Author Topic: Image Software Help?  (Read 1635 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Image Software Help?
« on: May 01, 2008, 03:07:25 PM »
A ways back (maybe a long ways), someone on the forum was asking about simple to use freeware image software and a bunch of people came back with a particular package that as I recall was like "Gimp Lite". I have a friend who finds Gimp too complicated and I wanted to recommend that software to him.

I tried a search but didn't come up with anything. As soon as I read the name I'll recognize it. A little help pals?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Image Software Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
irfanview
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »
That's it! Thanks. Short thread.  laugh
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:21:29 AM »
Photoshop Elements is good, too, and cheap.

gimp is nothing but a hobbyist port of a long-obsolete version of Photoshop.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:51:22 AM »

I would agree, in part. 

Last time I played with both, GIMP had somewhat lesser functionality relative to PS's full complement.  But, GIMP had added functionality in different areas.  The most noticeable (to this unreformed script-writer) was the ability to use multiple/different scripting tools/langs to automate tasks in GIMP.  I recall Script-fu (Scheme), python, and perl as being options.

After a look-see, I see that tcl s also an option and ruby is an experimental option.

To someone who hates repetitive tasks and re-inventing the wheel, using existing scripting languages for in-program automation is a winner.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 09:09:57 AM »
I've been using paint.net for most of my stuff recently.  I used to work professionally in PS 3 and 4 back in the day so this tool most closely matched the interface I am used to.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 09:41:01 AM »

I would agree, in part. 

Last time I played with both, GIMP had somewhat lesser functionality relative to PS's full complement.  But, GIMP had added functionality in different areas.  The most noticeable (to this unreformed script-writer) was the ability to use multiple/different scripting tools/langs to automate tasks in GIMP.  I recall Script-fu (Scheme), python, and perl as being options.

After a look-see, I see that tcl s also an option and ruby is an experimental option.

To someone who hates repetitive tasks and re-inventing the wheel, using existing scripting languages for in-program automation is a winner.

And for someone who is right-brain creative and is allergic to programming, as many graphics professionals are, something like that is an absolute turnoff. Things like high levels of sensitivity to Wacom tablets for freehand drawing are what's important to me.

PERL is for the DB people.