cam vid, but I didn't see any recoil or muzzle flash.  I'm trying to see where it is in the altercation that the old guy got shot.

Interesting fight all around.  The beer bottle didn't seem to bother the shooter much, and the 4 gunshots didn't do a whole lot to the old guy, either.

I'm glad the good guy is OK and the shooter is in jail.

I like this quote:
"I'm surprised nobody had a gun to quickly resolve the situation. Could have saved the county some money for a trial."
It's a wonder the editor didn't yank it out of the article before publishing it.

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
i think they'll catch more grief for calling him a former marine.   and a lot of us are surprised someone didn't shoot the fool. its been known to happen round here
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 06:58:57 PM »
i think they'll catch more grief for calling him a former marine.   and a lot of us are surprised someone didn't shoot the fool. its been known to happen round here

I thought that was the acceptable way of describing a discharged Marine.  As opposed to calling him an ex-Marine. But, yeah, people always feel the need to get all serious about the Marine Corps mythos.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 01:44:40 AM »

I thought that was the acceptable way of describing a discharged Marine.  As opposed to calling him an ex-Marine. But, yeah, people always feel the need to get all serious about the Marine Corps mythos.

No, "former" is the correct way to describe someone who previously held a job or position but no longer does, such as "former President of the PTA." Being a Marine (be sure to capitalize it, too) is not a job or a position, it's a state of existence. "Once a Marine, always a Marine." Unless drummed out of the Corps, one is never a "former" Marine.

Of course, even when properly using "former" to describe occupations and positions more pedestrian than United States Marine, today's alleged journalists still get it wrong more often than they get it right. Typically, they will write something like "George W. Bush was a former President of the United States." Really? "Was"? When did he STOP being a former President of the United States? In such a sentence, "was" is correct only if you're writing the person's obituary.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »
There are certain countries in the world across the pond where he'd be castigated and reviled for any such horrible  action as hitting someone with a bottle.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 07:00:23 PM »
No, "former" is the correct way to describe someone who previously held a job or position but no longer does, such as "former President of the PTA." Being a Marine (be sure to capitalize it, too) is not a job or a position, it's a state of existence. "Once a Marine, always a Marine." Unless drummed out of the Corps, one is never a "former" Marine.

Of course, even when properly using "former" to describe occupations and positions more pedestrian than United States Marine, today's alleged journalists still get it wrong more often than they get it right. Typically, they will write something like "George W. Bush was a former President of the United States." Really? "Was"? When did he STOP being a former President of the United States? In such a sentence, "was" is correct only if you're writing the person's obituary.

So how would a journalist say that he is a Marine, but has retired or been discharged?  "Former Marine" seems like a pretty good way to do that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »
Former Marine is the correct term for someone honorably discharged or retired from the Marine Corps.  Ex-Marine is someone that was dishonorably discharged from the Corps, or otherwise removed from the service under less than honorable circumstances.
This is something we had "drilled" into us as boots.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 07:49:13 PM »
This is something we had "drilled" into us as boots.

You are a Former Marine?
-respectfully questioning your authority.
7-11 was a part time job.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 10:13:32 PM »
You are a Former Marine?
-respectfully questioning your authority.

Yes.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 10:57:10 PM »
All the "former" Marines of my acquaintance decline to be identified as "former." They ARE Marines ... not currently on duty.

WhadoIno ... I was Army. I'm just passing on what multiple "former" Marines have told me (in no uncertain terms).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 11:30:23 PM »
Multiple "former" Marines of my acquaintance bristle to the point of considering it an insult, at being called an ex-Marine (myself included).  I have noticed no such reaction among them at being called a "former Marine" (myself included).  They even use the description themselves.

They ARE Marines ... not currently on duty.

We do tend to have that mindset.

WhadoIno ... I was Army.

There's your problem.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:37:51 PM by RocketMan »

• friends