Author Topic: For sale at Sam's Club: chicken coop  (Read 5638 times)

Triphammer

• friend
Re: For sale at Sam's Club: chicken coop
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
One small bit of advice to those wishing to start a home flock. Try to find a source to get chicks in the Fall. Historically spring is when they're shipped but you have 20 to 26 weeks before they start laying. They start their first year shortly before shutting down for the winter. If you buy your chicks in the Fall, you'll need to expend a little resourcefulness to make sure they stay warm but come spring they'll be ready to start laying.

These folks are a huge source of advice and experience;
http://www.backyardchickens.com/

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: For sale at Sam's Club: chicken coop
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »
We're about to start with ducks. Mainly because I can have a drake but not a rooster.

Additionally, from what I'm reading, ducks are far more disease resistant than chickens. Also it's a good excuse to get a pond.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
One small bit of advice to those wishing to start a home flock. Try to find a source to get chicks in the Fall. Historically spring is when they're shipped but you have 20 to 26 weeks before they start laying. They start their first year shortly before shutting down for the winter. If you buy your chicks in the Fall, you'll need to expend a little resourcefulness to make sure they stay warm but come spring they'll be ready to start laying.

These folks are a huge source of advice and experience;
http://www.backyardchickens.com/

I've never really had this problem at least with my layer breeds even though I've read and heard about it. The ornamentals (Cochins, Brahmas, etc.) definitely, but the Rhode Island Reds and the Comets/Sexlinks types never seem to shutdown even in the dead of winter for more than a couple days or so and even then I'll get eggs, but not the same daily quantities. They will lay smaller eggs during that time as well sometimes. It usually has to get down to below 0 for a couple nights for the production to drop off. I have one hen that is going on 2.5 years that has laid at least 350 days of each year since she started. Selecting the right breeds to get the best egg production is important of course and generally others for best growth for meat. I don't really eat chicken as I just don't really like it, Turkey either so I don't bother with meat birds. I love fresh eggs though, can't compare to store bought.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 03:16:37 PM »
I think I saw a fancy chicken coupe at Costco last year.   :laugh:
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
I think I saw a fancy chicken coupe at Costco last year.   :laugh:

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »
Maybe should be another thread, but I've been exploring raising backyard bacon on the hoof for a complete breakfast. Probably not recommended for the urban/suburban crowd. I'm on 5 acres though and my zoning allows small quantities of livestock. We have real farms all around except my property and a couple smaller ones around me and I'm pretty friendly with the neighbors so I don't anticipate any complaints. I've been thinkng of getting a 2 or 3 feeder pigs this spring and sending them off to the butcher in the fall. Have an empty stall in the barn with a about 70 x 100 foot paddock attached to house them. Just need to do a little reinforcing of the fench and I can start providing myself with complete breakfasts including bacon, sausage, ham and eggs!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 04:22:16 PM »
Maybe should be another thread, but I've been exploring raising backyard bacon on the hoof for a complete breakfast. Probably not recommended for the urban/suburban crowd. I'm on 5 acres though and my zoning allows small quantities of livestock. We have real farms all around except my property and a couple smaller ones around me and I'm pretty friendly with the neighbors so I don't anticipate any complaints. I've been thinkng of getting a 2 or 3 feeder pigs this spring and sending them off to the butcher in the fall. Have an empty stall in the barn with a about 70 x 100 foot paddock attached to house them. Just need to do a little reinforcing of the fench and I can start providing myself with complete breakfasts including bacon, sausage, ham and eggs!

We did that when I was a kid; also on 5 acres.  You need really strong fences to keep pigs in.  Give them plenty of room to forage and they won't try to get out (much) and won't smell (much.)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 09:03:42 PM »
Suburban chicken raising is a thing now.  I'm not surprised at all that Sam's is carrying coops.

Yep. I live on a local street that's two miles from a state road. In that two miles there are two up-scale houses with "farm" stands out front, selling eggs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2015, 10:15:14 PM »
What kinda dog? I have had a bunch of chicken killers. Have one now but that caused me to make my coops and runs strong. I hot wire em keeps everyone away. Dogs yotes coons and possums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 10:17:54 PM »
I like aurucanas . Green eggs.

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 11:31:27 PM »
Super tempted to try it, if it is in fact okay in my HOA.
Advice on sources for learning about it?  Seems like a very big possibility for teaching the kids a lot about animals, responsibility, and self sustainability. 

Go for it.  Did it with the kids a couple years back and it was all that & more until the neighbor cat got them.  Now using the prospect of more chickens as a lure to get better grades.  They want them bad enough they are working harder in school.

A couple of suggestions:
1. Dogs can be trained to not kill chickens.  All it took was one swat on the butt to train our German Shorthaired Pointer.  I suppose a hard-headed dog could be untrainable.  If your pooch can be trained not to kill the chickens, you have just made your chickens much more secure from OTHER predators.
2. Buy or borrow from your municipal animal pound a have-a-heart trap and begin trapping before you let the chickens outside.  Do it for a month or so.  Take neighbor cats to the pound and also any other mammals you catch.  Foxes, yotes, & such HAVE to be turned over to gov't due to rabies.  Marsupials not so much.  You can take them to gov't or relocate.  My wife crowned me "The Great Possum Catcher" in honor of my possum count after catching the neighbor cat responsible for killing Indiana and Lucy.  If your neighbors have a frequent flyer, most of the fines to spring them go up per incident.  That might convince them to keep Fluffy inside.  If not, I would give Fluffy three strikes and she's out (in a humane manner).
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2015, 11:36:30 PM »
I like aurucanas . Green eggs.

How are the aurucanas, personality-wise?  The Rhode Island Reds we had were great with people.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 01:45:18 AM »
Arucanas are about the same as my reds. I actually get amerucanas. Usa version of the south american birds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 07:18:28 AM »
The Rhode Island Reds we had were great with people.

You've an adventurous palate.  :O
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 08:35:41 AM »
Long Pork?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2015, 12:20:57 PM »

You've an adventurous palate.  :O

Some folks' only use is as readily-accessible protein.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton