Author Topic: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread  (Read 122330 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread
« Reply #225 on: March 16, 2022, 12:25:22 PM »
Something tells me that you're not using an upside down flag to send a distress signal over a significant distance, so its really a moot point no matter what flag is being used.

Beatty used flag signals at the Battle of Jutland, only the distance (5 nautical miles) and atmospheric conditions, including smoke from his own ships, made the flag signals unreadable to some parts of his squadron and it resulted in the scattering of Beatty's forces and effectively neutralized his 5th battle squadron at a critical juncture of the battle.

Beatty and his signal officer, who's name escapes me at the moment, had a history of repeatedly screwing up flag signals even before Jutland. That plus Beatty's habit of keeping Jellicoe in the dark about not only his own movements but that of the German's as well...yeah
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #226 on: March 16, 2022, 12:32:19 PM »
Beatty and his signal officer, who's name escapes me at the moment, had a history of screwing up flag signals even before Jutland. That plus Beatty's habit of keeping Jellicoe in the dark about not only his own movements but that of the German's as well...yeah

Ralph Seymour.

Seymour didn't have... a very good grasp of how to prepare signals for clarity of intent -- not just flag signals, either, but also wireless and searchlight signals.

What happened at Jutland was a different matter, however. The signals were standard course change signals, which had a very definitive format with no "wiggle room" for interpretation, but were delivered by flag when conditions dictated they should have been delivered by either wireless or by searchlight.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #227 on: March 16, 2022, 12:38:56 PM »
Yeah, Seymour.
And I should have said signals in general.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #228 on: March 16, 2022, 12:53:03 PM »
Wouldn't have bothered me if both Beatty and Seymour had retired or shoved somewhere quiet, like maybe off the fantail of the Lion  >:D, after Dogger Bank. But Beatty had his political connections
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #229 on: March 16, 2022, 12:59:43 PM »
THIS.......this is some A1, primo thread drift.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #230 on: March 16, 2022, 01:10:24 PM »
Back on topic

When in doubt photoshop

https://twitter.com/Wolfe_50/status/1504120583927345152

AFT/AFL-CIO scrapped tweet with Ukraine flag upside-down, but the next attempt was so bad it also got deleted
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/03/16/aft-afl-cio-scrapped-tweet-with-ukraine-flag-upside-down-but-the-next-attempt-was-so-bad-it-also-got-deleted/
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #231 on: March 16, 2022, 01:13:35 PM »
More like MS Painted it.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2022, 01:29:40 PM »
Wouldn't have bothered me if both Beatty and Seymour had retired or shoved somewhere quiet, like maybe off the fantail of the Lion  >:D, after Dogger Bank. But Beatty had his political connections

Which he used, in part, to cover up his many mistakes and failings at Jutland. It's also very interesting how Beatty began to turn on Seymour after the war when in depth analyses began to show just what a jackwad Beatty had been.

The problem with Winston Churchill's quote about Jellico is that it should have been directed at Beatty. But, Churchill loved Beatty because they were very much alike personality wise, while Jellico was, by nature, reserved and cautious and slow to act until he had fully assessed the situation. 

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2022, 01:33:14 PM »
THIS.......this is some A1, primo thread drift.

It's what we do.

Or, to paraphrase Adm. the 1st Earl Beatty, "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody threads today."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 07:39:19 PM by K Frame »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #234 on: March 16, 2022, 01:34:24 PM »
It's what we do.

Or, to paraphrase Adm. 1st Earl Beatty, "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody threads today."

I was trying to figure out a way on how to fit that in somewhere.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #235 on: March 16, 2022, 01:39:54 PM »
Which he used, in part, to cover up his many mistakes and failings at Jutland. It's also very interesting how Beatty began to turn on Seymour after the war when in depth analyses began to show just what a jackwad Beatty had been.

And getting to fiddle with the written history of Jutand as First Sea Lord
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #236 on: March 16, 2022, 02:14:42 PM »
More like MS Painted it.

Looks more like a really bad "mask and Krylon" job.

Jesus...

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2022, 02:34:00 PM »
Back on topic

When in doubt photoshop

https://twitter.com/Wolfe_50/status/1504120583927345152

AFT/AFL-CIO scrapped tweet with Ukraine flag upside-down, but the next attempt was so bad it also got deleted
https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2022/03/16/aft-afl-cio-scrapped-tweet-with-ukraine-flag-upside-down-but-the-next-attempt-was-so-bad-it-also-got-deleted/
Doesn't an upside-down flag typically indicate distress?

;)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2022, 02:52:01 PM »
Doesn't an upside-down flag typically indicate distress?

;)

Get here late, didja?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #239 on: March 16, 2022, 07:31:25 PM »
I was trying to figure out a way on how to fit that in somewhere.

:rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2022, 07:38:35 PM »
Uh oh, I think this thread is in distress...

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2022, 07:57:56 PM »
To get back on subject, was the woman of the year a rear admiral? Just asking for a friend.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2022, 08:53:42 PM »
To get back on subject, was the woman of the year a rear admiral? Just asking for a friend.

Let's rephrase that question for accuracy.
Is the faux Rear Admiral that may have been selected as woman of the year actually a woman?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2022, 12:24:02 AM »

https://babylonbee.com/news/the-babylon-bees-man-of-the-year-is-rachel-levine

UPDATE: Since announcing this award, we've been told that Levine actually identifies as a woman. We have still chosen to give the award as his self-identification has no bearing on the truth. Congratulations, Rachel Levine!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #244 on: March 17, 2022, 09:39:23 AM »
Well, okay.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #245 on: March 17, 2022, 09:50:21 AM »
Hook a generator up to that spin
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »
Joy Reid is losing what little grip on reality she had left.

Bottom line: DeSantis is building his 2024 campaign on a Trump-on-steroids menu of pro-COVID, anti-LGBT, anti-Black, anti-teacher, control-the-women, undiluted fascism. The far right loves it and Florida Republicans are too scared of him to get in the way. https://t.co/oKgjFohfvO

— Joy-Ann (Pro-Democracy) Reid 😷 (@JoyAnnReid) March 14, 2022
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2022/03/17/joy-reid-declares-that-florida-under-iron-fisted-fascist-ron-desantis-is-basically-gilead-with-palm-trees-and-bikinis/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #247 on: March 18, 2022, 09:01:17 AM »
I could not imagine having a kid in the current public school system at the elementary school level.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2022/03/17/teacher-records-themself-coming-out-a-trans-finds-it-difficult-to-explain-to-fourth-graders/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #248 on: March 18, 2022, 11:01:24 AM »
Also, on Fox Business Channel of all places, they are playing a "gen cool" campaign commercial. All about how cool it is to be a transgender kid. Absolutely peer pressure that is going to screw up a bunch of mixed up and impressionable young kids for the rest of their lives.

Where is that asteroid? Alternatively, I'll take Putin throwing some nukes our way.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #249 on: March 18, 2022, 01:03:51 PM »
Also, on Fox Business Channel of all places, they are playing a "gen cool" campaign commercial. All about how cool it is to be a transgender kid. Absolutely peer pressure that is going to screw up a bunch of mixed up and impressionable young kids for the rest of their lives.

Where is that asteroid? Alternatively, I'll take Putin throwing some nukes our way.

Hope springs eternal!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams