Author Topic: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread  (Read 122206 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Maybe we should just start a The World Has Gone Mad thread
« Reply #1125 on: February 23, 2023, 03:17:56 AM »
Cool! Where do I sign up? Does the VA offer it?</Sarcasm></LightenUp></DarkHumor>

Only in Canada.  For now.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1126 on: February 23, 2023, 04:51:30 AM »
That's just one reason why the feds should get out of K-12 education entirely.

And, no, she's not right. If "society" is going to contradict what most parents want for their children, then "society" should get out of the teaching business.

No arguements,  I'd like to see the fed.gov out of education entirely.  Fed.gov, however, feels they have a vested interest in education.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1127 on: February 23, 2023, 10:43:04 AM »
No arguements,  I'd like to see the fed.gov out of education entirely.  Fed.gov, however, feels they have a vested interest in education.
Lots of people making lots of money - government programs are a GREAT, time-tested way to force the taxpayers to line select people's pockets.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1128 on: February 23, 2023, 11:39:59 AM »
Lots of people making lots of money - government programs are a GREAT, time-tested way to force the taxpayers to line select people's pockets.
We spend about a quarter of every dollar the government collects in taxes (across state/federal/local) on education but we're constantly told that it is not enough. 

That is twice what we spend on defense.  The Military-Industrial Complex ain't got nothin' on the Public Education-Industrial complex.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #1129 on: February 23, 2023, 02:09:40 PM »
We spend about a quarter of every dollar the government collects in taxes (across state/federal/local) on education but we're constantly told that it is not enough. 

That is twice what we spend on defense.  The Military-Industrial Complex ain't got nothin' on the Public Education-Industrial complex.
I've seen publik skuul spending up close. I've posted this before, but back in the mid '70s a student project at my high school that should have taken <$2000 was quoted by the Chicago Board of Education at $43,750. The BoE became VERY upset that the students went to the news media with this disparity and that it was widely reported. (SOME of the media back then still had "journalistic integrity.")

So I don't believe education money is being spent wisely - not even close. It wasn't back then, and IMHO careless waste, politics, and poor judgement - along with outright graft and corruption - have only made things worse now.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #1130 on: February 23, 2023, 10:13:13 PM »
I am surprised no one in the US seems to be talking about repealing truancy laws. I mean, look at the outrages going on in some of these schools.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #1131 on: February 24, 2023, 12:37:50 PM »
Oh the horror

NEW: Sources in the LA DA’s office tell me the @GeorgeGascon admin has suspended the lead prosecutor who handled transgender child molester James “Hannah” Tubbs’ case for 5 days without pay for “misgendering” & “deadnaming” Tubbs by referring to him as a https://t.co/GSDQ1U10J3https://t.co/9ArNu09w82

— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) February 24, 2023

LA County DA George Gascón reportedly suspends prosecutor for misgendering/deadnaming child molester
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2023/02/24/la-county-da-george-gascon-reportedly-suspends-prosecutor-for-misgendering-deadnaming-child-molester/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1132 on: February 24, 2023, 01:33:58 PM »
Oh the horror

LA County DA George Gascón reportedly suspends prosecutor for misgendering/deadnaming child molester
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2023/02/24/la-county-da-george-gascon-reportedly-suspends-prosecutor-for-misgendering-deadnaming-child-molester/

Sounds like another prosecutor moving to Florida.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #1133 on: February 24, 2023, 09:07:44 PM »
Just a thought on the madness:

I'm sitting in church right now, taking in a hellfire & brimstone sermon, and I begin to wonder about the connection between our politics, and our belief (or not) in hell. I think it's true (could be wrong) that most people on the far left do not believe in hell. Certainly communism discourages such. Left-wing religion tends to disbelieve. Do such people seek to punish their enemies in this life, because they have no hope of divine justice in the next?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1134 on: February 25, 2023, 06:18:13 AM »
Just a thought on the madness:

I'm sitting in church right now, taking in a hellfire & brimstone sermon, and I begin to wonder about the connection between our politics, and our belief (or not) in hell. I think it's true (could be wrong) that most people on the far left do not believe in hell. Certainly communism discourages such. Left-wing religion tends to disbelieve. Do such people seek to punish their enemies in this life, because they have no hope of divine justice in the next?

*citation needed.

Certainly atheists don't believe in hell, and true Communists tend to be atheists, but I don't think that's very common in America.  All the left leaning people I know believe in an afterlife.  Several are active Christians that believe in the Biblical Hell explicitly.  Certainly Rev Wright and the Obama's profess a belief in the Christian afterlife, as do the Bidens.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #1135 on: February 25, 2023, 07:55:19 AM »
Certainly Rev Wright and the Obama's profess a belief in the Christian afterlife, as do the Bidens.

I think in these and many similar cases this profession of belief is more a matter of political convenience.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1136 on: February 25, 2023, 08:08:28 AM »
https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/religious-family/atheist/party-affiliation/
In context of other religious groups
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/23/u-s-religious-groups-and-their-political-leanings/

I think Perd has a point about it being easier to accept temporal injustice if one believes in an eternal reckoning. A pragmatic government or politician might even see that as beneficial regardless of their actual belief.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1137 on: February 25, 2023, 10:33:55 AM »
https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/religious-family/atheist/party-affiliation/
In context of other religious groups
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/23/u-s-religious-groups-and-their-political-leanings/

I think Perd has a point about it being easier to accept temporal injustice if one believes in an eternal reckoning. A pragmatic government or politician might even see that as beneficial regardless of their actual belief.

I wasn't arguing Perd's point that it's easier to accept temporal injustice if one believes in an eternal reckoning.  I was objecting to the statement that "I think it's true (could be wrong) that most people on the far left do not believe in hell. Certainly communism discourages such. Left-wing religion tends to disbelieve."

Atheists and some Agnostics certainly fall into that category, but are a pretty small percentage of the population.  (Wiki says 6ish %)  but most everyone else has an afterlife and some kinda of incentive to be good, It's kinda a defining point of religion writ large.  I think your links, cordex, bear that out:

Everyone of those, even the blue leaning ones have an afterlife with a reckoning.  Hinduism and Buddhism with continual reincarnation are the least explicit, but still there, and the rest of those pretty much explicitly believe in the Christian Judgment and Hell, or a very close analouge.

Full on Communists aside (and they are another conversation, despite their small numbers)  Faith in God{s} and an afterlife does not  seem to correlate to any particular ploitics or moral stance in the US.  In Perd's defense he said he was just musing and could be wrong.

I'll now brace myself for the "No True Scotsman Christian" arguments.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #1138 on: February 25, 2023, 01:02:50 PM »
Interesting chart.  The Christian denominations identified as "Mainline" appear to be the ones that are accepting of Biblically unsupported behavior and/or push leftist ideologies.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1139 on: February 25, 2023, 01:06:40 PM »
The chart came from the link cordex posted.

As far as the behavior, I guess that depends on one's point of view.  I suspect the churches identified as "mainline" have folks that can biblically support their doctrinal choices.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #1140 on: February 25, 2023, 01:24:32 PM »
Christian Identity churches used biblical quotes out of context to support their racist teachings, doesn't mean that it is sound Christian theology.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #1141 on: February 25, 2023, 02:30:59 PM »
I was unfamiliar with the term 'Christian Identity', so I googled it and found this explanation: https://www.middlebury.edu/institute/academics/centers-initiatives/ctec/ctec-publications/christian-identitys-new-role-extreme-right  I was unaware of the connection with the Aryan Nations, which had a compound up in the Idaho Panhandle and they got a lot of attention in the Pacific NW at the time.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1142 on: February 25, 2023, 03:06:55 PM »
Christian Identity churches used biblical quotes out of context to support their racist teachings, doesn't mean that it is sound Christian theology.

100% correct.  As did churches like Westboro Baptist church, with similarly dodgy theology.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1143 on: February 25, 2023, 04:44:40 PM »
Interesting chart.  The Christian denominations identified as "Mainline" appear to be the ones that are accepting of Biblically unsupported behavior and/or push leftist ideologies.

The leadership of the national Methodist church helped found Handgun Control, Incorporated, and was very active in the anti-gun fight for a very long time.

I believe they've calmed down somewhat, but ideologically the United Methodist church is still VERY left.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1144 on: February 25, 2023, 04:58:40 PM »
 :facepalm: :rofl:

Woman posts some of the hot catches on her friend’s lesbian dating app
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023/02/25/woman-posts-some-of-the-hot-catches-on-her-friends-lesbian-dating-app/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #1145 on: February 25, 2023, 05:19:21 PM »
:facepalm: :rofl:

Woman posts some of the hot catches on her friend’s lesbian dating app
https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2023/02/25/woman-posts-some-of-the-hot-catches-on-her-friends-lesbian-dating-app/

I feel like Zachary got drunk and made that profile after one too many "I must be a lesbian too" frat jokes.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #1146 on: February 26, 2023, 11:28:46 AM »
If it wasn't for those darn kids Christofascists

Teacher’s thread claiming sex between adults and minors is not ‘intrinsically harmful’ HORRIFIES Twitter
https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2023/02/26/teachers-thread-claiming-sex-between-adults-and-minors-is-not-intrinsically-harmful-horrifies-twitter/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #1147 on: February 27, 2023, 09:34:57 AM »
I have heard a lot of people claiming that pedophiles are perverts the left will be normalizing next.

This seems likely.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #1148 on: February 27, 2023, 09:50:06 AM »
You're not paying close enough attention if you don't see them already working towards that.
Drag queen story hour, sexualizing 5 year olds and throwing around terms like "minor attracted person" has a goal.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #1149 on: February 27, 2023, 03:49:09 PM »
I was objecting to the statement that "I think it's true (could be wrong) that most people on the far left do not believe in hell. Certainly communism discourages such. Left-wing religion tends to disbelieve."

Atheists and some Agnostics certainly fall into that category, but are a pretty small percentage of the population.  (Wiki says 6ish %)  but most everyone else has an afterlife and some kinda of incentive to be good, It's kinda a defining point of religion writ large. 
I guess that kind of depends on where fistful was drawing the "far left" line.

It would absolutely shock me if there was any truth whatsoever to the idea that only 6% of the population of the US are atheist or agnostic.  Seems like you'd have to be exceptionally narrow in your definition of non-religious to get there.  The surveys I've seen are closer to 30% non-religious, and that has doubled in the past 20 or so years.  Also, a whole bunch of "religious" people of all flavors are socially religious but by any measure of observance or belief are entirely irreligious.  As the social stigma of atheism has declined more people are willing to admit to their lack of belief both publicly and to pollsters.  That doesn't even get into the "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual" crowd whose beliefs are almost completely indefinable.